IGNORED

How Much do You Exercise?

ChetlovesMer

Do You Get 150 Minutes of Moderate Exercise Each Week AND 2 Days of Muscle Building Exercise?   

22 members have voted

1. 1. How much exercise do you get (not counting time on the course)?

• I get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise each week and I get at least 2 days of muscle building exercise.
    • I get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise each week but I don't get at least 2 days of muscle building exercise.
    • I get at least 2 days of muscle building exercise but I don't get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise each week.
    • I rarely get the recommended amount of exercise.
    • I almost never get enough exercise.
  2. 2. How structured is your exercise?

• My exercise is very structured. I follow a workout plan.
    • Most of my workouts are structured, but if I end up doing something pretty physical, I'll count that as my workout and skip the scheduled workout.
    • All of my exercise comes from unstructured activities; Free time or leisure play.
    • I like to vary my exercise routines. I'll go structured for a while and then go unstructured.
    • I have to get super creative to get my workout in. I have to do wall-sits while waiting for my coffee to brew, or squats while I brush my teeth.
  3. 3. How's your exercise motivation?

• I workout regularly and rarely take anytime off.
    • I'm very streaky. I'll workout for a while and then take some time off, not too much time, because I need to get back into it.
    • I'm all over the place. Sometimes I work out for months straight. Sometimes I take a few months off.
    • I'll workout or exercise for a couple of days and then take extended time off. Then start again for a couple of days. Rinse and repeat.
    • I can't even find time or motivation to start exercising.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

must be the honest clean livin'

I like to read before bed, but not "in bed". 

One habit I got into a long time ago, that I think really helps is to only use your bed for sleeping...  Well, except for possibly one other thing. 

But, I don't read in bed. I don't watch tv in bed, and I don't surf the web in bed. I think it works. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I run 4 days a week for 17 miles total. It ends up being roughly 150-160 minutes of exercise per week. My family and I also go for daily walks, which tend to be about 30 minutes a day. This is how I stay in good shape to do the things I want to do (golf). I could definitely do some strength training - it's more about finding the time to do it. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Have you tried Melatonin Gummies?  

2 hours ago, klineka said:

Also not sure what your habits are before bed, but things like having a routine, not having a TV on/in the bedroom, not being on your phone and doing some reading while winding down before bed are all strategies that could help if you aren't doing them already.

I've read some recommendations to stop phone/TV watching like an hour before you want to go to sleep.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:
  1. Get morning sunlight. Like the light just as the sun comes up over the horizon. There is receptors in the eyes that react to that sunlight that triggers the circadian rhythm for the entire day. 
  2. Have a routine wake up and sleep schedule. 
  3. Do not drink caffeine with in 9-10 hours of bedtime. 
  4. Magnesium levels can be low, which is linked to poor sleep. 
  5. Keep the bedroom dark and cool (65-degrees). 
  6. Expect to be really alert 1 hour before your natural bedtime. This is a common and natural occurrence in people. 

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

Also, if you are waking up at the same time before the alarm goes off (assuming it isn't hours before), that is a good thing.  Going back to sleep is what messes with the body's circadian rhythm. if you are waking up without the clock, you are doing well. Getting into sunlight as quickly as possible, as well, in the mornings is another good way of helping your sleep. And then everything @klineka said along with adding in not eating too close to bedtime.

Melatonin is a good option but just use it wisely.

I break most of those “Rules” but do mot go back to sleep once I wake.  I’m not overly concerned since I get through the day without getting tired.  I figure I’m waking up rested & ready to go so must be OK….or I’m just used to it.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

13 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Well, except for possibly one other thing.

Pillow fights?

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I weight train every monday and friday. I do 1 set to failure at a controlled pace for 8 - 10 exercises. If the weight is right I hit failure between 90 and 120 seconds. I've been consistent with this for 18 months. It's hard and it only takes about 30 minutes. I have a trainer which means I have an appointment which means I actually go... every time.

I also go in spurts of doing cardio work. Lately I've been walking at a 12 degree incline at 3mph. This gets me right into that zone 2 sweet spot that longevity doctors like Peter Attia recommend. I'm not as consistent with this as the strength training but I intend to get 3 thirty minute sessions every week.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, cedrictheo said:

12 degree incline at 3mph

Feels really steep when walking, doesn't feel that steep for low spinners. 😉

• Funny 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Have you tried Melatonin Gummies?  

I would not recommend taking melatonin. There are a handful of other things you can do first. I am not a fan of this. I would actually try giving up caffeine for at least 3-5 days to gain some sensitivity back towards it.  

17 minutes ago, cedrictheo said:

I do 1 set to failure at a controlled pace for 8 - 10 exercises. If the weight is right I hit failure between 90 and 120 seconds. I've been consistent with this for 18 months. It's hard and it only takes about 30 minutes.

I always go till I feel like I am 2-3 reps away from failure. Studies have shown stopping like 0-5 reps from failure has the same effect. 

We aimed to perform a systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of training to muscle failure or non-failure on muscular strength and hypertr…

If you like going till you can't push the weight anymore, that's cool. Just might make life a bit easier for the same benefit. 😉

For those who are looking at zone 2. Here is an entire video on it from Peter Attia.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I always go till I feel like I am 2-3 reps away from failure. Studies have shown stopping like 0-5 reps from failure has the same effect. 

You have to know where it is, though, and one of the ways to know where it is is to actually get there.

😉 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I would not recommend taking melatonin. There are a handful of other things you can do first.

I agree with you 100% on this. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I’ll start with how I answered. Since being on the course property is my job, I’m including it. In summer, I’m averaging 22,000 steps a day and over 150min a week of moderate exercise. I have not realistically worked out/muscle building by any structure for a long time. Other than the occasional push ups/pull ups, I haven’t had anything or time or motivation. I have been doing a lot of speed training, but I’m not sure that qualifies. I like to get 7hrs of sleep but I’ve been playing my new video game religiously, so sleep is around 6hrs lately. My resting heart rate is terrible, at least according to fitbit. I attribute that to lack of muscle building workouts and the fact that I drink too much. 

However, now that my youngest is 2yrs old and I’m most definitely not having more kids, I feel more motivated to get in better shape. I will be installing a cable machine with pulley system in my golf school this off season. I’ve done some TPI stuff and they do a lot with that. It’s simple enough, small, and convenient. My friend is a physical trainer so I’ll ask for ideas on structure. I could do a gym membership but I’d only really use it 4 months of the year. So not sure it’s worth it.

I do watch my weight. I know I need to be better about my overall health. Having young kids was/is tough for me. I definitely stress out a lot and have anxiety more than my wife about their health. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I would not recommend taking melatonin. There are a handful of other things you can do first. I am not a fan of this. I would actually try giving up caffeine for at least 3-5 days to gain some sensitivity back towards it.  

If you like going till you can't push the weight anymore, that's cool. Just might make life a bit easier for the same benefit. 😉

For those who are looking at zone 2. Here is an entire video on it from Peter Attia.

I also agree than melatonin, or any other sleep aid, is not my preference.  I feel if I want to make a change I would first change the “habits” in hopes they do the trick and only look to some type of sleep aid if nothing else worked and I felt it a problem that needed to be fixed.

i’ve only watched some of the video but it is an interesting take on how to target intensity in the cardio workout.  I’ve typically just used heart rate but maybe there is a better way.  On the treadmill I tend to be in the 3-3.5 MPH range he mentioned but I vary the incline/decline to increase and decrease the intensity,  I do not do a steady/consistent level as he was discussing.

Edited by StuM

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

32+ months now of regular exercise, and in April it will be five years on the keto diet. I’ve gone from 210 to 169 (I’m 6-0 tall) and I lost that weight over five years. I would consider myself a gym rat at this point. I make a point to get enough sleep and I make time for this whenever I can in my day. I rarely break a sweat when lifting, so this isn’t very high intensity but it still builds strength (for me). I try to do something active every day. Occasionally I’m too tired (like once every 9 days) and I take a day off. I try to go on walks daily as well.

Post dinner selfie last night. Not bad for 40.
IMG_2279.jpeg

My exercise plan is largely founded upon the fundamentals I learned in rehab from my past surgeries. It’s why I don’t push too hard in the gym. Just doing anything, and with good form, is enough for me to move the needle forward.

I guess the only time I really sweat is on my peloton rides and I only do those once in a while.

• Thumbs Up 2

Constantine

3 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

32+ months now of regular exercise, and in April it will be five years on the keto diet. I’ve gone from 210 to 169 (I’m 6-0 tall) and I lost that weight over five years. I would consider myself a gym rat at this point. I make a point to get enough sleep and I make time for this whenever I can in my day. I rarely break a sweat when lifting, so this isn’t very high intensity but it still builds strength (for me). I try to do something active every day. Occasionally I’m too tired (like once every 9 days) and I take a day off. I try to go on walks daily as well.

Post dinner selfie last night. Not bad for 40.
IMG_2279.jpeg

My exercise plan is largely founded upon the fundamentals I learned in rehab from my past surgeries. It’s why I don’t push too hard in the gym. Just doing anything, and with good form, is enough for me to move the needle forward.

I guess the only time I really sweat is on my peloton rides and I only do those once in a while.

5 years that is no longer a diet but a lifestyle.

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, saevel25 said:

Interesting. All the different weight lifting protocols reminds me of the various swing patterns (morad, Gankas, leadbetter, etc). They all seem to work half decent if you stick with them. They all have trade offs (maybe you give up some accuracy for some speed).

Luckily with weight lifting I’m not switching methodologies every 2 months… so I actually see long term results. Can’t say the same about my golf swing.

Walking 18 holes is my regular weekly exercise. I will work out with my wife at Orange Theory or Hot Yoga, once/twice a month and spar light (very light...) boxing with my son at home twice/week and bit of ski machine exercise in season on a ski slider (Aeroski). I am of the opinion, light exercise = good toxin irrigation = longevity for mind/body.  

As an aside, I believe reasonable diet control/food portions is much more impactful to health. For me, it is almost impossible to overcome poor diet habits with exercise, regardless of how much.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

2 muscle building workouts + cardio. 
3 stretch workouts
3 speed training protocols
2 range sessions (at home)
3 times hitting the course. 

I took 1 month off of everything because of my recent holiday in Europe, felt like a sin. Immediately started again after the trip ended.

PD- In Europe I walked 10 to 20 km per day so is not like I rubbed my belly al trip long.

• 2 months later...

I recently started working out every day on a rowing machine. I read somewhere that rowing works more muscle groups in the body than any other form of exercise. I bought a Concept 2 machine and I've been diligently following their "Workout of the Day" which is sent to my phone every morning. The phone connects wirelessly to the machine's monitor and it, in turn, steps you through the workout that lasts anywhere between 25-45 minutes. Results? Abdominal muscles that have been MIA for a decade are reappearing, definition in my shoulders and biceps has returned, my thighs are now as hard as rocks and best of all, if the Trackman numbers at my local Golf Galaxy are any indication, my swing speed has returned to what it was five years ago. I don't know if this will help my golf scores or not but regardless, I just feel better.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• 1 month later...

I walk 30 mins a day on my lunch break. It is not very intense (since i dont want to get sweaty in my work clothes), so just a touch above leisurely.

3 days a week I walk on the treadmill for 60 mins. I alternate the incline from 4 to 10 for a couple minutes, once every ten minutes.

I lift my kettlebells nearly everyday. I have a couple complex routines. I find just 15 minutes and my heart rates is elevated 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride