IGNORED

Longest Iron in Bag... And More

18 members have voted

1. 1. What irons (not companies) do you carry (not hybrid in your bag)

• 1-iron
    • 2-iron
    • 3-iron
    • 4-iron
    • 5-iron
    • 6-iron
    • 7-iron
    • 8-iron
    • 9-iron
    • Pitching wedge

On 9/30/2015 at 3:18 AM, Dave2512 said:

Should have mentioned my 4 is 21 degrees so more 3 than 4.

What irons did you have back in September with a 21° 4-iron? The Clevelands?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

@Mike Boatright, your answer makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... It doesn't answer the question at all...

Translation below.

hyrogliph.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 iron. Cobra 20 degrees. 

It might soon be a Cobra 3 iron for a pure driving iron. I hit the 4 iron very well, I might try a 3 iron for fun, fairways, and a few more yards for when the driver misbehaves. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I have a 4 iron as my longest iron.  I feel like my skill with the high irons is such that I'm just better off hitting my 5 wood a little shorter than I would trying to get a 3 iron to stick.

Driver: Taylormade r7

Fairway Woods: Taylormade Burner 3 and 5 woods

Irons: Taylormade r7 XD 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 47*, 52*, and 58*

Putter: Yes! Tiffany

Ball: Nike One Tour (I found a box of these in my garage and they are great)

2 iron if we count a driving iron... it feels and sets up like an iron but has an extended sole and a graphite shaft. I carry a 3 iron as well which I used to use off the tee and into par 5's quite often. Both are very fun to hit.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

USED to bag a 2 iron. Low stingers off the tee and off the grass in windy conditions. Now, it's a 3 iron with no hybrids in the bag. Hybrids tend to balloon on me no matter the conditions.

Longest iron in my bag is a 6 iron. My longer clubs are adjustable Driver, 3 FW, 3-4 adjustable hybrid and 5W,

3i. Mostly for long par 3s in the 185-195 range.  My best shot today was the 3 iron to about 10 -12 ft missed the putt but easy par, if only I hit my driver as straight ;-)

• 3 months later...
On 9/29/2015 at 5:48 PM, onthehunt526 said:

I was just wondering, what we were all carrying as our longest iron and why? I'll start, right now its 4i, but I have both 4i and 4h in the bag, at least until I get my wedges (50°, 54°, and 58°) then it will be 5i...

Currently, 10+ months since my original post starting this thread... It's a 5i. But some days it's a 6, others it's a 7, and still others it is a 3 or 4. It totally depends on how confident I am in the crucial transition zone on a given day. 

People (you guys included) probably think that I buy clubs all the time... I have 17 (not including different putters) I rotate in and out mostly a mix of hybrids/fairways vs irons.

@iacas, just wondered have you tested any of the hollow utility driving irons? I've heard (I have my Adams DHY Lumpy) the trajectory is lower than "traditional" hybrids.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I recently put the 4i back in the bag. I was usings 4h and 3h but never seemed to need the 3h. I hit my 4h 10-15 yards longer than my 4i. I like having the 4i for punch shots or keeping it low in the wind. My setup is Driver, 4w, 4h, 4i-gw, 54 & 58 wedges, and edel.

5i

I can hit the 4i, but the 4h goes the same distance and it's easier to hit.  Lately on windy days, I've been wishing for a 4i though.

I can't hit a 3i very consistently, so my skill limit is somewhere around the 4i anyway...

If I bought a 4i, I'd likely get a cavity back instead of extending my muscle back irons....

Bill - 

15 minutes ago, Asmanning95 said:

I have a 4 iron because it came with the set

Almost the same line as I was thinking. I have a 3 iron because it came with the set.

The only time I use it is when I'm punching out from under a tree. Although I had a really sweet puncher in my club championship last week. 160-yarder to the green.

3i   Less dispersion than my hybrid although it goes a few yards less.   I generally don't have any issues hitting it off the deck.   Mizuno doesn't have a 2-iron for the set.   I find the clubs ok enough to hit to get one, if they had it, to play around with.   The 2-iron would be good for a number of places where I choke down on my 4-wood.

—Adam

20 minutes ago, Asmanning95 said:

I have a 4 iron because it came with the set

I've been waiting someone to give that reason!!!!! :beer:

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

4 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Almost the same line as I was thinking. I have a 3 iron because it came with the set.

The only time I use it is when I'm punching out from under a tree. Although I had a really sweet puncher in my club championship last week. 160-yarder to the green.

I do use it pretty regularly, getting out of trouble, 2nd shots on par 5's (sometimes 3rd or 4th shots:whistle:) and of the tee on par 4's. Probably one of the most used irons in my bag actually. A bit of an all-purpose club.