IGNORED

What is the worst weather conditions you have ever played in???

mako224
Note: This thread is 3101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Up in Ely Nevada some years ago. Snow, icey rain,  and 50 + mph wind. It was a family deal with other folks showing up from Oregon and Idaho. Wind chill was way down close to zero as I recall.  Ice would form up on the club shafts. It was an unexpected storm, but we were all there, so why not. We had the course to ourselves which was an 8 some with family spectators too. The 19th made a small fortune on hot chocolate, Bailys Cream,  and different Bacardi drinks.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, Patch said:

Up in Ely Nevada some years ago. Snow, icey rain,  and 50 + mph wind. It was a family deal with other folks showing up from Oregon and Idaho. Wind chill was way down close to zero as I recall.  Ice would form up on the club shafts. It was an unexpected storm, but we were all there, so why not. We had the course to ourselves which was an 8 some with family spectators too. The 19th made a small fortune on hot chocolate, Bailys Cream,  and different Bacardi drinks.

Nice.  My family used to go flyfishing in the Ruby Mountains and at Ruby Marshes a bit outside of Ely.  

I'll play in pretty much anything. Two times stand out to me. When I played when it was just above freezing, and it started snowing on the 14th hole. Finished the round, though, because only had 4 holes left. One of my playing partners said it was a "Forest Gump" day because stupid is as stupid does playing golf in that weather. The other was playing in a steady downpour when it was 50 degrees out. That was pretty miserable, and if your ball was in the rough, you tended to get more water than ball. I did not have a good round that day.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

40-50 mph winds in Mesquite, NV.     Getting pummeled by tumbleweeds on the tee box (had to time your tee shot so you didn't get mowed down by 6 ft tumbleweeds bouncing at us) & balls wouldn't stay put on the greens - they would blow right off.    Course actually gave us a partial refund - first time I've ever asked for a refund for an unplayable condition.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

About three years ago, we teed off one April morning.  Usually the weather is very unpredictable in CO especially in early spring.  Started off nice and sunny but by the second hole, the clouds started rolling in.  And by the time we got to the 5th hole, it started to snow.  We played holes 5-9 in lightly snowing condition.  Needless to say, we stopped after 9 and forget about putting.  The ball would be a big as grapefruit (exaggeration, of course) by the time it got to the hole.  We all gave 2 putts once we reached green but one putt if we made the first one.  Because of the snow, the ball did not travel far even if we hit it hard.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I've done mid-30's, steady rain, and 20-30mph winds. Packed it in after 5 holes. 

Once while walking down the 16th hole of now closed Miry Run CC I saw what appeared to be a funnel cloud touching down off in the distance. Thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but listening to radio on the drive home confirmed a tornado had formed in the area.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Golf outing in Lake Tahoe area.  Squaw Valley, to be specific.  Day of event, weather called for mostly sunny and low 60s.  By the time we made the turn a front was blowing through dropping the temps to low-30s, high winds and SNOW!!!

Needless to say, our group cleaned the clubhouse of any and every warm-weather clothing item.  Brutal.  Just brutal!

Teeing off on #10 was the first time I'd ever felt wind blowing my driver head off line during a swing.  Like numbskulls, my team was one of only two groups who braved the elements and finished the round.  My team?  Finished 2nd of two!  Great.

Dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

10/12/2009.  Super Typhoon Melor's remnants hit the Monterrey Peninsula with torrential rain and winds of 45+ mph, gusting higher.  We were scheduled to play Spyglass Hill.  The power was out and the clubhouse guys recommended we stick with the first 6 "ocean" holes as trees and branches were falling all over the place.  Along the shoreline the rain hurt one's face since it had sand particles in the drops.  After 6 holes I probably weighed an extra 20-30 pounds from all the water in my clothes, rain suit, shoes.  I have played in similar winds and colder temperatures but I have never been wetter.

Edited by bkuehn1952
correct grammar

Brian Kuehn

Played in the hail in a high school match in Brewer Maine, sometime in 1981.  Have never been so cold playing golf.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, Gator Hazard said:

Nice.  My family used to go flyfishing in the Ruby Mountains and at Ruby Marshes a bit outside of Ely.  

I know the Ruby area quite well. One of my wife's favorite photography spots. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Going to the driving range the day Hurricane Sandy was coming in was a lot of fun. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Where do I start. Played in Hawaii 30 years ago on Mauna Kea and the winds were blowing 40 MPH with heavy rains. Not too bad. 15 years ago I played on a course that two of the holes were closed because the rains that month flooded those holes. The course was obviously playing lift clean and cheat. But there was not a spot you could put your ball that water did not come over your shoe when stepping on the ground to take your stance. It was in the low 30's and yes raining, but by the 8th hole it started snowing. I played the last hole with the ground totally white with snow. when I go in (I was the only one on the course at the time) people came out of the bar area and were pointing at me and laughing. I was covered in snow on my back as the wind was coming from behind me and my push cart and bag were also while with snow.

This same course we had a huge fire that swept toward  our course. It was not under control and had been burning for weeks. The advisory was to be ready to evacuate as the fire came within a mile of the city. We were out playing with masks on  so as not to breathe in too much smoke. When we finally got in after the round we were told there was a fifteen minute advisory meaning if they said get out of town you had 15 minutes or you were cut off from getting out as there was only one road to get out as the others were shut down. My wife and I had our truck packed ready to go at a moments notice, but a few days later they had the fire controlled enough that things were relaxed and eventually they had it  contained . It was touch and go there for about 2-3 weeks. The fire burned nearly 500,000 acres in Southern Oregon. It started in July and was finally put out in December. We continued to play the rest of the year, but mostly with masks on until September. 

Ireland ... Ballybunion old course ... cold, wind so strong it blew the pull cart over the minute you let go of it ... drizzle ... but hey, I was in Ireland, and playing golf ... nothing could ruin the day!  

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

38 minutes ago, isukgolf said:

Ireland ... Ballybunion old course ... cold, wind so strong it blew the pull cart over the minute you let go of it ... drizzle ... but hey, I was in Ireland, and playing golf ... nothing could ruin the day!  

And Ballybunion had fabulous seafood chowder to help you warm up.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Lightning thunder and heavy sideways rain. My son (when he was 13) and I huddled under a little pine tree far away from the taller trees while the rain occasionally hit us from the side. The tree was short and round and had a lot of shelter from the top and sides. It stopped after just half an hour and we were able to finish the round.

We watched one party pass us up during the heaviest rain. Apparently nothing was going to stop them from finishing the round. Ironically, we passed them up as they were warming and drying themselves 20 minutes or so later down the course.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Kinda hard to say which was worst.Ive played in steady pouring rain two days in a row till water was standing o green.Played in 30 degree weather with winds howling 30mph.Played in some storms where bolts of lightning were coming down before we could get t shelter.Had storm with strong wind and hail beating down on our carts.Played in some sleet before but wasnt  as bad as cold and rainy windy.

Man, you guys are hardcore playing under those conditions. You have my respect.

I've played many times when it was below freezing, and a couple times in heavy downpours. Waited out a lightning storm sitting in a cart.

Jon

In the early 90's we played a 2 man scramble in a Tropical Storm in Sebastian Florida.  Sixty MPH winds, but no rain.  Rain was on the eastern side.  We were the only team to finish under par at -1.

In the early 2000's we played two days in a row in 114 to 118 degree heat.  Walked.  By the second day I was crawling.

Every year a guy at work has a Christmas tourney here in the Tampa area in the Tuesday between Christmas and New Years.  36 holes.  The last year I played, we teed off on the McDill AFB course with the temp in the teens and the wind howling.  It was the most miserable day of my life.  My lower lip cracked and was gushing blood for a week (slight exaggeration about gushing).  Never played the tourney again and won't ever in the future.

We were playing the final day of a Ryder Cup match.  Started as a slight rain.  By the middle of the round it was a gully washers.  We wanted to finish the round, so we played on.  Standing water on the fairways.  The greens were lakes.  We would move the balls to find a path to the hole that wasn't a lake.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!