ronaldkuntoro

How Do You Hit 170 Yards With 7 Iron?

238 posts / 138738 viewsLast Reply

This is an odd thread to me.  A 170 7 iron really isn’t that crazy or uncommon so I’m amused that some seem to take issue with (or even care that much about) such claims.

Edited by Golfingdad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

My 7 iron is 140 but then again I'm 68 and have had three back surgeries. I also need to hit it clean off a good lie.

My 7 is 30.5 degrees. I can get that around 170 routinely. I hit 8 to a back pin at 165 today. I have a driver speed of 103-105. I don’t exactly swing easy with my irons either.

How do I hit a 7i 170 yards? It's easy. I use a 7W.

Down hill and down wind?  Might should have used an 8.

When I was younger I could hit a 7 iron 175 in the air. It's just quality of strike to be honest, and a free swing. Hard swings will do you very little, as the strike is compromised and the speed could actually be lower. Swing free...think athletic, very little conscious manipulation of the club, swinging without much thought...

I've never hit one even close to that, but one thing is an absolutely certainty ...

If I do, I'll be 20 yards or more off the backside of the green.

12 minutes ago, MaestroFarceNugget said:

It's just quality of strike to be honest, and a free swing.

No it's not. You can strike it perfectly and have a free/loose/easy swing but if you don't generate enough clubhead speed (and then in turn ball speed) it won't matter how perfect your strike was the ball simply will not travel 170 yards with a 7 iron.

52 minutes ago, MaestroFarceNugget said:

Swing free...think athletic, very little conscious manipulation of the club, swinging without much thought...

No offense... but this ‘ideology’ has come up before and it’s really pure nonsense. I’m sure there are people who swing like this. They either have profound, natural talent, they’re conning themselves ( and maybe others) or they hit a 7i 120yds and don’t care.

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No offense... but this ‘ideology’ has come up before and it’s really pure nonsense. I’m sure there are people who swing like this. They either have profound, natural talent, they’re conning themselves ( and maybe others) or they hit a 7i 120yds and don’t care.

I guess being one out of four ain't a bad thing....😀

How to hit a 7 iron 170 yards.... Me: grabs 9 iron lol.... Well maybe a real easy 8 iron. Although it may depend on wind or the situation but I will pull my actual 7 iron from 180 to 200. 

My Mevo showed my best 9i carried 147.2yds. Pretty good considering I was hitting floater range balls I think. 

On 7/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, Golfingdad said:

This is an odd thread to me.  A 170 7 iron really isn’t that crazy or uncommon so I’m amused that some seem to take issue with (or even care that much about) such claims.

I think the thread was created when a 7i is today’s 9i or something?  The OP seemed like a traditional player possibly hitting blades? 🤔

31 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think the thread was created when a 7i is today’s 9i or something?  The OP seemed like a traditional player possibly hitting blades? 🤔

2010?  I don’t think that was long enough ago.

I used to hit my 1997 Titleists 10 or so yards further than I currently hit my 2012 pings. Granted, I was younger and swung harder.

10 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

2010?  I don’t think that was long enough ago.

I used to hit my 1997 Titleists 10 or so yards further than I currently hit my 2012 pings. Granted, I was younger and swung harder.

Yeah, but back in 2010 you were more exceptional 😁

My 7-iron went 150 before I started to learn proper technique.  170 is pretty typical for me now.  None of my golfing buddies hit it anywhere near 170.  For casual golfers without knowledge of a proper golf swing, I think 170 is largely unattainable, even when you are young.

I’m not trying to knock this group of guys but damn...are they young? Guys from my generation certainly didn’t/don’t have issues about ‘hurting one’s feelings’ about something so benign. You tell them the situation and that’s that. Done. No hugging or emotions involved. You’ll play with them when it’s not crowded or they’ll have to pay attention to the etiquettes of golf and speed it up. That’s it.