IGNORED

What Ball Is Everybody Playing?

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This will blow your mind: .... There are also 4 and even 5 piece balls out there!
giphy.gif.dced1f7bfe157290f5e6bc5ceee9faeb.gif

I'll see your 5 piece ball and raise you a 6 piece Maxfli U6.

Maxfli-U6-11.jpg

• Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, snapfade said:

I'll see your 5 piece ball and raise you a 6 piece Maxfli U6.

Maxfli-U6-11.jpg

Nice, 👍

At some point we are just getting silly. 

How much do those layers really contribute to the overall performance of the ball? Reminds of razors. I use a twin blade razor, but there are 6 blade razors on the market. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Nice, 👍

At some point we are just getting silly. 

How much do those layers really contribute to the overall performance of the ball? Reminds of razors. I use a twin blade razor, but there are 6 blade razors on the market. 

There was an article in The Onion twenty or so years ago that was parody at the time, with Gillette making an announcement that they're going to five blades.

I would post a link, but there's vulgarity in the title.  

On that note, we're way off topic from the thread's intent. :offtopic: 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Pro VI X for a long time already

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

• 1 month later...

The problem I have been facing in the last couple of years as I get older is holding firm greens with mid to long irons. We have had a new green super the last couple of years and he has really firmed up the course, which is what we wanted. I don't have the greatest club head speed, so I have always wondered if the ball could make that much of a difference. I have used ProV's, ProV1x, Bridgestones and Callaways without showing any real difference. A couple of months ago a friend gave me a dozen Srixon Z-Star XV's as a thank you for an invite to my course. I thought, why not, how could it hurt? Turns out it has made a huge difference. My ball flight is higher and they have less spin off the tee. Straighter, longer drives and higher ball flight into greens with the irons, so they are holding the greens. I never really thought a ball would make that much difference, but I am sold on this Srixon Z-Star XV. My scores are the proof. 

Bill M

TM TP5. Greens grab off mid/short irons is as good as anything out there. Allows me to be a tad more aggressive towards marginal pins. Apparently, it's easier to lag a 25 footer to tap in range than a 40 footer..... something I've suspected for years.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:58 PM, snapfade said:

I will now go on record that as of this day I will never buy a Vice golf ball. I just had to sit through the most annoying commercial on YT. What a disaster that was. Stupid music with stupid looking people.

I think I just saw this same commercial. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think I just saw this same commercial. 

Commercials can have the opposite effect. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Callaway Warbird.
I like mid-low spin around the greens so I only like to play 2 piece golf balls. The problem with this balls is that they are normally distance balls for slow swing speed players, so the compression is low and with a fast swing speed I loose distance. The Warbirds are the only ones that are 2-piece but with hard compression. The best of both worlds, at least for me.

I seem to shift recently I was playing only TP5 in comps ... now I'm back to ProV1 ...love putting the ProV1 ..

earlier in the year AVXs ... much comes down to the fact what I have left .. got mostly PROV1 so will continue to play them till I run down my stocks ...if I don't lose them they go to the practice bag after 4-5 rounds

I like to play with other non-brand-new balls I have in the bag during practice rounds.. not stressed If I lose or damage etc ..

Is funny I've come back to ProV1 ball after many years playing others TP5 , AVX , super softs, tour PF etc

Go Foxy Go

Currently playing the Inesis Tour 900.  A tour ball that is fairly close to the Pro V and any other tour ball I have played.  I got into it because of pricing.  It is at around 30 dollars a dozen in India, while most bigger brands are at least 50 dollars.  The most expensive ones are around 75 dollars or so.  This is what happens when there is only one golf ball manufacturer in India, who make cheap 2 piece balls and everything else needs to be imported.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
On 9/17/2023 at 10:11 AM, arturo28mx said:

Is there a takeaway here? Something to watch specifically? It's 54 minutes long, after all. 😄 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic, but I read through it all and found some very interesting viewpoints and I thought I would add a few of my own. 

I used to use whatever ball I found on the course or on sale.  I didn't have the game to have it make much difference. Then I started noticing that the feel of the ball was much different on different balls so I started using balls that felt good. Once I started to get a little control over my shots I realized that I could benefit from using a ball that was geared too my game. I saw a lot of high handicappers with low swing speeds using high compression premium balls because someone told them they were the longest off the tee. This is a mistake a lot of people make. 

I did a LOT of research (probably too much) on what ball would be best for ME.  Distance being probably the least important thing. If you are buying a ball because it goes farther than the rest you are probably missing out on a lot of what is important in making the choice.

For ME these are the five deciding factors of why I chose my ball in order of importance. Your mileage might vary but this is my 2 cents.

1)  Color.  I know it sounds stupid but my eyes are getting worse and with a white ball about 30% of my tee shots I don't even see where it went. I was losing balls on the course on shots that felt good to me. There is nothing worse than hitting a ball you think is in the middle of the fairway and never finding it. White balls are no longer an option for me. 

2)  Spin on the greens.  I had a problem with my balls rolling over the green a lot. Even with my wedges. Using a ball with a premium cover was a HUGE help for me. 

3)  Feel off the irons (and putter). Some balls just feel mushy or like I'm hitting a rock. A ball that feels better to you will preform better. 

4)  Dispersion.   I usually hit pretty straight off the tee but the difference of just off the fairway and just on is huge on the desert courses here in Arizona. 

5)  Distance.   I don't feel I lose many strokes if my tee shot is a few yards shorter, but I really didn't have to sacrifice this much because I found  a 70 compression ball that is matched pretty good to my swing speed. 

My choice in the end was the Srixon Q-Star Tour. It checks all the boxes for me and I really can tell the difference. 

I guess my point is there is more to consider when choosing a ball than distance and no website is going to tell you what ball will work the best for you. We all have to figure that out for ourselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1