IGNORED

Titleist Vokeys

Note: This thread is 4599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Titleist Vokeys

• Good/Great
    • Quite average
    • Poor/Really Bad
    • Dont Know

I just recently switched my 56° Vokey for a CG15 and I like the feel of the Cleveland better than the Vokey. Don't really know why, but the feel off the CG15 is just softer than than it is with the Vokey. Guess it just suits me better.

I've actually been carrying both for the last month and just using the the Vokey from sand, keeping the Cleveland nice and pretty for playing pitches and chips.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played Vokeys, switched to Clevelands and am now back to Vokeys. For me they're very consistent and I like their feel.

YMMV.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

been playing Cleveland my whole life. Switched to Vokeys early this year, and went back to my Clevelands. Not sure why, both great wedges, i won't say one feels better than the other... i'm just used to the Clevelands.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I like the spin and shot making capabilities but I think the Mizuno Mpt10 has them beat in every category with the exception of durability.

In my Nexos

Driver R9 10.5*matrix ozik xcon 6
3wood dunlop Reaction 15*
hybrid Rescue 09 19* Aldila Re*ax 65 S Irons 755 3-PW project X flighted 5.5 Wedges MP T-10 52* 07 DG S300 WG 706 56* 12* bounce DG Wedge flex1018...

A lot of shameful sh*te on this post, both sides of the issue....man

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• 10 months later...

I have Vokey SM 56 & 60.

I love the 60 degree and use it from 50 yards out and around the green.

The 56 I use from 50+ yards to about 80. (it should be noted I hit the ball REALLY high and as such I lose distance)

I tend not to use my 56 that often, because I am rarely 50 to 80 yards out. I am either closer or farther.

So my 56 gets relegated to bunker work.

For some reason, I find the 56 heavier than the 60. I also find it clunkier. I also find it less forgiving, yet it stops on a dime and checks quick (this could be from the ball coming straight down to green, like it jumped from a plane with no chute).

I am going next week to invesitgate some clevelands on advice of a golf buddy who likes them.

I have a callaway 50 GW, and I am looking to replace my 56 with a 54, this way my wedge set up will be 50/54/60 not 50/56/60.

As much as I like the Vokey SM, they retail for $120 and as I said feels heavier and clunky.

A cleveland can be purchased in my area for $80 AND just feels lighter.....

I might have to switch and then make the decision about swictching back!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

15 handicap using a 60 hahaha that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen :)

Whats in the bag

Titleist 910D2 10.5* UST V2 76g s flex, Titleist 906f4 15.5* UST V2 90g s flex, Titleist 909H 19* voodoo s flex, Titleist 710 CB 3-PW, Vokey TVD 54*, Vokey 60.04 spin milled, Cleveland classic 2 35'', PROV1.

They're ok, but I didn't think they were anything special. I like the large variety of loft/bounce options, but most high end wedges offer that. They just didn't wow me I guess. At least not anywhere near enough to ditch my Scratch wedges.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

They are fine wedges -- not my cup o' tea. But then, all clubs are a matter of how they fit your eye and game.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Theyre very good wedges but they definetly arent the magic clubs that many people seem to think they are.  The biggest knock against them for me personally is the fact that they are cast.  How you can call a cast wedge the best in a part of the game where feel is everything makes no sense to me.

Ive gamed various cast wedges and various forged wedges and for me, there is no comparison between the feel of cast and forged.  Forged has so much more feel and feedback.

Thats not to say that Vokeys are bad clubs, they most definetly are great clubs but the fact that they are cast is a major turn-off for me.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Theyre very good wedges but they definetly arent the magic clubs that many people seem to think they are.  The biggest knock against them for me personally is the fact that they are cast.  How you can call a cast wedge the best in a part of the game where feel is everything makes no sense to me.

Ive gamed various cast wedges and various forged wedges and for me, there is no comparison between the feel of cast and forged.  Forged has so much more feel and feedback.

Thats not to say that Vokeys are bad clubs, they most definetly are great clubs but the fact that they are cast is a major turn-off for me.

Absolutely unbelievable.

People persist with this complete and utter nonsense about the "feel" of forged clubs. It's a complete myth.

Do you seriously think that of all of the hundreds of professionals who play Vokey wedges, NONE of them would say to Titleist words to the effect of:

"You know, I'm contracted to play your clubs, and I like the shape of the Vokeys, but I just need the feel of a forged club. I'd love to see some forged wedges."

They don't, because the feel of Vokeys is fine and it has nothing to do with the manufacturing process.
Not good enough for Stricker, Ogilvy, Fowler, McILroy, Simpson, etc. etc? Give me a break.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Absolutely unbelievable.

People persist with this complete and utter nonsense about the "feel" of forged clubs. It's a complete myth.

Do you seriously think that of all of the hundreds of professionals who play Vokey wedges, NONE of them would say to Titleist words to the effect of:

"You know, I'm contracted to play your clubs, and I like the shape of the Vokeys, but I just need the feel of a forged club. I'd love to see some forged wedges."

They don't, because the feel of Vokeys is fine and it has nothing to do with the manufacturing process.

Not good enough for Stricker, Ogilvy, Fowler, McILroy, Simpson, etc. etc? Give me a break.

Pfft . . . those guys are just using their Vokey to hit golf shots. Once they start "gaming" them, they'll move on to something forged for sure.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Pfft . . . those guys are just using their Vokey to hit golf shots. Once they start "gaming" them, they'll move on to something forged for sure.

LOL.

I'm just waiting for the responses of people who demand to know how I know that they can't tell the difference.

It's a bit like the stereo speaker wire lunatics.

They'll pay $500 a metre for special cables and claim that they can hear the difference.

Anyone who says that they're mistaken can't win because the idiot who coughed up has more sensitive ears and the critic has bad hearing.

I truly find it extraordinary that in this thread we have opinions on a very simple golf club, which is very much like a lot of other golf clubs where people proclaim

"They're OK"

"They're nothing special"

another says they like their "shot making capabilities". WTF?

Others wonder why they don't perform miracles.

And of course now we have the ridiculous "feel" chestnut.

The funniest one I ever saw was where a guy said he liked the Vokeys because he could buy them off the rack and had do do "minimal grinding" -as if it was a wonderful thing that one of the world's major golf equipment companies could produce a club that could ALMOST be played without modification.

For the record -

I have had a dozen or so Vokeys - like them

I have had a few Clevelands - like them

Had Mizunos  - quite liked them

Put a Callaway X-Forged in my bag yesterday and liked it A LOT.

All of these clubs look pretty much the same.

They all perform pretty much the same.

Have a look at your wedgs and you'll see that there isn't much to them.

What really makes a difference is when you start mucking around with lofts and bounces - that might even explain the differences people mistakenly believe they are experiencing.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the sanity check.  I have some Vokeys and X-Forged but bought a Armour 845 lob wedge for practicing my chipping in the yard a few days ago.  I paid $25 for it, so expectations were quite low but when I tried it out it felt just like my other wedges.  I wrote it off as my lack of experience golfing as the reason why I couldn't discern a $100 difference between the 845 and Vokey but reading your post makes me think my "feel" isn't as out of line as I thought.

For the record -

I have had a dozen or so Vokeys - like them

I have had a few Clevelands - like them

Had Mizunos  - quite liked them

Put a Callaway X-Forged in my bag yesterday and liked it A LOT.

All of these clubs look pretty much the same.

They all perform pretty much the same.

Have a look at your wedgs and you'll see that there isn't much to them.

What really makes a difference is when you satrt mucking around with lofts and bounces - that might even explain the differences people mistakenly believe they are experiencing.

Joe Paradiso

Absolutely unbelievable.

Riiiiight, thats why the best players in the world with the exception of a few play forged irons.  Whatever you gotta tell yourself.

All you have to do is look at the manufacturing process to see why forged irons would provide better feel.  Any time you heat metal into a liquid form and pour it into a mold, theres going to be air pockets.  Those air pockets muffle the feel.  Even if you buy the claim that vacuum casting eliminates the air pockets, you still have the aspect that forged clubs are pounded into shape, which packs the molecules tighter than simply pouring the metal into a mold.

It makes me laugh that so many people buy into the marketing of Vokeys instead of doing their research and thinking for themselves.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator

Riiiiight, thats why the best players in the world with the exception of a few play forged irons.  Whatever you gotta tell yourself.

How many play Vokey wedges? Oh, that doesn't help your argument? Oops. Perhaps the process by which wedges are made isn't all that important.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"Feel" is just sound.  Put ear plugs on all clubs will feel the same.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Again...you're making things up.  And you are also swallowing Mizuno's advertising hook line and sinker. Aren't there air pockets in the billets they use for their forged irons?

A lot of Ping players out there too, arent' there? Not many of them play Anser forged irons.

And, in case you didn't understand the point Iacas made, Vokeys are probably the most played wedges on tour. Played by roughly half, in fact.

If Titleist thought that they could could make a better wedge by forging them they'd do it.  You are imagining things.

Note: This thread is 4599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!