IGNORED

Does Anyone Know What Ben Hogan’s “Secret” Was?

5 hours ago, Patch said:

Still another story goes that he made up this secret for a magazine article, that paid him $25K (?). I have never read that article, so the secret might be there.

That's his secret IMO. He made it up to make money and people have been buying into it ever since.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think there can be any mechanical secrets anymore. In this time and day too many great analytical tools and too many smart minds who have already covered all there can be. 

The way I see it is if he had discovered a one time secret he would not have had to beat a 1000 balls/day to keep it going. 

Vishal S.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not a Hogan historian, but I don't think it was "poof" and it was gone.

I also think Tiger in 2000 was probably a better player than Hogan, by far. Hogan could only beat the guys he played against, and even then, he didn't beat them like Tiger.

So, I object on two things:

1. Hogan didn't instantly solve anything. He didn't find some magic secret.
  2. Hogan is over-revered. He has a mystical aura about him. He was great, but better than anyone ever… no.

If he had a "secret" we'd have seen it and it would be known by now. There's too much video, too many smart people who understand biomechanics, physics, etc. It would not still be a secret. (I guess that could be my third objection.)

But hey, full credit to you for playing into the "mysticism" aspect of it all.

Hocus pocus.

There is no secret.

Bingo.

You got me there chief.. just wanna stir the Hogan pot a little. It's been so quiet in here for so long. Worked didn't it? lol

ps. I'm new here and a Hogan fan(obviously!) nice to meet you all. Cheers!

• Administrator
Just now, dark_horse_holy_basils said:

You got me there chief.. just wanna stir the Hogan pot a little. It's been so quiet in here for so long. Worked didn't it? lol

ps. I'm new here and a Hogan fan(obviously!) nice to meet you all. Cheers!

Glad to have ya. Poke around. If you're a swing geek… there's a lot to discuss.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 years later...

Did Hogan really have a secret or did he simply just owned his unique swing like Moe Norman? I don't think I've seen anybody else past or present with his swing dna. 

Personally I think there's no secret. I believe Hogan worked hard and found a way to make his swing repeat. What he labeled his secret only works with his existing swing mechanic. So even if Hogan did tell us what it was I don't think that one particular thing would magically transformed our swing into a precision machine like his. My two cents.

• iacas changed the title to Does Anyone Know What Ben Hogan’s “Secret” Was?
On 2/1/2021 at 11:29 PM, GTA Golf Pro said:

Did Hogan really have a secret or did he simply just owned his unique swing like Moe Norman? I don't think I've seen anybody else past or present with his swing dna. 

Personally I think there's no secret. I believe Hogan worked hard and found a way to make his swing repeat. What he labeled his secret only works with his existing swing mechanic. So even if Hogan did tell us what it was I don't think that one particular thing would magically transformed our swing into a precision machine like his. My two cents.

Nah. It was all bs. Hogan didn’t do half the things in his swing he thought he did. No secret. Just entertainment.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Ben Hogan's secret was believing he knew what he was doing.  It didn't matter whether he was exactly correct...he was close enough for jazz...so to speak.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

7 hours ago, birdie seeker said:

Hogan discovered stack & tilt before it was called stack & tilt.

I don’t think Hogan did Stack & Tilt at all. I did S&T back in 2009 and it is a very different set up and feel to Hogan.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Found what worked for him and executed it at a high level

• Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The thing about Ben Hogan that I always think about is "digging it out of the dirt".

To me, it sounds like a hell of a lot of work on the range. It is more quantity of work than a lot of us are capable of. It isn't just whacking away, but it is a lot of quality as well.

Figuring it out for ourselves is part of it, but the time, resources and constitution to do it is harder to come by.

Don't think I've got it.

Edited by mcanadiens

• 2 years later...

I think his secret was he discovered the D Plane before it became a thing.

His stance allowed 1 swing to put the low spot where it needed to be. He didn't have to chase different swings for different clubs. That thousand balls a day....he probably enjoyed.

He knew where the ball would go.

He pushed off his right leg in his downswing.

:banana:

• Funny 3

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.