IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

Here's a question for you all. I struggle sometimes with figuring out which way the putt will break. I'm okay on slope %s, but I think I'd get much better by figuring out more consistently the high or low side of the putt.

My question is - does it make sense to plumb bob to figure that out? I'm thinking it would just be behind the ball to figure out which way the slope is going. Would that work? I wouldn't use it for the line or anything else - only to figure out which way the slope is going.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's a question for you all. I struggle sometimes with figuring out which way the putt will break. I'm okay on slope %s, but I think I'd get much better by figuring out more consistently the high or low side of the putt.

My question is - does it make sense to plumb bob to figure that out? I'm thinking it would just be behind the ball to figure out which way the slope is going. Would that work? I wouldn't use it for the line or anything else - only to figure out which way the slope is going.

As you approach the green, you should be looking at the putt.  You should be able to access which is the low side.  I walk to the middle of the putt from the low side and can feel which way is straight up.  The break will be opposite.  The hard ones are either straight up or down for me on subtle slopes, 1% or less.  Up is a much easier putt because you can be more aggressive.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I go down what I perceive as the low side and keep on judging slope with my feet at midpoint and then by the hole, wanting to see if I have a severe break near the hole and beyond it. I might also feel the straight uphill putt to the hole help with break even though that technique is not favored.

Going down the line usually helps to get the greatest slope and I will use that as my slope...

But take it with a grain of salt as I am still experimenting.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

BTW, I made a 40 foot putt for par on a 3%, 15 deg down green that was running about a 10.

Nice putt!! Another benefit to knowing aimpoint, when describing a great putt from your round you can give people the numbers and they know (provided they are aimpointers too) exactly how awesome your putt was.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I entered an aimpoint expres clinic. 2 Horus in the drizzil. I was a bit sceptical, but it blew me away. The clinic was very well presented, easy to understand. I am sure it will shave some scores of the chart!

I entered an aimpoint expres clinic. 2 Horus in the drizzil. I was a bit sceptical, but it blew me away. The clinic was very well presented, easy to understand. I am sure it will shave some scores of the chart!

Congrats on the class. I believe you will find the class a value add, as I have.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I'm trying to find out about "class notes" for the Express classes, mentioned on the FB page.  Are they supposed to be handed out at the class? Emailed after?

I emailed my instructor about it, who said he'd "put some together."   Crickets.

I emailed aimpoint about it, mentioning that I had taken the class.  I received an email back saying that they will absolutely get me those notes.  Crickets.

Are these notes something that some locations/instructors give out, but others don't?  Or are they supposed to be given to all students?

I went ahead and got the DVD--any additional info in the notes that's not in the DVD?  (In other words, do I make myself a nuisance of myself by emailing again, or just let it go and pay attention to what's in the DVD).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
I'm trying to find out about "class notes" for the Express classes, mentioned on the FB page.  Are they supposed to be handed out at the class? Emailed after?

I emailed my instructor about it, who said he'd "put some together."   Crickets.

I emailed aimpoint about it, mentioning that I had taken the class.  I received an email back saying that they will absolutely get me those notes.  Crickets.

Are these notes something that some locations/instructors give out, but others don't?  Or are they supposed to be given to all students?

I went ahead and got the DVD--any additional info in the notes that's not in the DVD?  (In other words, do I make myself a nuisance of myself by emailing again, or just let it go and pay attention to what's in the DVD).

Weird.

Send me a PM with some proof that you took the class (it won't take much). The class notes are just a PDF. They're in a shared folder all Instructors can access.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So yesterday I was playing with a close friend.  He knew that I was using AimPoint.  He had a 12 footer for par, approx. 30 degrees up.  He asked me to read it.  He made the putt.  I think I convinced another that the system is very accurate.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I am still using full blown Aimpoint and I am comfortable and fast with it.  Is there a point to looking at Aimpoint Express?

I am still using full blown Aimpoint and I am comfortable and fast with it.  Is there a point to looking at Aimpoint Express?

My preliminary opinion is that AE is a minor upgrade.  I was satisfied with the speed of the midpoint read, but express is definitely faster.  But with that comes a little less accuracy, and as others have said, I think there's a value to going through the thought process of actually identifying the fact that the putt is uphill, x feet, etc.

If you know both, you'll probably use AE more.  I'd say the difference is not really worth $200, which is what they charge around here.  I got the DVD for $80 and that seemed about right for me.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup

My preliminary opinion is that AE is a minor upgrade.  I was satisfied with the speed of the midpoint read, but express is definitely faster.  But with that comes a little less accuracy, and as others have said, I think there's a value to going through the thought process of actually identifying the fact that the putt is uphill, x feet, etc.

If you know both, you'll probably use AE more.  I'd say the difference is not really worth $200, which is what they charge around here.  I got the DVD for $80 and that seemed about right for me.

My last round I did reads with both when I had the chance.  There was a bit of a difference on some putts where there was more slope at the midpoint.  But in general, they were that far off.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I'm using the midpoint to get my slope percentage like you would with the midpoint read.  Then I just get behind the ball like express and use the numbers i got.  I really do feel like angling me body to always face up like a midpoint read gives me a much more accurate read of the slope percentage....

• Administrator

I'm using the midpoint to get my slope percentage like you would with the midpoint read.  Then I just get behind the ball like express and use the numbers i got.  I really do feel like angling me body to always face up like a midpoint read gives me a much more accurate read of the slope percentage....

That's really not the right way to do it. A 4 can be a 4, a 3, a 2, a 1, or a 0 depending on the angle of your putt.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[quote name="iacas" url="/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/600_100#post_1145546"] That's really not the right way to do it. A 4 can be a 4, a 3, a 2, a 1, or a 0 depending on the angle of your putt. [/quote]Yeah, using a "mid-point" technique "number" to execute an Express read is only going to work if you happen to be putting straight across. Otherwise it's going to be the wrong number. If you've taken a mid-point class, use mid-point. If you want to use Express, take an Express class. It's well worth it and knowing both is an advantage as you'll have a more complete understanding.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

When comparing both methods, do each individually and look at the two.  Example:  A midpoint read of 60 down 3 degrees will give you a number.  Then the Express may give you a 2% at the ball.  When you use your fingers, see if the aim point is the same.  I found on some putts, yes.  Others, it was off a few inches.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I used Aimpoint Exp 1 for today's round.   At the end of the day, I did 32 putts total with one 3 putt.   If Aimpoint was effective, it didn't show up in the stat as my usual total putt is around 32 (32 this month, 31 last month, 33 the month before that).  Simple majority of my putts missed left of my target line, something my new Edel putter will help fix.   I am looking forward to more rounds with Aimpoint and new Edel putter which arrives next week.   I am hoping my total putt stat to go below 30/round with Aimpoint & Edel putter combo.

For me (YMMV), I agree with pace being 90% of importance.   When I three putt (once or twice per round), it is always because I misjudged the pace.   With or without Aimpoint, I think my putts don't go too far to left or right.  Most of the times, I am in tap in range after the 1st putt.

(For this post, short putts < 4 feet, medium putts < 10 feet, long putts > 10 feet)

Since this post, I reviewed Aimpoint lesson, had a few practices, and my Edel putter arrived.   1st few rounds with the putter, I three putted more than usual on long putts.  That was not surprising given that weighting & balance of the new putter was different than my previous one.  While the putter may helped putt straight, my Aimpoint application of putting wasn't good.   But after 3 - 4 rounds, I could feel they are coming together.   I am knocking in short putts more than I am used to.   For medium putts, I have gained confidence (bordering on arrogance) that I can make those putts every time I putt.   Indeed, if I don't make putts, they are very close although I miss majority of them.  In the last 3 rounds, I had 31-29-29 putts.   I hope to keep my average per round below 30 but will accept 31.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I do think that up-slope and down-slope can throw off the horizontal slope read in reading more break then there is. That is a bit of a nuance I had to train myself to tell the difference.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: