IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow.  First off, it's off-topic and I should have kept my damn mouth shut apparently.

All I was saying was that GPS provides far more accuracy than on-course yardage markers.  The response I get is "no they don't, you can pace it off and get the same info".  Well yeah, I guess you could, if your pacing is accurate enough.  I guess I could just start at the green and pace it off if I was on a course that didn't have yardage books.  Talk about straw man arguments.

I was simply contradicting the statement that they're no different than the yardages on sprinkler heads.

Sorry I said anything.

Not sure if this thread is about course guides or achored putters anymore. I'm happy about the decision. I may have seen one person using it when I'm out playing, so I can't imagine this rule affecting the amateurs in any way. Some will obviously complain about it, but it won't help at this point. I'm sure the affected pros can manage. Most of them has been using a normal putter for most of their life anyway.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure if this thread is about course guides or achored putters anymore. I'm happy about the decision. I may have seen one person using it when I'm out playing, so I can't imagine this rule affecting the amateurs in any way.

Why would you be *happy* about the decision? How has that one person that you saw anchoring a putter affected your life/golf game? They are more prevalent at my club (myself included) - the odd thing is I see all broom sticks and no belly putters. I am guessing the belly ones are what caused this to begin with.

• Upvote 2

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

Why would you be *happy* about the decision? How has that one person that you saw anchoring a putter affected your life/golf game?

They are more prevalent at my club (myself included) - the odd thing is I see all broom sticks and no belly putters. I am guessing the belly ones are what caused this to begin with.

Agreed.
The whole thing takes on a “it doesn't effect me, so I’m good with it” reaction.

The rules regarding putting are convoluted to say the least.
The tired argument that a “stroke” shouldn’t involve the club anchoring with anything but your hands doesn’t hold true when hitting a putt croquet style. For some reason that was made illegal.
Putters are allowed a flat side on the grip but no other clubs are. How does that get through?

I’d say about 35% of the regulars at my club use an anchored putter. Our club champ uses a belly putter. Many older players use broom putters.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

You agree you're smarter, but you contend there's some way for you or your friends to confuse what's a legal stroke and what's not.   The picture below makes it quite clear.  The putter can't be anchored directly against your body and you can't anchor your forearm against your body and hold the top of the putter.  Forearms and elbows touching the body are legal as is forearms held against the body.

Instead of posting here various scenarios that will cost you strokes in the future why not take some time to review the photos.  Print the picture out so you can help your not so smart friends understand what is and isn't a legal stroke and you should be fine in 3 years.

Originally Posted by Texian

Your conviction is correct. I do consider myself smarter than the average Bear(Kat).

But let's say that something similar happened in 2016, and my playing partner, in a club championship match for instance, says, "Your forearm was touching your torso on that putting stroke. So I win the hole."

And I say, truthfully, "Well, I always hold my forearm away from my body on my putting stroke, so if it was touching, it wasn't intentional.'

It's almost impossible to prove "intent" in a court of law. Can you imagine the arguments and hard feelings this could cause on a golf course, when the "judge" is in the pro shop selling shirts or on the driving range giving a lesson?

Joe Paradiso

The majority of people protesting this rule change are golfers or have friends / loved ones that use a anchored putting stroke with a long or belly putter.  You all contend this putting style provides you with no advantage, but are fighting the rule change because you know it could / will cost you strokes.

I'd have a lot more respect if someone flat out side, this style helps me putt better and I can't putt as well with the new rules so I'm pissed rather than protest it because it may confuse people or is subject to mis-interpretation.

The rest are split between they don't care and believe the rule change better defines what a proper stroke is and overall see it beneficial to the game going forward.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Agreed.

The whole thing takes on a “it doesn't effect me, so I’m good with it” reaction.

The tired argument that a “stroke” shouldn’t involve the club anchoring with anything but your hands doesn’t hold true when hitting a putt croquet style. For some reason that was made illegal.

Putters are allowed a flat side on the grip but no other clubs are. How does that get through?

I’d say about 35% of the regulars at my club use an anchored putter. Our club champ uses a belly putter. Many older players use broom putters.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Why would you be *happy* about the decision? How has that one person that you saw anchoring a putter affected your life/golf game?

They are more prevalent at my club (myself included) - the odd thing is I see all broom sticks and no belly putters. I am guessing the belly ones are what caused this to begin with.

Agreed.

It's still not disallowing any club.  Putters have had different rules for club design for a long, long time and that isn't being changed.  All it changes is the definition of what constitutes a stroke.  The change applies to all clubs.  It means that the next genius to come along won't be able to start using a belly chipper.  Just guarantees that the stroke for all clubs continues to be a true stroke instead of a hinged gate.

I guess those guys at your club will actually have to learn how to swing a club instead of just pivoting it around a fulcrum.  The top pro at my home course in Colorado uses a broomstick.... he's going to have to learn the old way too.  I haven't actually spoken with him since this discussion came up, so I don't know how he is taking it.  He's a fairly easygoing guy, so he will probably just start working with a regular putter and get on with life.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by newtogolf the rule change better defines what a proper stroke

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Putters have had different rules for club design for a long, long time and that isn't being changed. .

Rules for putting strokes have had different allowances for a long, long time. And it just changed. People started anchoring their stroke since the 80’s.

The USGA must think we're idiots, which we are if we believe that this is "about the stroke, and not the equipment."

If it is, then why would it be legal to have "BOTH FOREARMS HELD AGAINST THE BODY," as shown in the 6th illustration under "PERMITTED," but not as shown in photos 2 and 3 under "PROHIBITED," captioned "ANCHORED LONG PUTTER" and "ANCHOR POINT CREATED BY FOREARM."

The only difference is that under "PERMITTED" the person is anchoring both forearms using a short putter, and under "PROHIBITED" he's anchoring one forearm using a long putter.

This whole exercise is a convoluted and unnecessary rule change by "traditionalists," who don't like the looks of long putters.

And I'll say again, the new rule wouldn't affect me because my putting stroke with a long putter would be legal. But it's just plain WRONG .

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Texian

The USGA must think we're idiots, which we are if we believe that this is "about the stroke, and not the equipment."

If it is, then why would it be legal to have "BOTH FOREARMS HELD AGAINST THE BODY," as shown in the 6th illustration under "PERMITTED," but not as shown in photos 2 and 3 under "PROHIBITED," captioned "ANCHORED LONG PUTTER" and "ANCHOR POINT CREATED BY FOREARM."

The only difference is that under "PERMITTED" the person is anchoring both forearms using a short putter, and under "PROHIBITED" he's anchoring one forearm using a long putter.

This whole exercise is a convoluted and unnecessary rule change by "traditionalists," who don't like the looks of long putters.

And I'll say again, the new rule wouldn't affect me because my putting stroke with a long putter would be legal. But it's just plain WRONG.

It is a rule. Get over it. I don't like the look of a broomstick putter at all. That being said and I will say this as I have said it before, anchoring takes an element of the swing out of the equation. If you be consistent without an anchor then use it but to have a club cut to perfect length and connected to the SAME SPOT ON YOUR BODY EVERY TIME, takes an element of skill out of the putting stroke. A pro is a pro because they put the club in almost the exact same spot every time they take a stroke. Amateurs like the lot of us, this is the most difficult part of golf. If you can hold the club away from your body and make putts, go ahead and use the ugly broomstick. You don't have to throw it away, you just can't use it to cheat anymore in competitive golf.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

What is considered a broomstick?  The ones that go all the way to the chest/neck area?

The tired argument that a “stroke” shouldn’t involve the club anchoring

How is it a tired argument?  It has merit that hasn't been challenged on any direct level in any argument I've seen to date.  Is anybody here willing to challenge it on the merits?  Is an anchored stroke and a non-anchored stroke fundamentally and mechanically the same?  Does one promote a different mechanic in order to put a consistent strike on the ball?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

What is considered a broomstick?  The ones that go all the way to the chest/neck area?

Yeah, the ones used by Adam Scott, Scott McCarron (I believe) and all of the senior tour players besides Couples.  They have their left hand against their chest or chin and their right hand down ... similar to how you would hold a broom while sweeping.

Overcome and adapt.

Seems Odyssey has done that. http://www.putterzone.com/2012/11/odyssey-metal-x-arm-lock-putters.html

Michael

Seems Odyssey has done that. http://www.putterzone.com/2012/11/odyssey-metal-x-arm-lock-putters.html

They'll just be banned in 2020 :-P

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Kind of OT but here goes. I've actually been practicing with a belly putter because it helps me feel what a consistent stroke should be. As a training tool it's helped me with my 35" putter, a combo of the anchoring point, length and the additional weight. But I'm not hunched over it I use it like an alignment tool. I don't think the belly putter guys will have trouble making the adjustment if they grip the putter in a traditional way. The contorted folks may struggle a bit.

Dave :-)

I don't use a long putter, I don't have any friends who use a long putter, and I don't foresee either of these ever changing.

I think this is a silly rule. Since they apparently thought it was a problem that needed fixing, I'd rather they had just banned the equipment instead. (I know there are problems with implementing that properly, but there are problems with doing it this way also.)

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!