IGNORED

What do you use to keep track of your stroke count?

Note:Β This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

53 members have voted

1. 1. What method of stroke counting do you use?

• Digital Scorecard
    • Clicker-style counter
    • Thumbwheel counter
    • String of Beads
    • Other purpose-made counter device
    • Pencil and paper or other "general-purpose" device
    • I just trust my head

I've never used any sort of device other than a pencil for counting strokes. More often than not, I just mentally count +/- par. I like to carry a score card for yardages reference and sometimes I will make check marks for G.I.R., FW, Putts. Β But usually I won't bother. Β I do enter data into a home made spread sheet not so much for official handicaps, but to track course handicap for courses I most often play. Β G.I.R. is a non issue as I don't have many but on a good day, I can usually make up for it owing to short game and putts. Last round was only 32 putts in 18 holes. I've only recently started playing again and am starting my spreadsheet all over. Β Current index is 22.9 as compared with an 18.6 over a year ago.Β 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,Β  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge:Β ExoticsΒ EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge:Β Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Β shaft, /Β Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge:Β Exotics EXi 6 -PWΒ  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:Β  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted Digital Scorecard only because I use a Garmin Approach andΒ sinceΒ the pollΒ only allowed for one choice, but also use a paper scorecard.Β  I put down stats on the score card for fairways hit, GIR, putts, and chips if I don't get GIR, so I know how many putts after the chip.Β  This just helps me visualize where I need work on my game.

That said, I can remember a round and replay it in my head for a few days, so I trust my head also.Β  I don't like to keep a running tally on my score and prefer to total it at the end of the round.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5ΒΊ driverΒ ;Β  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;Β  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;Β  Mizuno MP T4 52ΒΊ GW, 56ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

I always use Swing x Swing for the statistical feedback so it keeps track for me.Β 

When playing with buddies and there's a friendly wager at stake, I will also keep traditional scorecard for all parties so that it's all transparent and easily reviewable by all.

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

I use a gps/score app , the Grint, on my phone and someone in the group is scoring everyone on the card

Edited by chilepepper

For an individual hole - I keep count in my head. Β After a round, say on the next day, I can remember maybe 80% of my shots if IΒ played on my home course. Β And my memory is not very good. Β 

Last round for instance, say hole 16, hit a decent drive probably 220 in the fairway, fatted a pitching wedge from a very wet lie about 85 yards and was left just on the lip of a greenside bunker, LW chip with front foot in the bunker and much lower than back foot about 20 yards and 20 feet past the hole, the putts? this is where my memory fails. Β Like I said, I have a poor memory. Β I'm assuming pretty much everyone can do this, most probably better than me. Β As such, the idea of having a counting device is a strange one to me.

ForΒ round score keeping - I use a scorecard and pencil. Β I don't like fussing with a smart phone during a round.

Personally I've been a fan of GolfPro app, it tracks my whole game. Β It is exactly what I've been looking for, although that sort of thing isn't for everyone. Β Some of my golf buddies like just to hit the ball, and not play competitively, but it really works well when everyone in the group is using the app at the same time.

I'm really liking GG Live now that I've gotten the hang of it. I've also used GolfShot Pro on my iPhone, but I keep track of the shots in my head then record after the hole.Β 

On 8/25/2016 at 8:34 AM, Patch said:

Some days I'm a pencil paper guy. I have my own score cards I use. In addition to my scores, there is other information that I like to know about.Β 

On the days I don't use a pencil/paper, I keep it all in my head. Each hole's stroke count goes something like Β -1, E, Β or + something. That number is then added to the over all count. So, if I am on the 7th hole, I won't know my actual stroke count, but I will know I am 3 over par as an example. At the end of the round, if I am 9 over par, and the course is a par 72, I know I shot an 81.Β 

This would be me as well.

I used to use a GPS type app in my phone but have since uninstalled as I use as range finder. Β Now I just keep my score on a scorecard.

I keep it up in my head until I get back to my cart

• 4 months later...

I am basically a bogey golfer, but fairly consistent and rarely have anything worse than double bogey--though I do have my share of those!

• Upvote 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I use my watch bezel. Tee shot I rotate theΒ 5 into the 12 position, second shot to 10, third to 15, etc...just don't forget to divide by 5 before writing the score down.

Not sure how to vote on the poll...

Edited by Joey G
Clarity?

:ping:Β  Β Ping G30 - DriverΒ  Β  Β  Β 

Ping G Series - 3w &Β 5wΒ 

Ping G5 - 7w &Β 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

99% if the time, i keep my score in my head. +1 , -1 etc. Say i get a double on the first hole, I'm +2. I don't really worry about numbers.Β I just add or subtract against par when I'm done. If I'm keeping somebody else's score in a tournament, i write that down on a scorecard so that i don't have to think about it. I make sure i have the hole scores correct on the card and let him deal with the math of it.Β 

At age 65 I still just use my memory and find it is 99% accurate.Β  The only exception is on extreme blow up holes which I occasionally have it helps to go through the hole with a playing partner.Β  Not that the difference between an 11 or 12 usually matters since I have lost the hole regardless in match play, but if we are playing total gross for some $$ it pays (costs?)Β to recount.Β 

I wish i could forget my score douring the round but itΒ΄s imposible. Been a low handicap i know exactly my score on every hole without trying to.

Note:Β This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!