IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

It will be reasonable here this weekend, certainly a playable temperature, the problem is I doubt the courses are in decent shape, and the wind chills will still be very cold, not worth it.

Low 90s and it was totally miserable just standing out in the hot sun hitting balls on the range, so I got off the range and onto a cart yesterday just to get away from the heat to work on my swing on the course. Other golfer's had similar ideas, and I saw a lot of my "range buddies" on the course for a change. This heat wave is killing us.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Think I've lost the desire to golf. It's been mid 60's and I'm not getting out there. No range time not interested in playing and certainly not interested in practicing. Hired a new instructor and cancelled my pre-paid appointment two weeks ago. I have $600 house credit to spend this year and I am ready to walk away.

Not sure what the deal is but I made a tee time last weekend. Drove to the course pulled into the lot and decided I didn't want to be there so called and cancelled. Haven't played since before Thanksgiving. Another nice weekend coming and golf isn't in my plans.

Dave :-)

37 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Think I've lost the desire to golf. It's been mid 60's and I'm not getting out there. No range time not interested in playing and certainly not interested in practicing. Hired a new instructor and cancelled my pre-paid appointment two weeks ago. I have $600 house credit to spend this year and I am ready to walk away.

Not sure what the deal is but I made a tee time last weekend. Drove to the course pulled into the lot and decided I didn't want to be there so called and cancelled. Haven't played since before Thanksgiving. Another nice weekend coming and golf isn't in my plans.

I am in the same boat but I think its just too early here in Colorado to get excited for golf.  The weather is gonna get nasty again and the courses just aren't in good shape.

I'll wait until Mid March to really get going again.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I usually play all winter. Our course is in good shape, I asked when I booked my time, the only negative they reported was excessive goose crap. I just don't want to play. I cancelled in favor of driving 60 miles to IKEA to buy new bedding and pick up some things I needed so I could get home before the mid-season premier of The Walking Dead. Choosing the nightmare than is IKEA over golf is strange. Just not into it.

59 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

I wonder if it's because we get too much golf?

Maybe spend a month of skiing?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

54 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Boy that winter depression has hit you hard!  ;-)  I am sure you'll get going again soon.

My non-medical advise is to take two swings in the garage and hit the links as often as you can until the depression fades.  :-D

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Some of it is not sure I want to put the time in to improve or even stay where I am at. With the time away haven't felt the urgency to play like I did in the past. It's expensive, time consuming and last year I felt I was chasing a lower handicap rather than just getting out and enjoying it. It's become an exercise of expectations.

The course is a mucky mess right now but the snow is gone. With temps getting up into the 50's this weekend I am full of hope.

Bill M

8 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Some of it is not sure I want to put the time in to improve or even stay where I am at. With the time away haven't felt the urgency to play like I did in the past. It's expensive, time consuming and last year I felt I was chasing a lower handicap rather than just getting out and enjoying it. It's become an exercise of expectations.

It's just plain exercise for me. When I had the same feeling as you, I still went out to get exercise more than anything else. Then I invariably make a great shot (one that I could never reproduce). That just seeds my desire to play again. It's nice out there, and score comes second in my mind. If I was constantly concerned about every single putt I make, that just makes it not fun any more.

What fuels me is seeing playing partners make amazingly lucky shots and myself making one "Better to be lucky than good." :-D

Golf should be just plain fun. If you play well, then that's bonus. We're not young high school or college students trying to win tournaments, we're out there to play the course and enjoy it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

It's raining.  This sucks.  I blame anyone who asked for rain in the area. ;-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

It's raining.  This sucks.  I blame anyone who asked for rain in the area. ;-)

Without rain the sun would get boring and without snow. . .

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, CarlSpackler said:

After much discussion with the family, we've decided it's time to move. The job market here is simply abysmal, yet I see a ton of opportunities in FL. Time to start packing up the house...

Any plans on a destination?

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

We have typical British weather at the moment. Lovely winters days (sunny but cold) while im at work, and gale force winds and heavy rain at the weekends!. Managed to get 2 sessions at the range in since the start of the year.  Thanks goodness i can practice indoors!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Weather guessers are promising me an ok Saturday. Mid 50s and dry. Warm enough today and tomorrow to do away with the remaining ice pies. I'm getting one day off a week at this point, so I'm planning to make the most of it.

On 2/18/2016 at 7:34 AM, vangator said:

Any plans on a destination?

I like the GOM side, but I'm open to anywhere that I can find a decent IT Director / Manager position.

- Shane

I went from cold Turkey to playing 18 holes of golf in 70 degree weather today!!!   ....with more of the same tomorrow:-D

The most crazy thing is carding an even par 36 on the inward nine!  Crazy/stupid/unexpected.......     I am sure reality/rust will take over tomorrow!  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

It was beautiful out on Saturday, no way was I not going out, played 18 and I think at one point it was in the 60's with a warm breeze.

It was very surreal to be out there, I hadn't touched a club in over a month, so I scrambled at the range for a bit before because I didn't think I would play, but then I just had to, so I booked a tee-time thinking the place would be packed, then rushing to get there to find it not even remotely crowded, a ghost town, WTF?

It almost hurts more getting in that rogue round mid Winter, now I want to keep going but can't! depressing, but still had a great time.

Edited by MrDC