IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

On 5/10/2019 at 7:12 AM, boogielicious said:

I’ve played 3 times in the rain this year. Best thing is the courses are empty!

And the worst thing is that you're out there slogging away in the rain! 

On 5/10/2019 at 7:48 AM, billchao said:

I played in a lot of rain last year, not exactly excited to repeat that.

I need a cart that holds an umbrella and rain gear. It's on my list.

Can't those go in or on your golf bag? And yeah, I'm not a big fan of playing in the slop! 

I think we might need to rename this thread the "Spring Depression Thread"! I mean that January and February around here are pretty much no go's all the way around! I'm fine with that, but dammit it's supposed to be Spring! It's mid May and it will be around 40 tonight with more rain. We won't see 60 for 2 more days, and then not much above that! 

And this weather is starting to screw with the local courses. They are losing play! We actually got out to play last Thursday. They had only opened the back 9 two days before, and had a handout at the register telling you where NOT to go on the back! Rain was in the forecast, but held off most of the day until we got caught in a squall on 15. We got soaked! When my buddy and I decided to bag it, the rain quit about halfway back to the clubhouse! So, we dried off as best we could and went back out and finished.

The rain came in that night, but Friday dawned clear and sunny. I waited until late in the day to let the grass dry out, and mowed. Worked my ass off since the yard was beginning to resemble a hayfield! My buddy told me when we were playing, that he is cutting his grass every other day! This is nuts! There's nothing grass likes more than lots of water and cool temps! 

More rain Friday night and cloudy and cool Saturday. Then more rain Saturday night and cloudy and cool Sunday! This is unrelenting, and I'm damn tired of it!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

48 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Can't those go in or on your golf bag?

The umbrella can sit in the bag but its angled funny and gets in the way when I'm pulling and replacing clubs. It's an additional nuisance on top of the rain.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

The umbrella can sit in the bag but its angled funny and gets in the way when I'm pulling and replacing clubs. It's an additional nuisance on top of the rain.

About 6 years ago I gave up on umbrellas during a wet and windy Saturday tournament.  Had the umbrella in the push cart holder and while I was putting a gust of wind blew my cart and my partner's cart over, strewing clubs onto the wet grass.  Swore, never again.  Now I have rain pants, rain jacket, cap and a pair of rain gloves.  I play in the rain like a man playing in sunny, dry, warm weather.  No messing with the 'brella.  It is much better.

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I got this rain cover last year. It works really well and it's easy to get the clubs out.

https://amzn.to/2E3ZL1W

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

About 6 years ago I gave up on umbrellas during a wet and windy Saturday tournament.  Had the umbrella in the push cart holder and while I was putting a gust of wind blew my cart and my partner's cart over, strewing clubs onto the wet grass.  Swore, never again.  Now I have rain pants, rain jacket, cap and a pair of rain gloves.  I play in the rain like a man playing in sunny, dry, warm weather.  No messing with the 'brella.  It is much better.

The cart has blown over on me before but my clubs don't fall out due to the 14-way divider. The umbrella is important because my grips have to stay dry and it covers the clubs and both of my towels.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I got this rain cover last year. It works really well and it's easy to get the clubs out.

https://amzn.to/2E3ZL1W

My bag came with a rain cover. Its It's slightly more annoying to use than the umbrella. That looks like a much better cover, thanks for the recommendation.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My back is sore, ramping up the swing speed and practice, so this weather is actually good for once. I would have been resting the back anyways and going to the USO, oops, PGA tomorrow, so works out. 

I took off the umbrella holder on my cart. Not really sure if I should put it on or leave it off. Will have to see if rain cover of new bag is effective or not.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, billchao said:

The cart has blown over on me before but my clubs don't fall out due to the 14-way divider. The umbrella is important because my grips have to stay dry and it covers the clubs and both of my towels.

My bag came with a rain cover. Its It's slightly more annoying to use than the umbrella. That looks like a much better cover, thanks for the recommendation.

This is good too:

Used personally.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

BTW, it's not our imagination:

"Overall, the 12 months ending in April were the wettest 12-month period on record in the United States, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, whose records on the subject go back to 1895."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

This is good too:

Used personally.

Is the top zipped? How do you access the clubs?

I kind of like the flap lid thing on the one @boogielicious shared.

Bill

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, chspeed said:

"Overall, the 12 months ending in April were the wettest 12-month period on record in the United States, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, whose records on the subject go back to 1895."

And I remember, 1895 was a wet one, too.  My hickory shafts started to swell...

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, billchao said:

Is the top zipped? How do you access the clubs?

Pretty simply: it's got about a 3' long zipper that you can leave partly unzipped, effectively creating a flap. Or zip it up for transportation or whatever.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I played here on Long Island Sunday morning. My god was it wet. I think the pull into the long fescue effectively killed what was left of my waterproof Footjoys. The wind kicked up at one point and well the umbrella didn’t make it to the back nine. I am a bit tired of the rainy weekends. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Got out again on Thursday and Saturday. I love the course we played on Thursday, but oh the mess! Big mud holes and ruts from the mowers marking up the course! Balls plugging everywhere! Saturday the front 9 was 90 degree rule, the back 9 was cart path only. The starter told us they had finally been able to cut the entire course just 2 days earlier. Even on the front there were weird spots. I and a friend were scrambling against 2 other friends. On one hole I skulled a wedge out of the soggy rough over the green. I walked back there to get my ball and saw it lying in the rough. The turf looked fine, all grass and no mud, but when I got near the ball the whole deal started wobbling like I was walking on a water bed! I almost went on my face! 

And ... it’s snowing again. 

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

11 hours ago, DeadMan said:

And ... it’s snowing again. 

Ended up with about 4 inches in my yard, I think. Should be gone in a day or two, but yuck.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 1:59 PM, chspeed said:

This past Tuesday, in the village of Canfield, which is just southwest to the town I live in, had 3.89" of rain on Tuesday when the average for the month of May for that village is 3.74"! Mill Creek GC is closed. Flooded out and with a whole bunch of trees down. I figure Kensington is much the same, though it should drain faster since it sits up on a knob. 

I'm feeling sorry for the golf course owners, and the farmers, in this area. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

Guys, guys, guys!!!

The strangest thing happened today.

I went to play golf. I get to the first tee. I hit my ball, it goes up, draws back to the middle, and comes down… and then went back up again after it hit the ground!?!

What is going on here?

It kept doing this on most tee shots all day! Someone said it was called "bouncing." Unheard of this year, I'll have to research this phenomenon. My ball was actually not within 20 inches of the spot where it initially landed!

This is a game changer!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1