IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

Its gonna be 50 here in cincinnati tomorrow already booked my tee time on golfnow for me and the wife couldnt believe she was already ready to get back on the course especially in december o man what a turn on to hear her say babe lets play 18 tomorrow !!! Should be nice to get out and swing the clubs a little

I'd be doing the same thing If the ground wasn't covered in snow. Fortunately I'll be going to Florida next week so I'll be getting my round in. :) have a great round.

I'd be doing the same thing if the ground wasn't covered in snow. You're lucky! Have a great round.

Dam ya im glad we have had almost a solid week of sun so all the snow is gone and the weather is a just a taste warmer it should be a great day hopefully the wife doesnt whoop up on me to bad :)

-27 degrees celsius here today..

Yikes!  That is North Pole air!  We are dropping to sub zero F tomorrow.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played a round last Friday.  I think it was 27 when I teed off but warmed up to 50 by the time I finished.  I don't mind the cold per se, the problem is the frozen ground--impossible to stop anything on the green.  On the 2nd hole, a par 3 with an elevated tee box I hit a perfect, high 7 iron to the front of the green that bounced 20+ feet in the air and off the back.  It reminded me why I should stick to the heated driving range during the winter months.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

For those of you that play in freezing temps...

Do you just stay off the greens to keep from damaging them until it warms up a bit?

(or do the greens go dormant at some point so there is less concern)

other item - equipment.....for the indoor range,.... I don't even touch my woods/hybrids until they warm up.  I'm worried about the graphite shafts.

Is that a legitimate worry?  or am I being over cautious with those clubs?

(Ditto with my putter, I don't want to muck up the face insert - though I assume that warms up almost immediately, I still hold off and putt later in the practice)

Edit:  or I could just do my own research:  http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/heatcold_shafts.htm

Question: Will Heat Or Cold Damage My Graphite Shafts?

Answer: No. Never.

But excessive heat built up in the trunk of the car in areas where the temperatures get very hot can possibly affect the bond of the shaft to the clubhead .

Shafts are secured to clubheads with special high-strength epoxy glues. If the heat in the trunk of the car builds up day after day to a temperature approaching 200-degrees Fahrenheit, over time it is possible that the epoxy bond holding the shaft to the clubhead may start to break down and eventually cause the head to come flying off the shaft when a ball is struck.

So the best advice is that if you live in super-hot climate areas, take the clubs out of the trunk and store them in the garage where the temperature never approaches 200F.

Bill - 

We have had a very mild winter so far (here in the middle of England) which has meant being able to play full rounds of golf right up to Christmas eve. Unfortunately the rain arrived Christmas eve and since my club is on a flood plain (old farm land) its been closed since then with only a short par 3 9 hole course being open since the Saturday after christmas.

On the positive side, the more we get in to Jan/Feb without snow means less likely we will have snow fall this year that will of course close the golf course! :)

So yeah, its been a very good winter so far unlike last year where it was freezing well in to May/June (there were a few days where it was so cold I just turned around and went home!).

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Been a while since I had checked this thread, some interesting derailing! haha

Still cold as hell here. Got all the way up to 15 today I think.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Wife just finished delivering mail.  It's -6 air temp right now.  Probably -25 or worse wind chill.  She's waiting for someone to jump the dead battery in her car at work.  Poor girl!  She's not going to be happy when she gets home.

Already made hot coffee for her and have dinner planned that I'll cook and serve.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

-10 right now. 40s with rain this weekend. So ... 1) Can it all melt? 2) Can the rain mostly miss? and 3) Will the course drain?

Sounds like a tall order, but I'll hold out hope. At worst I'll get to the range.

3 degrees (-20 windchill) this morning, but it is going to be mid-50's this coming weekend. Interesting.

Bill M

12-degrees and a bit windy right now in Connecticut. Lucky for me, I have a heated driving range right next to where I work. Just hit a bucket of balls with a 7-iron. Amazing to see the bounce and roll on frozen turf. Looking forward to heading to Florida in a week or two, but I see that it's mostly in the 30's there right now.

4 feet of snow. -1 actual temp. All my clubs are taken apart. New grips on the way.

My wife is telling me to find something to do other than shop for golf club parts.

Take a trip to a warm climate for a week and play golf?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

4 feet of snow. -1 actual temp. All my clubs are taken apart. New grips on the way. My wife is telling me to find something to do other than shop for golf club parts.

What else is there to do? I've bought new irons, wedges, putter, hats, hybrids and the list goes on.......:-D

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon