• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
    • iacas

Win a Cart with Sun Mountain and TST!   06/02/2017

You can win a Speed Cart GT or a Micro Cart GT from Sun Mountain!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sooper8

Just one tip you'd pass on to a beginner...?

80 posts in this topic

I've hit balls in the past and tinkered around somewhat,played a few 9 holes but consider myself a novice and beginner...although I play many other sports pretty well but not competitively anymore.

So, if you could pass on just one (preferably simple) tip to a beginner like myself, what would it be?

(and I guess a number of you will say, 'get lessons' , and I understand why you'd say this - but can I ask that you pass on your words of wisdom instead...?)

Thanks in advance

One of 3 - flip a coin

Start investing as early as you can in your career.

Learn how to network.

Whatever your current marital status is now, don't change it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, don't just get lessons. Get lessons from someone who really knows what he/she is doing. Find that person, golf is much easier, relatively.

Don't stop to tie your shoes in a revolving door.

On the backswing try to point your lead shoulder at the ball.

Don't stand by a mud hole on the side of the road on a rainy day.

Enjoy the game. Don't get so wrapped up in improving that you start to hate the game. I would rather be a happy hacker than a pissed off scratch player.

Cannot stress enough how important it is to have your weight forward at impact.  This accompanying drill: http://thesandtrap.com/t/35686/eriks-hips-forward-pre-set-drill-video/0_30#post_458570 will likely help you understand exactly what crisp and solid contact is suppsed to feel like.

Also, don't eat yellow snow.

s

w

i

n

g

e

a

s

y

... and let the club do the work - pure contact with a smooth swing will give far more distance and accuracy than trying to muscle the ball due to overswinging.   It's the hardest thing for beginners to do - everyone naturally thinks they have to swing hard to hit the ball a long ways.  Golf is about hitting a little white ball perfectly on the club face - which for all but the elite golfers rarely can be done when swinging truly hard

Most of the power comes from the torso, not from the arms!

Here's an odd one, while on the course...RELAX and have fun. getting mad at a bad shot only worsens your game.

Don't swing AT the ball from the top of the back swing. Let it fall and then let it rip.

Don't swing AT the ball from the top of the back swing. Let it fall and then let it rip.

That's a good one.

s

w

i

n

g

e

a

s

y

... and let the club do the work - pure contact with a smooth swing will give far more distance and accuracy than trying to muscle the ball due to overswinging.   It's the hardest thing for beginners to do - everyone naturally thinks they have to swing hard to hit the ball a long ways.  Golf is about hitting a little white ball perfectly on the club face - which for all but the elite golfers rarely can be done when swinging truly hard

This^^^ The instance you try to swing hard, you tense up and plenty of bad things happen.