IGNORED

Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

tigerwoo
Note: This thread is 2571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is golf a sport?

• Yes
    • No

The argument of sport v. game strikes me as one of the silliest that we get into.

The definition per Merrian-Webster: "a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other." Under that everything from football to fishing is a sport.

The people that want to deride golf or anything else as merely a game and not a sport are just self-important jerks.

I agree...one thing that will quite some of this foolish rant is Golf will be in the Olympics soon...

It comes from people that wrongly think golfers are not athletes. In my experience they feel athletics should require strength and/or a large amount of physical exertion. They completely ignore agility.

Athlete: a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility , stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Ha 100% yes so far. Competetive golf is a sport. We're always competing against ourselves,the course , or other people. Granted if your drinking a beer while eating a donut while doing it,you may not be competeing.

• Administrator

@jcjim , please use the search function before starting threads on topics which already have 25-page threads… Thank you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@jcjim, please use the search function before starting threads on topics which already have 25-page threads… Thank you.

I didn't know if the topic was discussed before....

Frankly if I need to do a search on every topic before I post a new topic then maybe this isn't the place for me...

I've been on golf forums for 20+ years and have never been asked to search every time I make a new thread....

• Upvote 1

I may have already commented on this thread. I did not read all the replies. I use to think golf was a game. However, IMHO, (which means squat), golf is a sport. It offers up competition, it's entertaining, and involves spectators. To me that's a sport. Golf is also game because the game of golf is also a sporting event. It's competitive, rules apply, and it's outcome is decided by luck, skill, and strength, much like most other sports are.

Are the people who play games/sports considered athletes?  Of course they are, because athletes, regardless of their skill levels, play games, and/or  sports. Some athletes are better/tougher athletes than others might be the only difference.

If anything the words game, and sport are probably synonymous with each other.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Sport? yes. Anything could be a sport.  Athletic event? nahh.  Nothing a 50+ fat white guy can win is. Same with Nascar.

And yet, world-class athletes from every professional sport and with all the time and resources at their disposal suck at it (relative to some 50+ year old fat guys). If you think athleticism is all about speed and power, we don't share the same definition.

Jon

If anything the words game, and sport are probably synonymous with each other.

I was going to pursue this line - "game, sport - can't it be both"

but you beat me to it

in any case, it's a ridiculous topic designed just to get under people's semantic collars and poke at the egos of self serious types

(I'm amazed at internet forums - it's a place where people........that typically can't really fight their way out of a grammar bag,,,,,,,,try to fight to the death over the wording of subjective issues

I've seen the angriest threads on line between two people that seem to agree with each other, but they can't see the agreement because they are too busy fighting over the slightly different ways they phrase their positions

and, it's very likely someone will disagree with the my statement and say something like "words have meaning" or some such)

• Upvote 3

Bill - 

(I'm amazed at internet forums - it's a place where people........that typically can't really fight their way out of a grammar bag,,,,,,,,try to fight to the death over the wording of subjective issues

I love this^^^^^ (even if it does apply to me).

Jon

I voted that Golf is a sport thinking I was going to be in the silent majority. . .guess not.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
I didn't know if the topic was discussed before....

Frankly if I need to do a search on every topic before I post a new topic then maybe this isn't the place for me...

I've been on golf forums for 20+ years and have never been asked to search every time I make a new thread....

It's a common courtesy. Search for an existing topic rather than creating yet another thread on a topic that's been discussed at length before.

My vote remains "it's a sport." Particularly at the higher levels.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I probably thought it was barely a sport before I played it but now that I've played it I've seen how being fit is an advantage.  It's still a joke that pro players get to use caddies though.  I walk all my rounds and carry my bag and think this is how the game should actually be played, especially by the pros.

After an hour of intensive practice I would say a sport, after a round of 4h walking and carrying (!) my bag, yes I would say it's a sport.

However I can understand when looking golf on tv where each pro player has a caddy and some players have some less athletic bodies to say the least, that some people call it a game.

At the professional level playing for money it's a sport. For everyone else it's a game. Same with pool, bowling, etc. Next question.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

After an hour of intensive practice I would say a sport, after a round of 4h walking and carrying (!) my bag, yes I would say it's a sport.

However I can understand when looking golf on tv where each pro player has a caddy and some players have some less athletic bodies to say the least, that some people call it a game.

I've played 81 holes the last 3 days, today 27 holes in 98° heat, and I'm beat.  54 holes on Monday and Tuesday at above 8000 feet.  Riding not walking, but that still takes a toll on a 68 year old body.  We are playing 18 more tomorrow and 18 again on Friday, temps still in the 90's each day.  If it ain't a sport, it sure is an exhausting game. :doh:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniJeffrey

I've played 81 holes the last 3 days, today 27 holes in 98° heat, and I'm beat.  54 holes on Monday and Tuesday at above 8000 feet.  Riding not walking, but that still takes a toll on a 68 year old body.  We are playing 18 more tomorrow and 18 again on Friday, temps still in the 90's each day.  If it ain't a sport, it sure is an exhausting game.

:dance: I'm with you. If I walk 18 on a hot day I am beat afterward. More than if I go for a hard mountain bike or long road ride on the bike. I guess my body is more conditioned for riding bikes than walking golf. Plus I sweat so much, I have a hard time getting enough fluid in.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Whats with all the complaints about fat guys? Is baseball a sport? Anyone disagree? I bet even I could beat Babe Ruth, or even today's CC Sabathia in several running events, but I don't think anyone disputes baseball being a sport.

Note: This thread is 2571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!