IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

1 minute ago, brocks said:

According to @Frank-0-Sport's link, you're in the WGC if you are in the top 50 either this week or next week, so nobody can knock him out next week.

The Barbisol only awards 24 points to the winner, and anybody capable of reaching the top 50 with so few points is probably playing in the Open rather than there, but it's theoretically possible -- IIRC, Kenny Perry once skipped the Open to play in an opposite event.  I very much doubt it would happen, though.

Thanks, didn't know that you were protected if in the top 50 after this week.

• Thumbs Up 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Replying to many who are both surprised and pleased by Tiger Woods' projected OWGR Top 50 ranking (official confirmation of it on Monday).

Early in the week, I was seeing reports that it might take at least a Top Five finish for Tiger to make the OWGR Top 50. If the mathematics are confirmed on Monday, he "squeaked in" with a 3-way tie for 6th, Possibly the OWGR Field Strength (SoF) of 902 for the 147th Open Championship may have helped here, though I am not expert enough to say for sure.

Incidently, as I pointed out over in the 147th Open thread, the 902 Field-Strength rating puts the Open Championship at the top of such ranked events for calendar year 2018, with the WGC Bridgestone and PGA Championship still yet to come. Following the 147th Open in Field Strength (SoF) are the US Open (855), the Players Championship (854), the Masters (794), WGC Match Play (733), WGC Mexico City (679), the Memorial Tournament (652), Genesis-Los Angeles (500), Wells Fargo (492) and W.M. Phoenix (477).

LINK: OWGR Events Page -- Toggle SoF (Field Strength) so that the highest ranked event is shown first, and lower ranking events follow in descending order.

Edited by Frank-0-Sport

35 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Possibly the OWGR Field Strength (SoF) of 902 for the 147th Open Championship may have helped here, though I am not expert enough to say for sure.

No, the OWGR points for majors are hardwired, regardless of the strength of field.  The Players was stronger than the Masters, as you posted, and yet the Masters winner got 20 more points than the Players winner, and proportionately down the standings.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, brocks said:

IIRC, Kenny Perry once skipped the Open to play in an opposite event.  I very much doubt it would happen, though.

2008, Kenny Perry wanted to focus on qualifying for the Ryder Cup, which was being held in his birthstate.  He had also won his two immediate prior starts and had a T-6 prior to those two.  He finished T-6 in the opposite field event and did qualify for the Ryder Cup.  As to what would have happened if he had shown up at Royal Birkdale instead, who knows.  He did qualify for the Ryder Cup though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Woods is currently at 1.75 strokes gained average (ranked 6th!). His putting is finally start to pick up. I believe he was near the bottom of the PGA Tour recently. Now he's almost in the top 50 in putting.

Now he's going to a course he's owned over his career at Firestone South. Even thought he faltered a bit this week. He can take a lot of positives from being in the lead on a Sunday. I'd look out for him at the Bridgestone.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It’s good to see the big cat getting past the Foley time.  He played to his strengths and I really like seeing him more upright with arms in the rehearsals.  

One hole.   more specifically, 1 bad flop shot killed him.  It was there, though.   

I disagree with the announcers, though.   I think the flop was the right call.   on a major hunt, you've gotta make plays.  club just slid under the ball.   I bet if you give him that same shot 10 times, he makes Par 7 times, bogey 2 times, and double once.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

2 minutes ago, lastings said:

One hole.   more specifically, 1 bad flop shot killed him.  It was there, though.   

I disagree with the announcers, though.   I think the flop was the right call.   on a major hunt, you've gotta make plays.  club just slid under the ball.   I bet if you give him that same shot 10 times, he makes Par 7 times, bogey 2 times, and double once.   

I missed that.  One second he's tied for 1st.  I step out and come back and he's a couple down.....is there a clip?

Bill - 

1 minute ago, rehmwa said:

I missed that.  One second he's tied for 1st.  I step out and come back and he's a couple down.....is there a clip?

I imagine I could track one down.. 

check out my swing here

1 minute ago, lastings said:

I imagine I could track one down.. 

I deleted the recording, it might still be in the trash file on the DVR when I get home.  Apparently this was hole 12 (or 14) after he hit a fan.  THANKS, I think I can find it.

Bill - 

3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I deleted the recording, it might still be in the trash file on the DVR when I get home.  Apparently this was hole 12 (or 14) after he hit a fan.  THANKS, I think I can find it.

yeah, it was hole 11.   

check out my swing here

It was a mistake, too much risk during a shot under the highest pressure. He should have chipped it on the green and make bogey or par. 

I think he needs to get used to win again. After a couple of wins, gates will go open.

"too much risk during a shot under the highest pressure."

isn't this what Tiger Woods does, though?   he was in shot maker mode at that point in the tournament.  

I mean, it's a little flop shot.  We've seen Tiger execute that shot under pressure countless times.   The moment I see Tiger chip that ball left and settle for a probably bogey, is the moment I know the old Tiger is dead and buried.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

check out my swing here

18 minutes ago, lastings said:

I agree that the flop was the right call. If it carried another yard it would have been a great shot. Even with the result of the flop, I was confident he'd get it up and down for bogey... the double really hurt. Man I was so sure he was going to drain the birdie after hitting that crazy wedge shot at 10, too. Such a turn of events from solo 1st thru 10 to outside the top 5 after 12. I wonder if TW is as crushed as I am LOL.  He is going to win soon, surely!!

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5* S driver
Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Callaway Big Bertha 3-10i, 50* W
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

2 minutes ago, Dakota Atkinson said:

Man I was so sure he was going to drain the birdie after hitting that crazy wedge shot at 10, too. 

that wedge out of the bunker was incredible.   

check out my swing here

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

It’s good to see the big cat getting past the Foley time.  He played to his strengths and I really like seeing him more upright with arms in the rehearsals.  

Meanwhile, on planet Earth, sane people recognize that Kevin Chappell and Justin Rose both work with Foley.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hey @iacas, what do you think Tiger is trying to feel when he does those really loose practice swings? Going past parallel at the top and (asfaict) almost relaxing his grip at the top?

Colin P.

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

It was a mistake, too much risk during a shot under the highest pressure. He should have chipped it on the green and make bogey or par. 

I think he needs to get used to win again. After a couple of wins, gates will go open.

Yes I agree he shouldn't have tried the flop at that time because double is a killer compared to bogey.Thing is he shouldn't have tried that bunker shot from fairway either but he was playing aggressive and pulled that off so he probably thought he could do it.