IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Do you see what I meant, though? Particularly the first video DTL view.

For all we know he was trying to hit a big cut or something.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Club kind of flips leftΒ after he hits it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just for grins, last night I looked up Tiger Woods in Wikipedia.Β  What an endless, endless listing of player of the year, tournaments won, major tournaments won, lowest scoring average, etc etc etc.Β Β  11 times PGA Player of the year.Β Β  10 times leading money winner.Β  9 times Vardon Trophy.Β  2 times Fedex Cup champion.Β  79 PGA Tour Victories.Β Β  40 European Tour victories.Β  14 major championships.Β 

What a ginormous pile of accomplishments.Β  Mind-boggling.Β Β  Looking back, it's amazing what an incredibly great player he was.Β  He absolutely CRUSHED the greatest players in the world for a DECADE.Β 

I always knew he was the best, but looking back, I think maybe I didn't appreciate him enough.Β 

Hard to believe, it's been almost 9 years since he won a major.Β  Time flies.Β 

Β 

• Upvote 1

Probably overkill w/the videos, yet another video, slow motion, driver, dtl.

Β 

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Probably overkill w/the videos, yet another video, slow motion, driver, dtl.

Β 

Definitely not overkill to me! I love swing videos, specially of Tiger.Β 

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 |Β TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood |Β Edel 3-PW | 52Β° | 60Β° | Blade Putter

It looks like his hips are stalling. Maybe it's to protect his knee?

This looks to be a strange position. Lots of axis tilt, hips not nearly as open as they use to be.Β 

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 7.00.22 PM.png

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It looks like his hips are stalling. Maybe it's to protect his knee?

This looks to be a strange position. Lots of axis tilt, hips not nearly as open as they use to be.Β 

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 7.00.22 PM.png

Yeah, chest a bit closed too. I agree it's a bit odd.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

hips not nearly as open as they use to be.Β 

Wouldn't that protect the spine/back from further injury?
Β 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, chest a bit closed too. I agree it's a bit odd.

Why would he have his shoulders and hips more closed now? What would be the benefit of that?Β 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 |Β TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood |Β Edel 3-PW | 52Β° | 60Β° | Blade Putter

• Administrator
1 minute ago, jbishop15 said:

Why would he have his shoulders and hips more closed now? What would be the benefit of that?Β 

Could be a flaw. Could be that he's simply not as dynamic or as fast with the hips, etc. as he used to be.

Could be a bad camera angle that makes it look more like that than it really is.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Could be a flaw. Could be that he's simply not as dynamic or as fast with the hips, etc. as he used to be.

Could be a bad camera angle that makes it look more like that than it really is.

Makes sense. That'd be quite a lot of slowing down, to be that closed.Β 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Makes sense. That'd be quite a lot of slowing down, to be that closed.Β 

? He's not THAT far off. Noticeable, perhaps, but it's not like he's half as open as he was or something.

@mvmac what do you think?

Just now, iacas said:

? He's not THAT far off. Noticeable, perhaps, but it's not like he's half as open as he was or something.

You're much more knowledgable on the subject than I, so I'll defer to you on this. You're probs right.Β 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

4 tournaments in 5 weeks might not be so bad if he misses the cuts.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Right he's not far off but less open than he was when he was playing well. Could be a function of dealing with the injuries, age, probably a combo of both.

From a technical standpoint I think the whole swing is better than where it was towards the end of his time with Foley. Backswing pivot looks more "freed up", arm swing is longer and a little more upright, less narrow and less handleΒ drag on the downswing. His speed looks pretty good as well.

One thing I've alway disliked about Tiger's swing is his followthrough with the high right shoulder.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Right he's not far off but less open than he was when he was playing well. Could be a function of dealing with the injuries, age, probably a combo of both.

Yeah. I just hope it's not something he's trying to do.

From a technical standpoint I think the whole swing is better than where it was towards the end of his time with Foley. Backswing pivot looks more "freed up", arm swing is longer and a little more upright, less narrow and less handleΒ drag on the downswing. His speed looks pretty good as well.

Agreed.

One thing I've alway disliked about Tiger's swing is his followthrough with the high right shoulder.

I wonder if it's more pronounced because turning in that much flexion and extension hurts his lower back.

Hey @mvmac, this thought just occurred to me… Do you think maybe he's setting up more open so that he can further take some stress off while also being "more open" at impact?

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Hey @mvmac, this thought just occurred to me… Do you think maybe he's setting up more open so that he can further take some stress off while also being "more open" at impact?

Yes I think so. Additionally I think it can be an effective wayΒ for him to keep his speed up while still having control. Obviously wasn't the case yesterday but seemed better today. Not an easy couple of courses to start the year (especially when the balls not rolling),Β we'll have to see how things progress after 5 or 6 events.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm not saying I believe in these things - but it might not be a good sign that Tiger is now ranked # 666

Heh.