IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Again...not surprising. You guys are just good at that kind of stuff. If I can’t bend it, break it, or f*** it I’m outta luck.

It's soothing, sharpening knives with a whetstone.

A little meditation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Beastie said:

Fair enough. I  just use a sharpening steel. But the Accusharp do an ok job for light use. 

It's not really a sharpening steel. It's a honing steel. I like the distinction, because at a certain point it will not actually sharpent your knife as well because you need a rougher material to do so. 

A few more tidbits. If you buy a new knife, be careful using it because an extremely sharp knife can chip. Especially on knives with steep cutting angles. 

It should be very rarely you need to use very coarse material to sharpent a knife. That is used more to take the knife down because there is a chip. Usually a medium grit is good to take of a small bit of material then a finer grit to finish the edge. Then a honing steel to just keep the edge straight and keep the edge longer. Even over a certain point the honing steel will not put an edge back on like a wetstone or other sharpeners. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's soothing, sharpening knives with a whetstone.

A little meditation.

It's also fun to do when your daughter has a date picking her up. 😉

Anyone else like to pickle foods? These were some Lil Smokies that a pickled a few weeks ago. E2D775D1-FC8B-40C8-8B27-4006CB4CA18C.jpeg

Edited by CarlSpackler
Spelling

- Shane

6 hours ago, Beastie said:

the Accusharp is decent and requires no skill level to use. 

I take an accusharp with me to AirBnB or VRBO rentals, where usually the house has cheap, dull knives. It's great for a quick and easy sharpening.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I used to sharpen knives with a whetstone too. That’s how my dad did it. Hunting and fishing knives.

2 hours ago, billchao said:

I’ve been sharpening with a whetstone for over 20 years now and I prefer it over an actual sharpener because it removes less steel from my knives.

My dad always carries a little oil stone in his backpack that he sharpens his camping/fishing knives with. That's how I learned to sharpen knives. He's an old school boy scout "always be prepared" type.

I used to always use a set of Japanese sharpening stones for my nicer knives. IMO using a stone is the best way to sharpen if you're willing to learn how to do it, and buy some decent stones. I tested the sharpness of my knives by shaving a strip of hair off my left arm. My friends always asked why my left forearm was shaved, and when I explained it to them, I got the nickname "sharpener", and started getting requests to sharpen everyone's knives. These days, I take my expensive knives to a local Japanese knife and tool shop for sharpening, and the rest get sharpened every couple months with the Work Sharp.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I hone my knives with every use. To sharpen them I use a whetstone. I’ve been sharpening with a whetstone for over 20 years now and I prefer it over an actual sharpener because it removes less steel from my knives.

I always hone them before use too. The belt sharpener I have does a better job than I could do with the whetstone. 

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's also fun to do when your daughter has a date picking her up. 😉

Anyone else like to pickle foods? These were some Lil Smokies that a pickled a few weeks ago. E2D775D1-FC8B-40C8-8B27-4006CB4CA18C.jpeg

I make my own pickles and pickled red onion. I use this recipe. I do cut the sugar a bit though.

pickle-slices-checkers.jpg

Here's a quick way to make pickles in 30 minutes. This quick and simple recipe makes sweet and sour pickle slices for sandwiches perfect for mounding on hamburgers, deli meats, pulled pork

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Again...not surprising. You guys are just good at that kind of stuff. If I can’t bend it, break it, or f*** it I’m outta luck.

You’re really selling yourself short, man. It’s not particularly difficult and because you’re not taking off too much material at a time, you really can’t f*** up a knife to the point that it’s irreparable.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I make my own pickles and pickled red onion. I use this recipe. I do cut the sugar a bit though.

I have been using Truvia instead of sugar. I can't tell a difference. I love pickled eggs / meat, but I don't like pickles. Something about the way it crunches... I will put pickle juice on sandwiches though.

- Shane

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

I have been using Truvia instead of sugar. I can't tell a difference. I love pickled eggs / meat, but I don't like pickles. Something about the way it crunches... I will put pickle juice on sandwiches though.

I should try Truvia. I use it in my coffee. I also use pickle juice in sandwiches and other recipes. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

My wife convinced me to buy some Cutco knives.   They will actually come to the house to sharpen our knives for the life of the knives.   They weren't cheap but work extremely well. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, billchao said:

You’re really selling yourself short, man. It’s not particularly difficult and because you’re not taking off too much material at a time, you really can’t f*** up a knife to the point that it’s irreparable.

So maybe I give the whetstone a try before getting Scott’s flux capacitor Ken Onion sharpener?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

53 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So maybe I give the whetstone a try before getting Scott’s flux capacitor Ken Onion sharpener?

I mean I would, but of course I don’t own a knife sharpener 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

back to the future 121 gigawatts GIF

Scott

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

It's not really a sharpening steel. It's a honing steel. I like the distinction, because at a certain point it will not actually sharpent your knife as well because you need a rougher material to do so. 

A few more tidbits. If you buy a new knife, be careful using it because an extremely sharp knife can chip. Especially on knives with steep cutting angles. 

It should be very rarely you need to use very coarse material to sharpent a knife. That is used more to take the knife down because there is a chip. Usually a medium grit is good to take of a small bit of material then a finer grit to finish the edge. Then a honing steel to just keep the edge straight and keep the edge longer. Even over a certain point the honing steel will not put an edge back on like a wetstone or other sharpeners. 

Yeah,  I’m have a honing steel, which is used as required, 10 - 15 times a day. My knives are always proper sharp.  I also have a dual sided whetstone, and  use the Accusharp infrequently. As you say it’s more about re-applying the edge. 

Stevie T

4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Pickled eggs are a big seller round these ways.  Chilli, whole black peppercorns, bay leaves and mustard seed with a malt vinegar based pickling juice. They go well with a pint.

Stevie T

I used that Work Sharp Sharpener. It took me like 5 minutes to sharpen a knife. 

Here is a sharp test result. 

That is my Victorinox knife I've had for about around 10 years. I use it 5-6 times a week. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

34 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I used that Work Sharp Sharpener. It took me like 5 minutes to sharpen a knife. 

Here is a sharp test result. 

That is my Victorinox knife I've had for about around 10 years. I use it 5-6 times a week. 

Love the sound!  Just resonates sharp.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Love the sound!  Just resonates sharp.

It is kinda of satisfying to listen to. 🙂

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag