IGNORED

Food Thread

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Again...not surprising. You guys are just good at that kind of stuff. If I can’t bend it, break it, or f*** it I’m outta luck.

It's soothing, sharpening knives with a whetstone.

A little meditation.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't get a chance to watch the video when you first posted it, and almost forgot about this. I'm glad it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

Huge bowl of protein ice cream 245 calories 21 protein 41 carbs 3 fat

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Beastie said:

Fair enough. I  just use a sharpening steel. But the Accusharp do an ok job for light use. 

It's not really a sharpening steel. It's a honing steel. I like the distinction, because at a certain point it will not actually sharpent your knife as well because you need a rougher material to do so. 

A few more tidbits. If you buy a new knife, be careful using it because an extremely sharp knife can chip. Especially on knives with steep cutting angles. 

It should be very rarely you need to use very coarse material to sharpent a knife. That is used more to take the knife down because there is a chip. Usually a medium grit is good to take of a small bit of material then a finer grit to finish the edge. Then a honing steel to just keep the edge straight and keep the edge longer. Even over a certain point the honing steel will not put an edge back on like a wetstone or other sharpeners. 

(edited)
29 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's soothing, sharpening knives with a whetstone.

A little meditation.

It's also fun to do when your daughter has a date picking her up. 😉

Anyone else like to pickle foods? These were some Lil Smokies that a pickled a few weeks ago. E2D775D1-FC8B-40C8-8B27-4006CB4CA18C.jpeg

Edited by CarlSpackler
Spelling

6 hours ago, Beastie said:

the Accusharp is decent and requires no skill level to use. 

I take an accusharp with me to AirBnB or VRBO rentals, where usually the house has cheap, dull knives. It's great for a quick and easy sharpening.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I used to sharpen knives with a whetstone too. That’s how my dad did it. Hunting and fishing knives.

2 hours ago, billchao said:

I’ve been sharpening with a whetstone for over 20 years now and I prefer it over an actual sharpener because it removes less steel from my knives.

My dad always carries a little oil stone in his backpack that he sharpens his camping/fishing knives with. That's how I learned to sharpen knives. He's an old school boy scout "always be prepared" type.

I used to always use a set of Japanese sharpening stones for my nicer knives. IMO using a stone is the best way to sharpen if you're willing to learn how to do it, and buy some decent stones. I tested the sharpness of my knives by shaving a strip of hair off my left arm. My friends always asked why my left forearm was shaved, and when I explained it to them, I got the nickname "sharpener", and started getting requests to sharpen everyone's knives. These days, I take my expensive knives to a local Japanese knife and tool shop for sharpening, and the rest get sharpened every couple months with the Work Sharp.

I'll tell you this... I sure have learned a lot about knives and knife sharpening in the last 24 hours. Quite the education.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I hone my knives with every use. To sharpen them I use a whetstone. I’ve been sharpening with a whetstone for over 20 years now and I prefer it over an actual sharpener because it removes less steel from my knives.

I always hone them before use too. The belt sharpener I have does a better job than I could do with the whetstone. 

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's also fun to do when your daughter has a date picking her up. 😉

Anyone else like to pickle foods? These were some Lil Smokies that a pickled a few weeks ago. E2D775D1-FC8B-40C8-8B27-4006CB4CA18C.jpeg

I make my own pickles and pickled red onion. I use this recipe. I do cut the sugar a bit though.

pickle-slices-checkers.jpg

Here's a quick way to make pickles in 30 minutes. This quick and simple recipe makes sweet and sour pickle slices for sandwiches perfect for mounding on hamburgers, deli meats, pulled pork

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Again...not surprising. You guys are just good at that kind of stuff. If I can’t bend it, break it, or f*** it I’m outta luck.

You’re really selling yourself short, man. It’s not particularly difficult and because you’re not taking off too much material at a time, you really can’t f*** up a knife to the point that it’s irreparable.

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I make my own pickles and pickled red onion. I use this recipe. I do cut the sugar a bit though.

I have been using Truvia instead of sugar. I can't tell a difference. I love pickled eggs / meat, but I don't like pickles. Something about the way it crunches... I will put pickle juice on sandwiches though.

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

I have been using Truvia instead of sugar. I can't tell a difference. I love pickled eggs / meat, but I don't like pickles. Something about the way it crunches... I will put pickle juice on sandwiches though.

I should try Truvia. I use it in my coffee. I also use pickle juice in sandwiches and other recipes. 

My wife convinced me to buy some Cutco knives.   They will actually come to the house to sharpen our knives for the life of the knives.   They weren't cheap but work extremely well. 

1 hour ago, billchao said:

You’re really selling yourself short, man. It’s not particularly difficult and because you’re not taking off too much material at a time, you really can’t f*** up a knife to the point that it’s irreparable.

So maybe I give the whetstone a try before getting Scott’s flux capacitor Ken Onion sharpener?

53 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So maybe I give the whetstone a try before getting Scott’s flux capacitor Ken Onion sharpener?

I mean I would, but of course I don’t own a knife sharpener 😃

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

back to the future 121 gigawatts GIF

6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

It's not really a sharpening steel. It's a honing steel. I like the distinction, because at a certain point it will not actually sharpent your knife as well because you need a rougher material to do so. 

A few more tidbits. If you buy a new knife, be careful using it because an extremely sharp knife can chip. Especially on knives with steep cutting angles. 

It should be very rarely you need to use very coarse material to sharpent a knife. That is used more to take the knife down because there is a chip. Usually a medium grit is good to take of a small bit of material then a finer grit to finish the edge. Then a honing steel to just keep the edge straight and keep the edge longer. Even over a certain point the honing steel will not put an edge back on like a wetstone or other sharpeners. 

Yeah,  I’m have a honing steel, which is used as required, 10 - 15 times a day. My knives are always proper sharp.  I also have a dual sided whetstone, and  use the Accusharp infrequently. As you say it’s more about re-applying the edge. 

4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Pickled eggs are a big seller round these ways.  Chilli, whole black peppercorns, bay leaves and mustard seed with a malt vinegar based pickling juice. They go well with a pint.

(edited)

I used that Work Sharp Sharpener. It took me like 5 minutes to sharpen a knife. 

Here is a sharp test result. 

That is my Victorinox knife I've had for about around 10 years. I use it 5-6 times a week. 

Edited by saevel25

34 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I used that Work Sharp Sharpener. It took me like 5 minutes to sharpen a knife. 

Here is a sharp test result. 

That is my Victorinox knife I've had for about around 10 years. I use it 5-6 times a week. 

Love the sound!  Just resonates sharp.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Love the sound!  Just resonates sharp.

It is kinda of satisfying to listen to. 🙂