IGNORED

Embedded Ball Questions

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulesman

I don't know where you got those words from but this is what the rules say

What do you do when you are pulling one guy's leg and another guy's leg comes off in your hand?

Why not at least give him a proper answer before trying to remove his limb?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What do you do when you are pulling one guy's leg and another guy's leg comes off in your hand?

Too subtle for me. But I wonder how many believed that is the rule.

[QUOTE name="Rulesman" url="/t/76267/embedded-ball-questions#post_1032014"]   I don't know where you got those words from but this is what the rules say  [/QUOTE] What do you do when you are pulling one guy's leg and another guy's leg comes off in your hand?

Hey... If you have a different rules question, maybe you should start a new thread? Not sure where the rules say what to do with missing body parts though?? :)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

If the body part is still lying on the course, it is a loose impediment whilst the other bit that is still hopping around is an outside agency..... unless it is your legless opponent in match play.

:whistle:

I did once start a game against a friend when we were both legless, but it didn't last more than 2 erratic holes when we decided the honourable thing was to call it a half and return to the pub.

Too subtle for me. But I wonder how many believed that is the rule.

Sorry.  I thought the references to trial, judge,subpoena, and discovery would have made it clear but maybe these things are called by different names in the UK.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Are human body parts considered to be man made?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

That depends.

Do you believe in God?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That depends. Do you believe in God?

I am not touching that one.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

:whistle:

If it's a real body part, it is not man made and is, as I said, a loose impediment.  If, however, the unfortunate golfer has been detached from a prosthetic limb, the artificial limb is an obstruction.

It is essential to know the difference lest you come across a detached limb in a hazard. :-)

@Rulesman , thanks for the post regarding embedded balls.

I had a situation recently happen that falls into this Rule.  It was a wet day and the ground was pretty soft.  I saw my ball hit and roll/bounce a bit forward.  When I got to the ball is was sitting in a pitch mark on the green's collar/fringe.  It seemed to me to be pretty questionable as to whether I deserved relief as the visual evidence suggested that was not my pitch mark.  Also, the ball was not all the way in or stuck in the depression.  Since I was not sure the ball was embedded in my pitch mark, I played it without relief.

If it is not clear that the ball is embedded, I believe it is acceptable to advise one's fellow competitors or opponents that you are going to mark and lift to determine if the ball is embedded.  In my case, even if the ball was technically embedded, there was no point in checking since I was fairly certain it was not my pitch mark.

Brian Kuehn

A serious reply.

You do not have any justification in the Rules for lifting your ball to find out if it is embedded. Nor do you need to - you can determine whether it is or not visually using the explanation in Decision 25-2/0.5 as quoted above.

In the situation you describe, your ball is not embedded in its own pitch mark if you saw it strike the ground and then bounce forwards and come to rest.  If it bounces forward and then spins back into its mark, it is embedded, but not if it stays in a different place from where it struck the ground.

Who is to say the ball couldn't make a pitch mark the second time it hit the ground?-If my ball is in a pitch mark in closely mown area and nobody can definitively say my ball didnt just roll into it Im taking it out.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

You do not have any justification in the Rules for lifting your ball to find out if it is embedded.

He does. See http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-20/#d20-1-0.7

The answer to the question is simple.  If you have reason to believe that the ball is NOT lying in its own pitch mark, then it isn't.  Lacking such belief then it is.  Once again, you agonize over what is basically an irrelevancy.  I have seen a ball hit, hop then still end up in its own pitch mark.  In this case, that is what I would assume had happened, and you could never prove that I was wrong without high def video from 15 different angles.

I was working under a similar assumption, but when I lifted the ball, the pitch mark it was sitting in didn't seem fresh (aka it looked like it might be someone's old pitch mark rather than my new one)

I don't know where you got those words from but this is what the rules say

25-2/0.5

When Ball Embedded in Ground

A ball is deemed to be embedded in the ground only if:

the impact of the ball landing has created a pitch-mark in the ground,

the ball is in its own pitch-mark, and

part of the ball is below the level of the ground.

Provided that these three requirements are met, a ball does not necessarily have to touch the soil to be considered embedded (e.g., grass, loose impediments or the like may intervene between the ball and the soil).

Any doubt as to whether a ball is embedded should be resolved against the player. (Revised)

My ball looked like pic 1

@Rulesman, thanks for the post regarding embedded balls.

I had a situation recently happen that falls into this Rule.  It was a wet day and the ground was pretty soft.  I saw my ball hit and roll/bounce a bit forward.  When I got to the ball is was sitting in a pitch mark on the green's collar/fringe.  It seemed to me to be pretty questionable as to whether I deserved relief as the visual evidence suggested that was not my pitch mark.  Also, the ball was not all the way in or stuck in the depression.  Since I was not sure the ball was embedded in my pitch mark, I played it without relief.

If it is not clear that the ball is embedded, I believe it is acceptable to advise one's fellow competitors or opponents that you are going to mark and lift to determine if the ball is embedded.  In my case, even if the ball was technically embedded, there was no point in checking since I was fairly certain it was not my pitch mark.

This was very similar to my case.

He does. See http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-20/#d20-1-0.7

Thanks for providing this.  I looked at the 25-2 decisions but didn't think to look at the rule 20 decisions.  It seems as if I acted correctly by picking up and then replacing my ball when the subsequent  evidence didn't support that it was in its OWN pitch mark.

So back to my original question- What level of proof or certainty do you need that a ball is embedded IN ITS OWN PITCH MARK to take relief under rule 25-2? In my situation, an HD video replay would have clarified the answer, but without it, I couldn't be certain one way or another whether the pitch mark I was embedded in was my own or not.  Using Fourputt's logic of it spinning back into its own mark, I could make an argument that there is "enough" evidence that it was embedded in its own mark.  However, Fourputt's standard wouldn't have been met once some evidence appeared that the mark MAY have been older.

The ROG say you must have "virtual certainty" before assuming your ball is lost in a water hazard and taking relief.  Is there a similar or corresponding phrase for rule 25-2?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Who is to say the ball couldn't make a pitch mark the second time it hit the ground?.

Is it a pitch mark if the originating shot was a chip?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It is NOT considered a pitch mark IF you drive the ball straight down into the turf without it getting airborne, but I see nothing in the rules that say it can't be embedded from a chip shot.  However, the rules do say that if you take relief from an embedded ball and then play a shot that rolls back into the same pitch mark, you DON'T get relief a second time.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

How much bounce was used?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!