IGNORED

Glove Vs. No Glove

webb1522
Note: This thread is 1408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, boogielicious said:

I started wearing arm sleeves last year. I sweat a lot and it keeps my arms drier.  The are very functional and do not look fashionable in my opinion, but I don’t care. They work and they keep your hands drier. 

I don’t like wearing gloves and arm sleeves reduces the need to. I only wear rain gloves during wet weather now whereas I would wear them in really humid conditions too. I think you are off base about glove functionality too. Some people’s hands need the extra gripping power.

I think that those arm sleeves are more useful to a golfer than an indoor basketball player. At least they reduce UV exposure when you are outside. 

I guess on the glove one of two things is happening. Either I am way off base on how sweaty the average person's hands get, or people don't need them but are conditioned into believing they need to wear one (I think it's this one).

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every once in a while I'll come across a glove and attempt to use it as a sort of experiment. People, knowing I'm a golfer, will occasionally give me one as a gift.

The glove comes off when its time to putt. Then I have trouble remembering to put the damn thing back on. My conclusion is that the glove must not be making that much of a difference if it is so forgettable. It ends up just riding in my back pocket. 

Had a time or two I pulled a pair of pants out of the dryer and found a deformed glove still in that back pocket.

Edited by mcanadiens

I started wearing arm sleeves while golfing when the dermatologist suggested them.    I'd prefer not to wear them but I don't think the risk factor is a choice.    I've tried playing w/o a glove.   During the hot humid days of summer, the newer Golf Pride grips I have become slick.    The glove has become more of a necessity than an option.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I don't wear a glove, never liked it going back to playing baseball when I was younger.  

I prefer to feel the club in my hand and never have issues with it slipping, even in the rain. 

Gloves just make my hands sweat like crazy as well.

35 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I think that those arm sleeves are more useful to a golfer than an indoor basketball player. At least they reduce UV exposure when you are outside. 

I guess on the glove one of two things is happening. Either I am way off base on how sweaty the average person's hands get, or people don't need them but are conditioned into believing they need to wear one (I think it's this one).

I have a couple of sets of "thermal-sleeves". They are designed to keep in some measure of warmth. I like them for cool to cold days where early in the morning they will help keep my arms warm. Then a few holes in as the day warms up I can pull them off. I actually really like them.

I used to wear (and sometimes still do) Under-Armour thermal shirts under my golf shirt. The problem with that is when it would start getting warm you have to strip off both shirts and then put your golf shirt back on. I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see me do that on the course. 

As far as UV protection goes, I'm a very disciplined sunblock user. But I can see where arm sleeves or even calf sleeves would be useful for that. 

I read someplace that the most common place for men to get skin cancer is (in order) ears, nose, and calves. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

51 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I used to wear (and sometimes still do) Under-Armour thermal shirts under my golf shirt. The problem with that is when it would start getting warm you have to strip off both shirts and then put your golf shirt back on. I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see me do that on the course. 

sexy chris farley GIF by Saturday Night Live

This is how I change clothes on the golf course.

I like to wear a black glove, and I keep a pair of rain gloves in the bag for playing in the wet condition.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

- Shane

4 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Either I am way off base on how sweaty the average person's hands get, or people don't need them but are conditioned into believing they need to wear one (I think it's this one).

Again perhaps your swing speed is not fast enough to need any extra grip, therefor you are not in any position to determine whether or not gloves are beneficial to other players.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Again perhaps your swing speed is not fast enough to need any extra grip, therefor you are not in any position to determine whether or not gloves are beneficial to other players.

I already gave examples of pros that don't/didn't use gloves. If Couples and Hogan don't/ didn't need one, I don't think many players in the world swing would warrant one. I said that it most likely helps people that have sweat issues, but if you don't then it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

5 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I already gave examples of pros that don't/didn't use gloves. If Couples and Hogan don't/ didn't need one, I don't think many players in the world swing would warrant one. I said that it most likely helps people that have sweat issues, but if you don't then it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

I played two seasons without a glove... but found I was spitting (forgive me Covid-19) into my lead hand (and rubbing) to get more traction.  So went back to a glove.  It actually did make a difference... I really torque things with that lead hand and need to hang on tight...

10 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I have been told time and time again that the reason golfers wear a glove on only one hand is that most people are stronger with their dominant hand. In which case you wear the glove on your non-dominant hand in order to balance out your grip strength. I've always thought that was bullshit. If that were the case Phil Mickelson should be wearing a glove on his left hand, not his right, because in all other aspects of life Phil is right handed. 

Again, I like to wear the glove on my left hand for the driver and usually for fairway metals. I find I like the extra gripsion (yes, that's a word). I take it off immediately after hitting driver and don't put it on again until I pull a fairway metal or driver from the bag. I find the glove does nothing for me when I hit irons. And I actually think its a hinderance when playing wedge shots. How some folks wear a glove while putting is beyond comprehension to me. 

According to this poll, I'm in the minority in terms of glove use. I'm one of only 2 on here who wear their glove for just drivers and metal woods. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I think you are making a lot of assumptions about this and I don't think any of us are really in any position to tell somebody else whether they need to wear a glove or not. Some people need to wear a glove to play golf. Some people don't. Some people who don't need to wear a glove, do. Some people wear a glove on full swings but claim it affects their feel in the short game and putting, others wear a glove through the entire round. Maybe some people like to wear a glove so they don't tear up their hands. It can be functional, it can be a preference. It can be both. They're not mutually exclusive.

I don't wear a glove unless it's raining or cold, then I put on rain or winter gloves, respectively. The last time I wore a golf glove for a reason other than the weather was because I hit so many balls practicing in Erie last year that I tore a huge chunk of skin off my left thumb, which I do from time to time. It's actually in my profile picture.

I don't get sweaty palms. I do, however, sweat profusely from the pores on my face. So much so that I need to wear a sweatband when playing when it's hot or humid out because it affects my vision after a few holes. You can't tell me that I don't need a sweatband because you don't sweat the way I do, just as I can't tell you that you should wear one because I have to.

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

I swing fast, I don't wear a glove, and I'm still not in any position to determine whether or not gloves are beneficial to other players. I prefer not to spend money on gloves because I can get away with it. That's all there is to it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, billchao said:

I think you are making a lot of assumptions about this and I don't think any of us are really in any position to tell somebody else whether they need to wear a glove or not. Some people need to wear a glove to play golf. Some people don't. Some people who don't need to wear a glove, do. Some people wear a glove on full swings but claim it affects their feel in the short game and putting, others wear a glove through the entire round. Maybe some people like to wear a glove so they don't tear up their hands. It can be functional, it can be a preference. It can be both. They're not mutually exclusive.

I don't wear a glove unless it's raining or cold, then I put on rain or winter gloves, respectively. The last time I wore a golf glove for a reason other than the weather was because I hit so many balls practicing in Erie last year that I tore a huge chunk of skin off my left thumb, which I do from time to time. It's actually in my profile picture.

I don't get sweaty palms. I do, however, sweat profusely from the pores on my face. So much so that I need to wear a sweatband when playing when it's hot or humid out because it affects my vision after a few holes. You can't tell me that I don't need a sweatband because you don't sweat the way I do, just as I can't tell you that you should wear one because I have to.

I swing fast, I don't wear a glove, and I'm still not in any position to determine whether or not gloves are beneficial to other players. I prefer not to spend money on gloves because I can get away with it. That's all there is to it.

I am not telling anyone they need to wear a glove I just find it ridiculous for someone to state people wear gloves for vanity and not for function. I wish I didn't have to wear a glove, but I just cannot swing with confidence without one. Last time we went to Topgolf I didn't have a glove and the whole time I thought I was going to lose the club every time I took a swing.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

2 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I am not telling anyone they need to wear a glove I just find it ridiculous for someone to state people wear gloves for vanity and not for function. I wish I didn't have to wear a glove, but I just cannot swing with confidence without one. Last time we went to Topgolf I didn't have a glove and the whole time I thought I was going to lose the club every time I took a swing.

In case you missed it, I was simply stating that even if a person fit the criteria you set doesn't mean they're in a position to determine whether another person should wear one or not.

The whole position is kind of absurd, IMO. Why someone wears a golf glove if they may not need it is a bit like asking why they wear a hat when golfing on cloudy days.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

16 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Because they're going bald. Duh 🤪

But are they wearing the hat because they need it for UV protection or are they conditioned into believing that they need to wear one to cover up that they're going bald? 😜

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

In case you missed it, I was simply stating that even if a person fit the criteria you set doesn't mean they're in a position to determine whether another person should wear one or not.

The whole position is kind of absurd, IMO. Why someone wears a golf glove if they may not need it is a bit like asking why they wear a hat when golfing on cloudy days.

Now that IS vanity, I look damn good in a hat!

• 1 month later...

I’ve got arthritic hands and have found that wearing a glove on my left hand, and often on my right hand as well, makes a huge difference in my ability to play and enjoy the game. Not just any glove will suffice; it has to be a golf glove designed to help with arthritic finger joints. When I was younger, I often wore a glove in the summer because of sweat affecting my grip.

A couple of years ago, I tried arm sleeves, based on a discussion in this forum. To my astonishment, they actually have a cooling effect when playing in the 90s/100s.

Note: This thread is 1408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!