IGNORED

2014 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really like these matchups for the US

I don't like Watson's pairings or order. IMO it was a no-brainer Rory and Sergio were going out 4th, putting struggling Phil and Keegan against them is a lost point. Obviously no crystal ball here but I see it as US down one before they hit a ball.

I think the pairings came out great for the US.  I like the idea of getting all the rookies out in Fourballs right away and I really like that Spieth/Reed got matched up against Poulter/Gallacher.  It could either be a bloodbath if the Euros get going there or a huge boost for the US if 2 rookies can slay Poulter - who, let's be honest, has been playing worse than Phil and Keegan coming.  I think all 3 of those guys, however, will step their games up.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I'm looking forward to watching it and don't even mind that the U.S. is such an underdog. Who knows? Maybe our guys will play over their heads for a change.

I don't like Watson's pairings or order. IMO it was a no-brainer Rory and Sergio were going out 4th, putting struggling Phil and Keegan against them is a lost point. Obviously no crystal ball here but I see it as US down one before they hit a ball.

No one gets more fired up on the American squad than Keegan, so I almost think of him like I do Poulter- it doesn't matter how he's been doing leading up the event. I think he'll find some form. And he can bomb the ball out there with Rory and won't be intimidated. And yes, Phil has been a lot more miss than hit this year but the dude almost won the PGA last month and is as competitive as anyone. The Rory and Sergio match is obviously going to be a tough one for us but I can't think of any pairing I'd rather have playing them.

@ FarawayFairways great analysis in your post.

As a Euro fan *ducks for cover* I think that the first batch of picks comes out slightly in USA's favour. I think there are some really intelligent picks from Tom Watson in there.

However, I'd say that we have to remember that the Ryder cup is a special beast and for some reason it changes the golfers into different players, so ignore everything you read; forget predictions, tuck into the golf feast that is upon us and cheer like madmen!

Hi, My name is Matt.

Anyone against Serg and Rors, on paper would be a lost point. I like Phil and Keegs against them better than any other US combo. Don't know who'd be better equipped, on paper, to face them. Horschel (aka: Rory-slayer) is not here.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get why Furyk is sitting out in the morning due to his poor record in the format, but I'm not sure I could sit him if I was captain.  The same goes for Kuchar, but we will see how it goes.  I don't really like the match-ups for the U.S. except Fowler and Walker.  I think they will get a point, but the other three matches are up in the air for me.  Reed/Spieth could get hot and feed off each other very well, but on the other hand, Reed could shoot 80.  I give credit to Watson for making a bold choice to play all the rookies in the morning, but I'm not sure it's the right call.  We'll find out.  I like our afternoon chances on day one with a rested Furyk/Kuchar and Mahan/Johnson going out, but I'm worried about the morning four ball.

Holy moly, The Ryder Cup starts tomorrow!  Woo!!

Weather tomorrow looks brutal. I think we'll be seeing ski caps and gloves with wind chills in the upper 30s/ low 40s tomorrow morning. Fowler and Poulter are two of the best wind players in the field, so I look for both of their teams to win. Gonna be interesting to see how McIlroy/Garcia play together. Sometimes putting two powerhouses together doesn't always work.

Weather tomorrow looks brutal. I think we'll be seeing ski caps and gloves with wind chills in the upper 30s/ low 40s tomorrow morning. Fowler and Poulter are two of the best wind players in the field, so I look for both of their teams to win. Gonna be interesting to see how McIlroy/Garcia play together. Sometimes putting two powerhouses together doesn't always work.

That's the weather they had been projecting earlier in the week, I guess it's going to hit.  I'm surprised, given the potential weather conditions, that Watson would sit Furyk and Kuchar who have more experience playing in the wind than rookies Reed and Spieth.

Joe Paradiso

That's the weather they had been projecting earlier in the week, I guess it's going to hit.  I'm surprised, given the potential weather conditions, that Watson would sit Furyk and Kuchar who have more experience playing in the wind than rookies Reed and Spieth.

The guy who is one of the best wind players out there is Zach Johnson. That's who I'd want. Guy won the Masters in 2007 in identical conditions to what you're going to see tomorrow.

The rookies need to cut their teeth in four-ball; if Tom doesn't send them out in the morning session, they wouldn't be on the course until Saturday. I'm surprised that Spieth and Reed are paired together, though. Spieth was the one first-timer I thought could be held until alternate shot, and Reed would go out with a veteran like Kuchar.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Am I the only one who gets annoyed with Watson's long windedness? It's not all the time but.....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Am I the only one who gets annoyed with Watson's long windedness? It's not all the time but.....

No. @FarawayFairways does too. :-$

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!