IGNORED

Robert Allenby Claims He Was Kidnapped, Beaten, Robbed in Hawaii

jamo
Note: This thread is 3198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Keep in mind that he had to file a police report if his cards were stolen, even if he simply passed out drunk without foul play. The bank wont do anything if you don't file a police report. Of course, that doesn't explain the differences in the story. Just saying that he couldn't just keep this quiet.

[quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/79330/robert-allenby-kidnapped-beaten-robbed-in-hawaii/120#post_1098494"] He could easily call his bank and say I lost my credit cards, no idea where they are. No need to file a police report as far as I know. They will simply disable the credit cards, issue you a new one.. If charges already happend they will investigate from their end.[/quote] [quote name="dsc123" url="/t/79330/robert-allenby-kidnapped-beaten-robbed-in-hawaii/120#post_1098511"] My mother in law just went through this. The bank wont call it fraud if you don't file a report. It keeps people honest and gets the cops working with them (if they even bother) to find the thief and possibly get some of the money back. This still doesn't explain the details of his story, though.[/quote] [quote name="dsc123" url="/t/79330/robert-allenby-kidnapped-beaten-robbed-in-hawaii/120#post_1098530"] Right, it's the fraud protection that requires the police report.[/quote]I don't think so. We got a call one afternoon from our cc asking if we just purchased something in some state (don't remember which) across the country. I said nope, and they said yeah we figured, and then cancelled our credit cards AND THOSE CHARGES and sent us new ones a couple of days later.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think so. We got a call one afternoon from our cc asking if we just purchased something in some state (don't remember which) across the country. I said nope, and they said yeah we figured, and then cancelled our credit cards AND THOSE CHARGES and sent us new ones a couple of days later.

Same happened to me. A store called and asked if we would be home to accept delivery of our new plasma tv, I said that I hadn't purchased one. They said they were calling the cops, found out later, when I renewed my local newspaper prescription the clown that took my info, tried to buy that tv..what an idiot.. :-$

Same happened to me. A store called and asked if we would be home to accept delivery of our new plasma tv, I said that I hadn't purchased one. They said they were calling the cops, found out later, when I renewed my local newspaper prescription the clown that took my info, tried to buy that tv..what an idiot..:-$

I made a large purchase with my own card once and the credit card company called me to confirm the purchase while I was standing at the register. I was very impressed.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I made a large purchase with my own card once and the credit card company called me to confirm the purchase while I was standing at the register. I was very impressed.

I was putting some miles on the vehicle one day and made 4 big purchases in 4 different cities across two states.  All legal and legit, of course! :smartass: Racked up the miles that day.  I'm driving down the road in heavy traffic and did not bother to answer a call.  Not too long after my phone is going bonkers with voicemails and text messages.  I pull over to see what all the commotion is about and find out it's my credit card company suspicious of the purchases due to the amounts and distances from one another.  They must have seen that they were in store purchases.  We went line by line down the list and they got settled down.  It took me awhile to settle down when the bill finally arrived. :-D

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I think those are handled differently because it's the bank calling you to report suspicious activity. When you face a situation like allenby, where you call and say hey, my card was stolen and that $20k charge wasn't me, I think they make you file a police report. At least that's what happened to a family member and a friend of mine. My friend's distant relative got his account info and made purchases. His bank made him press charges before refunding him, which he didn't want to do, but didn't really have a choice. Maybe it was just because he knew the person and they wanted to make sure he didn't just let them use it, but I think it's standard when you report a fraudulent charge. Aren't you supposed to do the same if your car is broken into and you file an insurance claim? Geico won't honor a claim without a police report ( https://www.geico.com/claims/claimsprocess/after-theft/) I had to do that a couple months ago when someone smashed my window in the middle of the night. And a couple years ago when my car caught a stray bullet. And a year before that when someone threw a printer threw my back window. And come to think of it, when some jerk stole my Scott Cameron (renters insurance). If the reports are true that someone used allenby's cards, it's likely that he would have been required to file a report anyway. Just saying that taking it on the chin and keeping it to himself might not have been an option if his credit card was stolen.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I'll bet the new "friends" isolated Allenby by taking the caddy somewhere else, like maybe another bar or a strip club.

I told y'all my version was probably pretty close to what happened! :doh:

One thing I learned doing criminal trial work in Hawaii is that you couldn't make up some of the stuff that actually ends up in police reports.  For some reason people do bizarre stuff there.

Allenby's story is definitely bizarre.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I think those are handled differently because it's the bank calling you to report suspicious activity. When you face a situation like allenby, where you call and say hey, my card was stolen and that $20k charge wasn't me, I think they make you file a police report.

At least that's what happened to a family member and a friend of mine. My friend's distant relative got his account info and made purchases. His bank made him press charges before refunding him, which he didn't want to do, but didn't really have a choice. Maybe it was just because he knew the person and they wanted to make sure he didn't just let them use it, but I think it's standard when you report a fraudulent charge.

Aren't you supposed to do the same if your car is broken into and you file an insurance claim? Geico won't honor a claim without a police report ( https://www.geico.com/claims/claimsprocess/after-theft/) I had to do that a couple months ago when someone smashed my window in the middle of the night. And a couple years ago when my car caught a stray bullet. And a year before that when someone threw a printer threw my back window. And come to think of it, when some jerk stole my Scott Cameron (renters insurance).

If the reports are true that someone used allenby's cards, it's likely that he would have been required to file a report anyway. Just saying that taking it on the chin and keeping it to himself might not have been an option if his credit card was stolen.

Holy crap, that is a lot of bad mojo happening in your neck of the woods.

I told y'all my version was probably pretty close to what happened!

One thing I learned doing criminal trial work in Hawaii is that you couldn't make up some of the stuff that actually ends up in police reports.  For some reason people do bizarre stuff there.

Allenby's story is definitely bizarre.

I always had a dream of going to Hawaii for a two week vacation.  I guess it isn't all a paradise and it moves farther down the bucket list.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Honolulu (Oahu) is like any other big city with problems.  I would go to one of the other islands. Much safer, even more beautiful.

That's fine, you can go where you feel more comfortable.. Just don't let allenby's lies influence your decision.. The guy is obviously delusional.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I don't think so. We got a call one afternoon from our cc asking if we just purchased something in some state (don't remember which) across the country. I said nope, and they said yeah we figured, and then cancelled our credit cards AND THOSE CHARGES and sent us new ones a couple of days later.

The thing is, he might need a police report to claim the card was stolen and get that $20,000 reversed.  But $20,000 is a lot less to him than it is to us.  Wouldn't it have been worth eating the 20,000 if by doing so this whole incident never sees he light of day?  It seems that way in retrospect, at least.

When we retired and moved to CO this past summer we sold our house and almost everything we owned (estate type sale) so we had to fully furnish and equip our new apartment.  So in just a few days we have made a LOT of charges and we got a call from the card company erifying that it ws us - they called because of the number and size of the purchases and the fat that they were occurring in places we had never charged before.

If the reports are true that someone used allenby's cards, it's likely that he would have been required to file a report anyway. Just saying that taking it on the chin and keeping it to himself might not have been an option if his credit card was stolen.

Unless part of taking it on the chin was eating those cc losses.  In which case the card is reported as lost, the bad charges end, he pays his bill without contesting the 20,000, and no one is the wiser.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker

Honolulu (Oahu) is like any other big city with problems.  I would go to one of the other islands. Much safer, even more beautiful.

That's fine, you can go where you feel more comfortable.. Just don't let allenby's lies influence your decision.. The guy is obviously delusional.

So true, the worst parts of Honolulu are not nearly as bad as the worst parts of LA, Chicago, NYC, DC, etc.

Archie is right that Honolulu is the worst of all the islands, but that's really because bad things tend to happen with an overabundance of 18-25 year old men and very few women. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think those are handled differently because it's the bank calling you to report suspicious activity. When you face a situation like allenby, where you call and say hey, my card was stolen and that $20k charge wasn't me, I think they make you file a police report.

The thing is, he might need a police report to claim the card was stolen and get that $20,000 reversed.  But $20,000 is a lot less to him than it is to us.  Wouldn't it have been worth eating the 20,000 if by doing so this whole incident never sees he light of day?  It seems that way in retrospect, at least.

Yeah, you guys are probably right.  Not so much because of who's reporting it, but more likely because of the amounts.  When they see that my card is used for $50 dollars in North Carolina while at the same time it's being used at Legoland (where I was) it's probably not worth them going through the rigamarole, but when I call them and tell them that my card was stolen right after I bought a 5k TV in my hometown, it would make sense for them to require a little more information.

Archie is right that Honolulu is the worst of all the islands,

I would agree ... except for the fact that Honolulu is not an island. :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsc123

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

Yeah, you guys are probably right.  Not so much because of who's reporting it, but more likely because of the amounts.  When they see that my card is used for $50 dollars in North Carolina while at the same time it's being used at Legoland (where I was) it's probably not worth them going through the rigamarole, but when I call them and tell them that my card was stolen right after I bought a 5k TV in my hometown, it would make sense for them to require a little more information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Archie is right that Honolulu is the worst of all the islands,

I would agree ... except for the fact that Honolulu is not an island.

Right. :doh:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I didn't need a police report to dispute charges when my cards were stolen. As a merchant I know quite a bit about credit cards. You can reverse a legit charge if the merchant doesn't have a signed receipt or record of on-line authorization for charges. We actually had credit cards and checks stolen a few years ago. The bank closed the accounts as soon as we called. A grocery store cashed one check an accomplice of the thief presented as a payroll check. All it took was signing a form the fraud department sent us.

Dave :-)

Fixed it for you. . .

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!