IGNORED

Golf Digest Cover goes risque once again *possibly NSFW*

Crim
Note: This thread is 2925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This 'controversy' is not a controversy to me ....

On the nose!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If their goal is to increase viewer and readership Thats fine. I think there are far more sexier shots of lexi than that one, shes a tall beautiful women, killer smile and caries herself very well.

Furthermore I just wish they would put more effort into their lame "hot list"issue,it was so weak and lack of content this year or last months "masters issue" a whole 4 pages.......

True.

Just watched the 3 hole playoff marathon between Lincicome and Lewis. Short game ... Putting....

One of them is crushed.

That was tough to watch but exciting. They needed to putt more aggressively. I felt bad for Lewis. I like her and want her to be #1 in the world.

Revenue from advertising is principal source. Subscription revenue is a 'bonus'.

They can charge more for advertising if they sell more subscriptions.

They can charge more for advertising if they sell more subscriptions.

True, but the purpose of magazines is to sell advertising. Articles are edited so the ads fit. The ads are laid out first.

Even with most commercial TV shows, they are essentially a framework in which to place advertising.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• 1 month later...
Well the marketing manager at GD deserves a raise, that's for sure. Right, the magazine need to sell magazines, that is their no 1 priority. I'm guessing their target audience is males (sex sells + good golfer + long drive = jackpot) seeing as it's a golf magazine and probably a 80/20 split M/F sport. It's not LPGA monthly. She wanted to do it, got paid well for it, is proud of her body and it's a fitness issue! She is obviously very fit, and has a physique what 90% of women would want. Which would lead me to believe that women wouldn't particularly look at the cover as a bad thing either, mine certainly didn't. Dresses show off more skin than that, as does any bikini, swimsuit etc etc, like on any "women's"/ Fashion mag. The LPGA should LIKE it, as it's going to get people talking (like here), which raises awareness of the LPGA and will get more people playing the sport. A lot of people on here are just like the typical old guy at the golf club that just won't get with the times and is so stubborn it's ridiculous. The sport has moved on, people have moved on, deal with it. People stuck in their ways and not willing to accept change is the no 1 thing I hate about golf.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

You mistaking my comment as meaning that I object. I asked a question about the LPGA.  I participated in a thread concerning LPGA playing Augusta National and made a comment about LPGA promoting attractive golfers and was jumped all over as a sexist and reminded that LPGA pros were athletes and not be be viewed as sex objects.

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Lydia Ko's reaction is probably closer to the majority opinion than whatever sensationalist views are trying to spark controversy.

P.S.  I was confused as to the NSFW tag until I realized that it referred to last years cover of Lexi Thompson. ;-)

Again, people making a big stink about nothing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I bought a subscription a couple years ago when a niece was raising money for a field trip. During that time, they quietly announced that they were going to increase their focus on "lifestyle" with, of course, a decrease in golf-specific content.

So this cover comes as no surprise. Superficially, that is one ugly outfit.  Golf-specifically, they had a lot more successful golfers they could have chosen from.

If the issue is about the future does including her mean that the future is full of mediocrity?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

14 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Paige is much prettier than they made her out to be....

It's the "future" article ... you have to ask yourself the same question in 2116 years to do a fair comparison. :-P

7 minutes ago, ppine said:

I see more "risque" visuals than that at the grocery store.  Only a sport like golf would even notice.

I'd clarify that to say only maladroit idiots with an insidious agenda would even notice.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

She's a pretty girl on the cover of a golf magazine, who cares?  The ladies of the LPGA tour wear much more risque outfits playing golf than what Paige is wearing on the cover.   

These days people seem to be outrages just for the sake of being outraged.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!