IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Personally I'm struggling to like Chambers Bay. It seems gimmicky to me in much the same way that Whistling Straights does.  The fact that fans can't access entire holes, though, makes it a pretty bad choice for the US Open, in my opinion.  I also don't feel like the US Open should be played on a links style course.  It's not like it's the worst thing in the world . . but the Open Championship is right around the corner and they have far better links courses than we do.

Regardless of the venue, the US Open is my favorite of the majors and this year will be awesome.  I was really hoping Tiger would make a good show of it.  Typically I will route for him but if he's not in contention then I mostly just "watch with interest" to see who wins.  I'd like to see Stenson, McIlroy or Phil win it over DJ . . . something about that guy has always bugged me just a little, lol.

Yeah not a fan of this course. I like tree lined holes, and thick nasty rough.

This course, from a TV viewers perspective, looks like a goat track.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Personally I'm struggling to like Chambers Bay. It seems gimmicky to me in much the same way that Whistling Straights does.

Gimmicky to me is TPC Sawgrass. Chambers Bay doesn't seem gimmicky at all.

The fact that fans can't access entire holes, though, makes it a pretty bad choice for the US Open, in my opinion.  I also don't feel like the US Open should be played on a links style course.  It's not like it's the worst thing in the world . . but the Open Championship is right around the corner and they have far better links courses than we do.

I do agree the rugged terrain making it difficult for fans to gain access to a lot of the holes is not good.

Yeah not a fan of this course. I like tree lined holes, and thick nasty rough.

Tree-lined courses are over-rated in my opinion. Some of my favorite golf courses have a spattering of trees. Tight fairways, I would call bowling alley golf is just boring.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's the worst list I've ever seen.

I'm kind of curious, as I feel like the lines of a Links style course in the US are blurred.  What would make the Ocean Course at Kiawah not a links-style course?  I was there for the PGA and it sure felt like one...I guess it would be the greener grass and shots not running out as much?

I would like to see Phil win this one for his elusive US Open trophy. Other than Phil, I would like to see DJ finally break through in the majors. As for Tiger, I think he's hopelessly lost. He needs to play every tournament to get his game back-if that's even possible at this point.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I miss you Merion

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

I'm kind of curious, as I feel like the lines of a Links style course in the US are blurred.  What would make the Ocean Course at Kiawah not a links-style course?  I was there for the PGA and it sure felt like one...I guess it would be the greener grass and shots not running out as much?

The Wiki article claims these are Links courses, not Links style. But the definition of a true links course is one that is built on a sand base, on dunes land. All of the tur British links courses are laid out over the land that existed. The Ocean Course is completely manufactured and is more of a lowlands course than a links course. You can bump and run approach shots onto greens at a links course. You cannot do this at CB as the greens are elevated. Also, think of native gorse and pot bunkers. The original bunkers at St. Andrews were created by the animals that lived there to protect them from the cold and wind.

What happened to the sites chat capabilities?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

The announcers on the internet was looking at Spieth's missed short putt. They were saying how it was bump and it hopped. The ball didn't leave the ground. It followed the break just fine.

The problem was the pin was in a position where you probably have a 2%-2.5% slope on a 4 foot putt. Spieth started it left edge when it probably needed to be about 2-3 inches outside the cup. It was purely a miss-read the putt. The ball didn't budge off it's line.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yeah visually and golf wise, I prefer the look of a course like Merion.

This just doesn't say US Open to me.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I'm sold on Fox's telecast. Like the scoreboard always on, the graphics with protracer and hole being highlighted.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

The guys this morning need to make some hay...and the guys in the afternoon need to hold on.....I think the people that put a good confident roll on the ball will be fine, its pretty obvious that the greens are rolling good if you get the ball rolling.  If your trying to just baby the ball then its gonna wiggle as it dies a bit.  It was the best scoring first round in many years...so its pretty hard to argue that it wasn't very playable.

I do agree that from a spectator standpoint its a tougher course.

Maybe I'm just bias being a northwest guy, And it is usually a little a little greener, but its been a dry month or two by northwest standards.  And really USGA has been in control of course prep for the last month  so they have made decisions on how they want it I guess....

The announcers on the internet was looking at Spieth's missed short putt. They were saying how it was bump and it hopped. The ball didn't leave the ground. It followed the break just fine.

The problem was the pin was in a position where you probably have a 2%-2.5% slope on a 4 foot putt. Spieth started it left edge when it probably needed to be about 2-3 inches outside the cup. It was purely a miss-read the putt. The ball didn't budge off it's line.

I just watched the same thing.  I don't have the volume on...but that put rolled very true, he just missed it........

Hole #12 is playing more like a par 3 than a par 4.  They are all trying to drive the green, right? So far today:

1 eagle (2)

15 birdies (3)

8 pars (4)

2 bogeys (5)

for and average of 3.4.

Unfortunately, that's Tiger's only birdie today, so he's not exactly gaining on the field with that one.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I just watched the same thing.  I don't have the volume on...but that put rolled very true, he just missed it........

pretty amazing people see such different things from the exact same video, IMHO - it hopped almost immediately

(that's the rub though)

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!