IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (May 2015)

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 3254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Swing fan.Β  Working on keeping the lag in my wrists and releasing at the bottom.Β  Then about 20 minutes of swing work.Β  First, backswing alone.Β  Shoulder over instep.Β  Start of downswing, dropping into slot keeping wrist cock.Β  Release at bottom, soft arms.Β  Follow through with full pronation.Β  Then full swings with all the pieces,

Taylormade SLDR S Driver, 3w, 3h, 4h, 5h, 6h
Taylormade RSI 2 7i, 8i, 9i
Cleveland 46w, 52w, 56w, 60w
Acer CB2 putter
Ogio Chamber cart bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got busy today so had to do my practice at home. More mapping/deliberate swing work.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Been slacking with my posts, but I got an hour at the range today with a camera and posted to Evolvr. It's been about 6 months since I turned the camera on and after the results, I've determined that I won;t go back to the range until I have specific things to work on. Can;t wait for the analysis and the quest for improvement afterward.

20 Mins, outdoor, no ball. Went back to working on setup, stance and posture.

Chris.:roll:

Worked with the 7 iron for a few slow swings. Was late at night so didn't post last night.

Vishal S.

May 8, (8 in a row)

15-20 Minutes this morning chipping to a box-

Really just working on feel rather than fixing something.

also working on some slow swings this morning

JP

In the bag:Β  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!Β  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Getting ready to head down to The City but beforehand, I practiced the same drill as yesterday, slow, specific laying down of the club shaft when I get to the top, pausing at A6 while making sure I have my weight forward and head still, and continuing through to A9.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

I'm in a Golfzing thing called "players club" that for $40 per month give you free range balls every day. So I'm doing a lot more than 5 mins. Actually hitting every club a few times than end focusing on long irons and driver which are problem areas.

Now that the days are getting longer I'm able to do all this after work. Need to think ahead to the fall. Ideally I'd have some kind of indoor net setup.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator
Swing fan.Β  Working on keeping the lag in my wrists and releasing at the bottom.Β  Then about 20 minutes of swing work.Β  First, backswing alone.Β  Shoulder over instep.Β  Start of downswing, dropping into slot keeping wrist cock.Β  Release at bottom, soft arms.Β  Follow through with full pronation.Β  Then full swings with all the pieces,

Just an opinion, as you've said similar things a few times, but very few people in my experience "actively" "release" anything in the golf swing. I have a saying that "lag happens" but so does the "release" as well. I'd stop using the Swing fan. They are more likely, IMO, to train bad habits than good ones.

I spent six minutes listening to a podcast and taking a break from cleaning to do some work in the hallway. I'm going to practice a bit before I play at 1:30. @cipher may get his 78 today as I may practice on the course as well. Never a good thing if you care about the score…

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Range work on flatter left wrist. Kept checking the video after every few shots for analysis. I could tell from the sound of the connection alone when the left wrist was nearer the right place.........and when my 7 iron is flying high and far......well about 150!

Matt

Some video work today.

Same things I have been working on. Β I see I still need more work on the centered hip turn.

I will keep plugging away.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for replying to my post.Β  Read your book and love it, great points all around.Β  Love the use of bounce on the pitch shot technique, I have used it and it works great.

The swing fan was at the direction of my instructor.Β  It seems to put me in the positions on the downswing and on the follow through that he is after.Β  This is being monitored on video in my weekly lesson.

What I mean by saying that I am working on "active release" is really a decrease in tension in the arms and wrists.Β  On video, when I have too much tension I start to release the wrists too soon and therefore lag is decreased.Β  So when I concentrate on keeping my arms devoid of tension, the lag then "happens".Β  I also practice a hip to hip swing where I again relax and let the club release freely at the bottom.Β  This is all at the direction of my instructor.Β  Sorry if I did not describe it correctly, but much thanks for your concern.

Acer CB2 putter
Ogio Chamber cart bag

Spent 10 minutes working on my pitching technique with a whiffle ball in my bedroom. It's a rainy morning in SoCal, so that may be all I get to do today....

Stuck at home ... its putting on my green ... working on my line and my distance.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for replying to my post.Β  Read your book and love it, great points all around.Β  Love the use of bounce on the pitch shot technique, I have used it and it works great.

The swing fan was at the direction of my instructor.Β  It seems to put me in the positions on the downswing and on the follow through that he is after.Β  This is being monitored on video in my weekly lesson.

What I mean by saying that I am working on "active release" is really a decrease in tension in the arms and wrists.Β  On video, when I have too much tension I start to release the wrists too soon and therefore lag is decreased.Β  So when I concentrate on keeping my arms devoid of tension, the lag then "happens".Β  I also practice a hip to hip swing where I again relax and let the club release freely at the bottom.Β  This is all at the direction of my instructor.Β  Sorry if I did not describe it correctly, but much thanks for your concern.

Seems like you know what you are doing so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. Just my experience with Swing fan 7-8 years ago: It gives you a completely different 'loaded' feel compared to an actual golf club. In effect it trains a different release profile if you do it long enough. Using it for positions learning ok for 'casters', but once you understand I would caution against using it too long. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

Vishal S.

Thanks.Β  It was recommended by my instructor to deal with a few specific motions and positions.Β  I take lessons every week and my swing is reviewed on a large video monitor both down the line and at 90 degrees to the line.Β  Then it is evaluated by my instructor using stop action, slow speed, etc.Β  I trust him as he has been teaching the local high school players for 40 years and was Jason Gore's coach (PGA Tour player a few years back from my area, Valencia CA).Β  So far using the fan has increased the lag by maintaining my wrist angle at the arm parallel to the ground. ( I know Eric has a position number for this, just don't know what it is.Β  Jim McClean has one also, 3 or 4 I think.)Β  But thanks for the warning.Β  I only use it for a dozen or so swings each session, immediately followed by a much longer session with a club.Β  I know what you mean by the different feel, especially loading.Β  But after I use it, the real club feels light and I seem to relax my grip and let my arms fall into the slot easier.Β  The partial casting (it wasn't too bad, but my wrist angle could be better) is getting slowly eliminated.Β  I have a degree in kinesiology, so I know how the body works.

I really appreciate how great the group here is and how everyone looks out for each other.Β  It is much easier just to read a post and move on to the next one, it takes much more effort to post and offer advice.Β  Please keep it up!

Acer CB2 putter
Ogio Chamber cart bag

Note:Β This thread is 3254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!