IGNORED

Which balls have you used and not liked?

9wood
Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree. I bought these at Dick's last spring for about $.70 a ball. For the first two months of the season I thought I had developed a muscular condition during the off-season that was limiting my power and distance. My drives were landing 20-30 yards shorter than usual. Finally switched to some Titleist NXT Tours and got my distance back immediately. I won't even pick up a Slazenger when I find one.

It was a bit funny to read this. I found a box of Slazengers in my messy trunk the other day and played them yesterday.

Durability on these things does suck. I saw bits of plastics coming off the ball by the end of the round. I knew this already. The funny thing was the distance. I was short on everything. Oddly, I was very straight and actually shot a very good score for my standards. It's still a bit tough when you hit like a granny anyway to see your 220-yard poke become a 200-yarder.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cheap balls feel like crap and don't spin enough on half swing wedge shots for me. Premium balls crack and wear out too quickly because of the soft cover. For me it's a constant balance of those two factors, trying to find one that comfortably fits in the middle. I like Pro V1s but they're dead after a couple holes. I've had good experiences with some cheaper balls as well, and on the days I don't want to spend $4/ball I pick up Callaway Hex Warbirds. Great budget balls. Planning on trying a dozen E6s, will let you know how I like them.
  • Upvote 1

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Don't use cheap dunlops, they're like playing with a stone and don't change ball every round.

I'm using Bridgestone e7's at the minute (buy 100 a-grade lake balls at a time) but as my game has changed they're quickly becoming detrimental.

I'm going to swap it out for a softer ball that will hold better with wedges and irons, I'm not fussed about the distance loss as I've gained a lot of yards over the last couple of month anyway.

What would people suggest? Needs to be a common ball suitable for driver SS of 103 (and climbing) and with decent spin on greens. Prone to losing a couple so nothing too pricey.

I'm thinking:

Bridgestone E5

Bridgestone B330/S

Titleist NXT Tour S

Callaway HEX Black

Callaway HEX Diablo Tour

Taylor Made Tour prefferred

• Upvote 1

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Cheap balls feel like crap and don't spin enough on half swing wedge shots for me. Premium balls crack and wear out too quickly because of the soft cover. For me it's a constant balance of those two factors, trying to find one that comfortably fits in the middle.

I like Pro V1s but they're dead after a couple holes. I've had good experiences with some cheaper balls as well, and on the days I don't want to spend $4/ball I pick up Callaway Hex Warbirds. Great budget balls. Planning on trying a dozen E6s, will let you know how I like them.

Pro V1s go dead after just 2 holes ? Wow, must be a 16 Handicap thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by danL

Cheap balls feel like crap and don't spin enough on half swing wedge shots for me. Premium balls crack and wear out too quickly because of the soft cover. For me it's a constant balance of those two factors, trying to find one that comfortably fits in the middle.

I like Pro V1s but they're dead after a couple holes. I've had good experiences with some cheaper balls as well, and on the days I don't want to spend $4/ball I pick up Callaway Hex Warbirds. Great budget balls. Planning on trying a dozen E6s, will let you know how I like them.

Pro V1s go dead after just 2 holes ? Wow, must be a 16 Handicap thing?

No, it isn't.   Don't bring the bogey golfers into this. :-( It must be the way @danL hits his ba ll or maybe he ended up with fake Pro V1s.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Good question.  I've often wondered that myself.

I believe that Titleist knows that the Prov1 or Prov1X is the not the best ball for everyone, in fact a tour ball is best suited for low handicappers and tour players who can work the ball and take advantage of the balls spin characteristics.  For about 90% of golfers a tour ball is a detriment which Titleist also knows so they have a full complement of balls for the amateurs.  Like some of you have expressed, Titleist's clam that the Prov1 and X will "perform' for everyone actually means that it will spin for everyone, which is disingenuous.  Titleist has the brand and capitalizes on it with the NXT Tour being a good example - it's a good ball but overpriced compared to an e6 or Gamer.  For the record I have Titleist irons and am looking closely at the Vokey wedge, so they make some great equipment, including what I think is the best golf glove.  I just wish they would stop the misleading (at least) marketing that the ProV will perform for golfers at all levels.

No, it isn't.   Don't bring the bogey golfers into this.  :-(     It must be the way @danL hits his ball or maybe he ended up with fake Pro V1s.

Nope, used to buy them off lost golf balls, started buying them new at Golf Galaxy. Could be I'm hitting them wrong, don't know, but how could any incorrect hit impart as much energy as a tour swing? Doesn't seem logical, but I'll leave that to the 9.7HI experts. ;) But I do know that the cover ends up coming in spots off after a hole or two and the cracks appear after the next hole or two. If it even touches a cart path forget about it, instant trash ball. Don't know how this experience shocks anyone, most people at my home course have the same experience and now play E6s, which is what made me consider them. It's okay, though, I'm not one to get easily offended on the Internet because I know lots of guys come to a forum so they can be the one in the know and not just have to say "yes sir" to their boss all day. I feel for him, I used to have a boss too! LOL

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Nope, used to buy them off lost golf balls, started buying them new at Golf Galaxy. Could be I'm hitting them wrong, don't know, but how could any incorrect hit impart as much energy as a tour swing? Doesn't seem logical, but I'll leave that to the 9.7HI experts. ;) But I do know that the cover ends up coming in spots off after a hole or two and the cracks appear after the next hole or two. If it even touches a cart path forget about it, instant trash ball. Don't know how this experience shocks anyone, most people at my home course have the same experience and now play E6s, which is what made me consider them. It's okay, though, I'm not one to get easily offended on the Internet because I know lots of guys come to a forum so they can be the one in the know and not just have to say "yes sir" to their boss all day. I feel for him, I used to have a boss too! LOL

Huh I wonder why this is happening to you. I've never heard of this with pro v1 and I have a buddy who will only play them. I personally don't like them as much as the pro V1X. I just picked up 5 dozen Snell my tour balls which I absolutely love. If you order 5 dozen before the 4th they cost around $27 per which is a phenomenal price for such a good ball.

Nope, used to buy them off lost golf balls, started buying them new at Golf Galaxy. Could be I'm hitting them wrong, don't know, but how could any incorrect hit impart as much energy as a tour swing? Doesn't seem logical, but I'll leave that to the 9.7HI experts. ;)

But I do know that the cover ends up coming in spots off after a hole or two and the cracks appear after the next hole or two. If it even touches a cart path forget about it, instant trash ball. Don't know how this experience shocks anyone, most people at my home course have the same experience and now play E6s, which is what made me consider them.

It's okay, though, I'm not one to get easily offended on the Internet because I know lots of guys come to a forum so they can be the one in the know and not just have to say "yes sir" to their boss all day. I feel for him, I used to have a boss too! LOL

Do you really think most people that work hard for a living, would spend the money on Pro V1's if they only lasted 2 holes?  Hmm, I guess I would have to leave that to the 16 HI experts. My boss would not allow me to call him sir as we are friends away form work as well ;)

About a month ago, I was in the Pro Shop getting ready to go out for a round. I stopped and was checking out the golf action on the tv for an instant. Two guys walked in and payed for their round and asked the Club Pro about needing some balls. He was kind of feeling them out on what type of players and game they had. I never seen them before so I was assuming that he did not know them either. The Pro was telling them about some of the lower to mid tier balls on the rack either in sleeves or by the dozen. The younger guy immediately focused in on the ProV1's on the top shelf. I remember the Club Pro saying, "That's a lot of ball, are you sure?" As I was coming down to the number 2 hole, I heard two ProV1's bounching off the trees adjoining the two holes. They were doing a ton of searching in the higher grass. I tee'd off from number 3 and they were over by the number 10 fairway doing another search. When I was on the green at number 4, they still were doing a search on the small ravine/runoff area to the right of number 1 green. Quite a few trees to go through between those fairways when you can't go over them. When I was coming down number 9 fairway, they were in the tall grass on the hill leading down to number 4's par 3. So they either sliced from number 4 or number 5, either way the grass is really tall and you pretty much have to step on the damn thing to find it. I'm glad I did not do my usual of letting the cart guys go ahead while I walked. There is no way in hell that dozen of ProV1's lasted 18 holes at the rate they were going. That is why I find more of them on the course than any other ball. It's not because the good players loose them that much, it has to do with marketing and people playing with "too much ball". The Pinnacles in the bowl by the door would have suited them just fine and they come with the course logo on them to boot. One thing I do notice with ProV1's is they seem to be an off white color when found. I don't know if it because they have been laying in wait for some time in the grass for a passerby or it just the nature of the beast with its makeup. It could also be reloaded/refurbished ones that have made their journey through life. They look the same as all the other balls when new and with all the ball hawks out there, I can't believe they have been there too long.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I like mid-spin balls: TopFlite Gamer, Callaway Supersoft, and the slightly pricier TM Project(a) and Bridgestone B330-RX as examples.

High-spin such as ProV1 cost a lot, and I tend to spin them left and right (hook and slice) on drives and FWs - I'm not always the best ball-striker. Also, I play chip and run more than most people, so they sometimes check up too soon when I'm trying to run a ball onto the green.

Distance balls are good for distance, but I don't have very good luck trying to stop them inside 20 yards.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

One thing I do notice with ProV1's is they seem to be an off white color when found. I don't know if it because they have been laying in wait for some time in the grass for a passerby or it just the nature of the beast with its makeup. It could also be reloaded/refurbished ones that have made their journey through life. They look the same as all the other balls when new and with all the ball hawks out there, I can't believe they have been there too long.

Now that you mention that, I have to agree. Playing the sort of courses I do, there aren't many big spenders hitting ProV1's. When you do find them them, they are usually grayish.

Now that you mention that, I have to agree. Playing the sort of courses I do, there aren't many big spenders hitting ProV1's. When you do find them them, they are usually grayish.

Just had this discussion last week with our used golf ball shop who resells who I pick Up practice & shag balls from. Depends on the cover material. Two piece balls generally hold their color unless wet for long period but the better balls with good skin discolor faster from exposure. Many one side up. He cleans/refurb's them and sells them to us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

No, it isn't.   Don't bring the bogey golfers into this.      It must be the way @danL hits his ball or maybe he ended up with fake Pro V1s.

Nope, used to buy them off lost golf balls, started buying them new at Golf Galaxy. Could be I'm hitting them wrong, don't know, but how could any incorrect hit impart as much energy as a tour swing? Doesn't seem logical, but I'll leave that to the 9.7HI experts. ;)

But I do know that the cover ends up coming in spots off after a hole or two and the cracks appear after the next hole or two. If it even touches a cart path forget about it, instant trash ball. Don't know how this experience shocks anyone, most people at my home course have the same experience and now play E6s, which is what made me consider them.

It's okay, though, I'm not one to get easily offended on the Internet because I know lots of guys come to a forum so they can be the one in the know and not just have to say "yes sir" to their boss all day. I feel for him, I used to have a boss too! LOL

I was excited to get some Pro-V1s in my "onion bag" from Golfsmith, but that turned into expected disappointment when the covers started to delaminate. So, you're not the only one.

However, the $50 bucket Pro-V1s seem to last at least a couple rounds. I lost the only one that I remember was used for more than two rounds from that bucket the other day by hitting too far into the water with a 3W, but it still hit great after that many shots.

Watch out for the "332" or "392" type balls because they are getting a little bit too old (over a decade??).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've had the same experience with recycled Penta 3 balls. Feel awesome but tend to get cracked easily. I dunno why, but it's true.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've used Callaway "Hex 56 Tour" or something like that (no longer available, except in the woods).

Hated it.  Felt way to "clicky" coming off the driver and the putter.

I also tried Taylormade Project(a), Tour Preferred an Tour Preferred x - all have very good distance and feel.

It feels just as good as Pro V1x that I usually like to play.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I got a dozen of those callaway "warbird" balls for a closest to the pin at some tournament a few years back, what a joke went straight to the range and chipped them out there, couldn't imagine trying to play a round with those things.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I could only imagine the complaints if balata was still around. According to this article you should be able to get at least 7 rounds out of 1 ball.

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/long-can-play-golf-ball-1443.html

When to Change Balls

Balls are likely to be lost or damaged before they wear out. According to Golf Digest, unless there is visible damage to the cover, the average golf ball should last at least seven full 18-hole rounds without any degradation in performance. A little lost paint or other marks that leave the contours of the cover intact are acceptable, but once there is a scuff on the cover that feels rough to the touch it is time to take the ball out of play.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!