IGNORED

Which balls have you used and not liked?

9wood
Note: This thread is 3135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Because there already exists a thread for balls that various people prefer. Secondly, by getting the thoughts of individuals on which brand of balls they tried and don't like, we can at the same time get an idea of which balls are preferred when they don't make the list of disliked balls.

Okay, don't like rocks and do not care for soft feel balls that do not spin on the greens.

In the major brands, balls change so frequently that I do not want to comments on balls I disliked several years ago, as they have changed.  Let's says the Bridgestone e5, e6, e7, RX and RXS were not high on my list several years ago - the e series felt too hard, and the RXS was short, and the RX lacked greenside spin -- I understand the RX balls have changed for the better, and the e5 is now a better ball.

For the last several years, I've only played urethane balls, but will play soft core balls when it is damp. Otherwise, I do not enjoy them.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is such a dated myth.    Of course, the old Rock Flites were awful - like hitting a solid ceramic sphere.    The new Top Flites are as good as anything else in their low to mid price range.    You may not like them, and that's ok .. but to call the modern version rocks, is just incorrect.

I've found their D2 (dimple in dimple) $14 for 15 ball pack is a surprisingly decent ball.

Perhaps so.  I have not played with one in a long time.  When I find them I turn them in to the Pro Shop for kids to use.

Butch

Top-Flight.  Might as well play with a spherical rock.

Agree with you on this one!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This thread makes me want to play Top Flites just to beat guys who think the current version are rocks...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

This thread makes me want to play Top Flites just to beat guys who think the current version are rocks...

I bought two dozen ($35) of the Top Flite Gamer Tour balls.  I have no complaints at all with them.   I played the same ball for a couple of rounds and the only mark on it was from a tree.  It even bounced back into play.  Now what is there not to like about that. :dance: I still have 7 sleeves of them and have some reward money to use up so it will probably be either them or the Maxfli u4.  Use it or lose it.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I played a Top Flite D2 and/or Gamer years ago and thought they were fine if you played on receptive (wet) greens (not a urethane cover).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I didn't like any of the Srixon Z-star's or Volvik.

My golf ball of choice right now is Titleist Pro-V1x, Bridgestone B330, or Snell My Tour Ball

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I need as soft of a cover as possible. I hit a low ball with draw. I need all the biting power on the greens I can get. Anything with a sirloin or other hard cover.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I need as soft of a cover as possible. I hit a low ball with draw. I need all the biting power on the greens I can get. Anything with a sirloin or other hard cover.

Balls with some meat on them will get the job done.

• Upvote 1

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I use mostly the high end balls when I can get a deal on them, like $30 a dozen. Tried a dozen of the Callaway high end ball last year, HX Tour IIRC, and hated them. I think I lost 20 yards off the tee and they didn't seem to spin much on the greens. Waste of $30 there.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I no longer play any high compression ball. They don't feel right when I putt with them.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Based on the claim of "rocks" for Top-Flite and Maxfli, it appears that some of you have never tried the Gamer Series (Soft, Tour, or Regular) or the Maxfli Softfli, U/3, or U/4, or U/6LC.  Most major OEMs make a variety of balls so it is not very precise to speak in general about a brand.  Titleist makes the Prov1 and the Velocity, Top-Flite make the Gamer Soft and the Bomb and everything in between to capture as much of the ball market as possible - its a business.  I dislike the Prov1 but like the NXT Tour, so I would not say that I dislike Titleist.

Based on the claim of "rocks" for Top-Flite and Maxfli, it appears that some of you have never tried the Gamer Series (Soft, Tour, or Regular) or the Maxfli Softfli, U/3, or U/4, or U/6LC.  Most major OEMs make a variety of balls so it is not very precise to speak in general about a brand.  Titleist makes the Prov1 and the Velocity, Top-Flite make the Gamer Soft and the Bomb and everything in between to capture as much of the ball market as possible - its a business.  I dislike the Prov1 but like the NXT Tour, so I would not say that I dislike Titleist.

I think Top Flight made a serious brand error when they released those low cost rocks a few years back. I think they are going to have to live them down for some time to come, maybe by making better than average balls for their price range. IDK, I just hate the logo now.

I think Top Flight made a serious brand error when they released those low cost rocks a few years back. I think they are going to have to live them down for some time to come, maybe by making better than average balls for their price range. IDK, I just hate the logo now.

I believe Callaway sold Top-Flite to Dicks Sporting goods in 2012 which could explain why golfers liked the older Top-Flite balls but no longer do.

Joe Paradiso

I get the hate for the older top flite balls, but the Gamer is a damn good ball for $20 or 2 for $30.  Solid durability and decent spin/feel.  Really good for an early/late season and water hole ball that you don't mind losing because of the cost but still plays pretty well.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Most of us remember the old "Rock Flite" balls of the 60's and 70's, but Spalding did move Top-Flite into the professional arena with their entries like the Z-Balata and Strata which had tour wins.  After the sale to Callaway, I suspect that much of the high end technology was absorbed into the Callaway line keeping Top-Flite as the 2 piece distance line with the exception of the original Gamer and the V2.  To Dicks credit they have added the Gamer Tour and Soft which are excellent quality balls aimed at the amateur market.  They still make the 2 piece distance balls and now have the "Bomb" which adds to the image that this is the only type of ball they make. They may be better off making the Gamer a separate line of balls like Spalding did with Strata, but I recently tried to buy two dozen Gamer Softs at my local Dicks and they were sold out, so for Dicks it may be mission accomplished.

Ditto on the Nike 20XI model. It was like hitting a rock, but only harder and alot less accurate.

Ok maybe accuracy was my fault.

But I can not stand any NIKE Ball. The Platinum One and Black were horrific.

For the record if I find a pinnacle I just throw it back into the woods where it belongs

• Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I didn't like any of the Srixon Z-star's or Volvik.

My golf ball of choice right now is Titleist Pro-V1x, Bridgestone B330, or Snell My Tour Ball

I play the Z-stars and don't mind them actually. I prefer them over a lot of the high-end soft balls becaues they stay pretty straight off the tee but at the same timme are able to 'grab and release' on the green.

B330's I like for the same reason.

Not a big fan of the new Callaway chromes though

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Note: This thread is 3135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!