Jump to content
IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread


Note: This thread is 1751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not really sure what your big hangup with this is.  The Ryder Cup is a team event (and an exhibition with no money on the line mind you).  Do you not cheer when your favorite football/soccer team'

On another note, when is the PGA going to wake up to picking US venues that may favor the American squad a little more from a weather standpoint? Basically the entire team lives in South Florida and v

Patrick Reed can say this much for sure without sounding arrogant in the slightest bit - this was the top 5 greatest performance in the history of RC.. Anything one can say about him taking down

Posted Images

2 hours ago, onkey said:

We obviously saw this differently.  I think Chamblee came off looking like the fool.  Chamblee was laying all the blame on Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, Duval was saying that it came down to the play of all--including himself.  Duvall was also explaining that matches can come down to something as unexpected as holing out from 30 yards from heavy rough. 

I'm with Chamblee on this.  Duval was defensive because Chamblee was essentially saying that the team leaders through the late 90s and early oughts were apathetic about the Ryder Cup.  Duval was chief among them, he griped about not being paid.  

I think Phil and Tiger have changed their tune now, owing probably to the fact that the US has been dominated recently but also I think the young guns attitudes about it, Spieth, Reed, Fowler, has created more enthusiasm in them as well.  

But I believe that back in the day, the Ryder Cup really didn't inspire them very much and it showed in their results.  I think BC nailed it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I'm with Chamblee on this.  Duval was defensive because Chamblee was essentially saying that the team leaders through the late 90s and early oughts were apathetic about the Ryder Cup.  Duval was chief among them, he griped about not being paid.  

I think Phil and Tiger have changed their tune now, owing probably to the fact that the US has been dominated recently but also I think the young guns attitudes about it, Spieth, Reed, Fowler, has created more enthusiasm in them as well.  

But I believe that back in the day, the Ryder Cup really didn't inspire them very much and it showed in their results.  I think BC nailed it.

These guys haven't gotten to where they are without being ultra-competitive.  I don't think the lack of money had any real effect on their desire to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with Chamblee for the most part- the apathy towards the event from the US squad over the last two decades seemed to  emanate from Phil and Tiger and spread down from them. The failed teams needed passion and leadership from them and they just never quite got it IMO. That's not to say that plenty of others aren't to 'blame' as well.

That said, it's great to see Tiger and Phil seemingly 100% invested and excited about the event now. Better late than never and I think their engagement this time as well as the enthusiasm that the younger guys (Spieth, Reed, Fowler, etc.) have for the event is going to generate some positive results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Duval on this.  It's golf, not football.  It's not like the intensity matters to hitting good golf shots (and, in fact, one could argue that it could be a detriment).  These guys are professionals, they don't need "leadership" or "motivation" ... they need to play well and make putts.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On another note, when is the PGA going to wake up to picking US venues that may favor the American squad a little more from a weather standpoint? Basically the entire team lives in South Florida and very rarely play in cool temps and yet the PGA seems hell bent on putting the Ryder Cup in the Northern edges of the country in October- Chicago, Minnesota, Wisconsin (2020). Fortunately the forecast is looking decent this weekend but the morning rounds will still be played with temps in the 50s- IMO this favors the Euros who play in that kind of weather more routinely.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

I agree with the below.

4 hours ago, onkey said:

We obviously saw this differently.  I think Chamblee came off looking like the fool.  Chamblee was laying all the blame on Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, Duval was saying that it came down to the play of all--including himself.  Duvall was also explaining that matches can come down to something as unexpected as holing out from 30 yards from heavy rough. 

Chamblee came off looking stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm with Duval on this.  It's golf, not football.  It's not like the intensity matters to hitting good golf shots (and, in fact, one could argue that it could be a detriment).  These guys are professionals, they don't need "leadership" or "motivation" ... they need to play well and make putts.

Duval didn't say that. He said they lost because of captains and freak execution by the Euros, and that he understood the feeling in that competition. That's legitimate for small sample size, but not over 20 years. 

I caught it after it started, so I'm not sure what his initial point was about enthusiasm. So, when did it kick in, 1999? Everybody sure did look enthused there.

His point was the leaders of the US team haven't performed to their ability, and that has emanated through the rest of the team. There is no reason people like Ian Poulter should have a better record than TW or PM over this large of sample size.

If pointing records out makes him look foolish, then so be it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Chris E said:

Duval didn't say that. He said they lost because of captains and freak execution by the Euros, and that he understood the feeling in that competition. That's legitimate for small sample size, but not over 20 years. 

I caught it after it started, so I'm not sure what his initial point was about enthusiasm. So, when did it kick in, 1999? Everybody sure did look enthused there.

His point was the leaders of the US team haven't performed to their ability, and that has emanated through the rest of the team. There is no reason people like Ian Poulter should have a better record than TW or PM over this large of sample size.

If pointing records out makes him look foolish, then so be it. 

 

I think I may have thrown you off with this part:

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

It's golf, not football.  It's not like the intensity matters to hitting good golf shots (and, in fact, one could argue that it could be a detriment).

Yeah, he didn't say that.  But that is what I think of when Chamblee says that it's about leadership.  What does that even mean?  To me, it means providing motivation and intensity and heart ... all of the stuff that might help a high school football team, but stuff that professional golfers don't need.  They need to hit good shots and make putts ... which is precisely what Duval said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I didn't think this was appropriate to put in the Contest thread, but I predicted that the Ryder Cup will end in eerily similar fashion to the 2015 Newport Cup, with the eldest Euro chipping in on the 18th, to win his match and halve the overall Cup.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
58 minutes ago, skydog said:

Here's the juicy part, Lego Man hair, concealed-carry compensators, lol.

Quote

For the Americans to stand a chance of winning, they need their baying mob of imbeciles to caress their egos every step of the way. Like one of those brainless bastards from your childhood, the one that pulled down your shorts during the school’s Christmas assembly (f**k you, Paul Jennings), they only have the courage to keg you if they’re backed up by a giggling group of reprobates. Team Europe needs to shut those groupies up.

They need to silence the pudgy, basement-dwelling, irritants, stuffed on cookie dough and pissy beer, pausing between mouthfuls of hotdog so they can scream ‘Baba booey’ until their jelly faces turn red.

They need to stun the angry, unwashed, Make America Great Again swarm, desperately gripping their concealed-carry compensators and belting out a mini-erection inducing ‘mashed potato,’ hoping to impress their cousin.

They need to smash the obnoxious dads, with their shiny teeth, Lego man hair, medicated ex-wives, and resentful children. Squeezed into their cargo shorts and boating shoes, they’ll bellow ‘get in the hole’ whilst high-fiving all the other members of the Dentists’ Big Game Hunt Society.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Here's the juicy part, Lego Man hair, concealed-carry compensators, lol.

 

This article is eerily similar to one of @Ernest Jones regular posts on this site.  ;-)

No offense taken by me, it's funny shit.  I'm not sure brother Danny is crazy about him writing it, however.  Does put a bit of extra pressure on him cuz some won't take this in the same spirit I do.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Captain Clarke does not approve:

Quote

The look of anger on Clarke’s face told the whole story. This was the last thing he needed as he sets out to try to win the Ryder Cup for Europe for a fourth consecutive time.

“I was made aware of the article about an hour ago,” Clarke said. “I showed it to Danny and he’s bitterly disappointed in his brother’s article. It’s not what Danny thinks. It’s not what I think. It’s not what Team Europe stands for.

“That is not the way we view things. The fans could not have been nicer and better to us this week. The article was beyond our control.

http://golfweek.com/2016/09/28/ryder-cup-danny-willett-brother-american-fan-comments-darren-clarke-response-captain/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas featured and pinned this topic
  • iacas unfeatured and unpinned this topic
Note: This thread is 1751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Day 112 (7/27/21) - C19--PP Day 2 today. Focused on keeping my shoulders turning on the proper plane and minimizing head movement. 
    • I'll only ever leave a ball in the trap once. Because ... I'm launching number two into the stratosphere. Some of the longest, most majestic shots I ever hit come out of the greenside bunker on the second effort..  
    • Ticket To Ride; Gloomhaven.
    • One of the more freeing things I ever learned about golf was the bit in LSW about how good or bad (I guess depending on your view) Tour Players are from bunkers.  I can get out of a bunker and onto the green most of the time, and now it isn't something I really worry about practicing;  both because of lack of availability of practice bunkers and also the lack of the need.  The quality of my approach shots has also improved and keeps me out of them enough of the time, too.  And most of my "didn't get down in three from the bunker" instances are three-putting from places I probably shouldn't three-putt from too often, which means the bunker shot wasn't the culprit. 
    • Yeah, it's definitely highly dependent on the situation. Based on my limited experience with how penalty areas are marked near cart paths, it's very rare to see the relief area be between the cart path and the penalty area. That's why I was skeptical but also hedged in my post. In any event, this is really an easy situation in competition. Have them play 2 balls and take some pictures of the area. Let the committee sort it out afterwards. That's easier than arguing about it and have that hanging over your head.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. andreanewman
      andreanewman
      (29 years old)
    2. Erg
      Erg
      (54 years old)
    3. Hacker James
      Hacker James
      (79 years old)
    4. irishmike27
      irishmike27
      (42 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...