IGNORED

What is the purpose of life?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 3156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We have not been disrespectful to anyone. Critiquing religion should not be offensive, yet it sure makes you mad. I'm sure you totally agree with the outrage Muslims have when people draw Mohammed cartoons, right?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have not been disrespectful to anyone. Critiquing religion should not be offensive, yet it sure makes you mad. I'm sure you totally agree with the outrage Muslims have when people draw Mohammed cartoons, right?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I am all for satire and such. I can understand why they would be  upset if it truly did offend them,.  What's special treatment about a religious person asking for someone to be respectful of the fact they want to worship a god?

Because they are just "worshipping a god" and leave it at that. Some do, but that's not even what the religions teach. Brothers and oysters in Christ are supposed to go forth and spread the word and try to gain followers. Every church I've ever attended taught its members how to evangelize. AND, more importantly, we have something called the separation of church and state and the first amendment. All across the country there is tons of pressure to introduce creationism into our classrooms. Christians are claiming they are victims because of the gay marriage situation. And what does "being respectful" even entail? On a DEBATE thread, we have theists losing their shit as well as non believers because people are showing how logic, reason, science, history, and on and on provide an abundance of evidence that the gods people worship are man made. When is the last time you've seen an evangelical atheist or an atheist ringing your door bell to try to convert you? It's not like we jumped into a thread about putting and then railed against Christians or something. THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT ATHEISM AND THEISM, yet any critique is arrogant, condescending, mean, and wrong. To all the people getting offended...what would you have us do? The only thing that would seem to appease you is giving credence to your beliefs. Sorry, but that's not going to happen. Beliefs do not automatically deserve a cloak of respect. People get respect, not ideas. And the funny thing is....this is like playing with kittens with kids gloves! I haven't even gone on the offensive and neither has shorty or anyone else. Here are 2 memes that perfectly demonstrate the theme of this thread so far:

Because they are just "worshipping a god" and leave it at that. Some do, but that's not even what the religions teach. Brothers and oysters in Christ are supposed to go forth and spread the word and try to gain followers. Every church I've ever attended taught its members how to evangelize.

I never had a priest every say go forth and convert people. All the messages I heard were about how to live your life and how to be a good Catholic or Christian. If spreading the word was your calling, then fine. If not then there is other ways to be a Christian. It's not a mandate to be a christian or religious person.

I've ran into those people on the street who hand out bibles. I take one and move on. It pretty much appeases them, it doesn't bother me, it's a win win with no harm.

AND, more importantly, we have something called the separation of church and state and the first amendment. All across the country there is tons of pressure to introduce creationism into our classrooms. Christians are claiming they are victims because of the gay marriage situation.

The definition and interpretation of the first amendment will be a key battle in the future. It has bee known for a while now that to live a Christian faith a person lives their values and beliefs in their lives. As such, I can see where certain laws infringe on that right. Not saying I agree with it. Just saying I can see how the argument will go. In the end Catholics and Christians has always tough that your life is your faith in how you live it. I think if this battle gets to the Supreme Court in the next 5-10 years with no turnover then I believe they will side on religious because most of the Supreme Court Justices are conservatives and the ones that shift from left to right tend to side towards freedom of religion over congressional law in these battles.

When is the last time you've seen an evangelical atheist or an atheist ringing your door bell to try to convert you?

Last weekend. I kept telling him I was agnostic but he didn't believe me. They were just so annoying ;)

Oh I never had a person come to my door and try to convert me. Luckily the church of latter day saints have left me alone ;)

Beliefs do not automatically deserve a cloak of respect. People get respect, not ideas.

And the funny thing is....this is like playing with kittens with kids gloves! I haven't even gone on the offensive and neither has shorty or anyone else.

It's not really giving credence. It's not judging or trying to denounce it. Because not asking for evidence isn't giving credence. In the end you could just say, "Sorry I am not religious." Then move on.

People get respect. I respect your decision to be an atheist. I respect religious people to choose to believe in something I am not sure even exists. I am not going to question it because I am cool with who I am and where my opinions are at.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Not sure about the purpose but just remember:  Always look on the bright side of life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/84340/what-is-the-purpose-of-life/18#post_1197365 layout=inline]Not sure about the purpose but just remember:  Always look on the bright side of life[/CONTENTEMBED] [CONTENTEMBED=/t/84340/what-is-the-purpose-of-life/18#post_1197365 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED] [CONTENTEMBED=/t/84340/what-is-the-purpose-of-life/18#post_1197365 layout=inline][URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M[/URL][/CONTENTEMBED]

That was my favorite part of the Olympic opening ceremony in London!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

In the USA it all about the millionairs/billionairs and multinational corporations stealing all of our wealth. Our job is simply to give everything we have to them.

In the USA it all about the millionairs/billionairs and multinational corporations stealing all of the rest of us wealth. Our job is simply to give everything we have to them.

I might say it's citizens giving 3 trillion dollars a year in tax revenue for broken programs :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

In the USA it all about the millionairs/billionairs and multinational corporations stealing all of our wealth. Our job is simply to give everything we have to them.

I would ask what wealth that is?  Is it wealth that is just laying on the streets or is it wealth from another source (in terms of the corporations)?.  Oh, and you mentioned US but multi national corporations are by the very definition not just US companies.  I have always wondered what wealth was just appropriated by companies that existed before they did so that they could "steal" it.

My fellow atheists might get a chuckle out of these satire sites if you haven't already seen them:

- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYxIsFJNY06h7K7XxK1zDEA (Christians Against Dinosaurs youtube)

- http://www.landoverbaptist.net/

I came across the Landover Baptist Church when I was trying to figure out if "Christians Against Dinosaurs" site was satire or not. It turns out some of the administrators for the Landover Baptist Church are also responsible for CAD.

I might say it's citizens giving 3 trillion dollars a year in tax revenue for broken programs :)

Yes and the trillions the citizens have to pay because the corporations and the millionaires, billionaires don't pay

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Yes and the trillions the citizens have to pay because the corporations and the millionaires, billionaires don't pay

Do you know who actually pays the most tax?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Do you know who actually pays the most tax?

The middle.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

My fellow atheists might get a chuckle out of these satire sites if you haven't already seen them: - [URL=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYxIsFJNY06h7K7XxK1zDEA]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYxIsFJNY06h7K7XxK1zDEA[/URL] (Christians Against Dinosaurs youtube) - [URL=http://www.landoverbaptist.net/]http://www.landoverbaptist.net/[/URL] I came across the Landover Baptist Church when I was trying to figure out if "Christians Against Dinosaurs" site was satire or not. It turns out some of the administrators for the Landover Baptist Church are also responsible for CAD.

I've heard that this is satire.

[quote name="14ledo81" url="/t/84340/what-is-the-purpose-of-life/300_100#post_1204451"] Do you know who actually pays the most tax?

The middle.[/quote] Not according to this chart. Edit: And just so I'm not OT, the meaning of life is... Death and taxes... :)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Not according to this chart.

Edit: And just so I'm not OT, the meaning of life is... Death and taxes... :)

:beer: for the data.   I am in the wrong tax bracket.  Life is bitch then you die.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Dare I enter into this, since so much of it has been sarcastic, hatefull, or off topic? :~(

Sure, I enjoy pushing a stick in an ass's eye! O:)

Micah 6:8 (KJV)
8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Nuff said....

Go ahead, flame on! :whistle:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Note: This thread is 3156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!