IGNORED

any guys here ever game a ladies club?

Sante TwoGloves
Note: This thread is 3090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was Goodwill Hunting yesterday and I found a LPGA Square Two Driver Melody Driver. I bought it for my girfriend who I am slowly trying to convince to play golf and at $4.60 it was a bargain. Mint condition. I always like to try the clubs I buy before i give them to someone or trade in at Play It Again Sports. My drives have not been very consistent this year with a fade that can turn into an ugly slice. This driver is right handed, about two inches shorter than my lefthanded AdamsGolf Redline 10.5.Not sure what loft or flex it is, i imagine a Ladies flex..duh but i need to try something.  I hurt my right hip and right shoulder a few weeks ago trying to get my Adams driver to work and I am limping again this morning. But yesterday with a slower than normal swing with Melody I smacked about 10 drives straight and long.I cranked it up a few notches with even better results.  I couldnt believe it. I know my swing speed is slowing down but damn...not a slice in sight. now this is right handed so maybe my right handed swing is not so much outside in as left handed but the whip seemed to be squaring my clubface at impact. I had a similar big improvement in my distance and direction when i switched from steel to graphite in my irons this year. Of course I need to take her out again to the range a few times before swapping out my driver or 4 wood but has anyone else seen a big improvement trying ladies club? Anyone carry one?

Edited by Sante TwoGloves
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Yes and no. I built a 401cc 14 degree driver last year. It was pink and had the breast cancer ribbon on it. Intended for use as a ladies club (I think) but I set it up for me so my shaft preference and all that. The shaft was also pink (NV) and the grip was purple. I use it here and there, the comments and looks I get are worth it.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't be against it.  If the club itself was the same club but titled a senior flex, or a regular flex, or mens club would it be any different?  It's only a ladies club by name I guess but if it fits your swing it shouldn't really matter.  It's just marketing really -  That said, yes people will give you a hard time about it but I can laugh with em...  I still use bright yellow golf balls lol...

If it works, go with it!  Sure I'd kid you about it once in a while but seriously I'd catch it right back when I missed the fairway and you didn't with that "ladies club"... 

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Yes and no. I built a 401cc 14 degree driver last year. It was pink and had the breast cancer ribbon on it. Intended for use as a ladies club (I think) but I set it up for me so my shaft preference and all that. The shaft was also pink (NV) and the grip was purple. I use it here and there, the comments and looks I get are worth it.

haha sounds like something i would do. if i can keep my drives in play with this club i dont care what kind of looks i get. i am up there with the bigger hitters of my group but just too much spin. i have been using prov 1s but im pretty sure it is my swing to blame. its nice that my left shoulder is feeling better to try right handed clubs again but this one shocked me. i tried an A flex earlier in the year and hit nothing but duck hooks with it. im anxious to try it again this weekend sometime. see if yesterday was just a fluke or not. 

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

WHen I started playing (~ 5 yrs ago) I couldn't hit a full length driver at all - would ground it, slice it, it was a $hit show.   So, in my quest to find anything that would help,  I used a ladies driver (which had a much shorter shaft & was more manageable) for better than a year & had much success, and gained a lot of confidence as a result.   I used to love out driving my buddies with a girl club.  I bet I put almost a hundred rounds on that driver, which got me on the right path ...

Edited by inthehole

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I don't use a long driver all of mine are 45" or shorter. I have no doubt I could use a ladies driver with close to average results. The driver is far and away my weak point, couldn't get much worse.

Dave :-)

sounds like the combination of increased loft, more flex and maybe most important less length. its about as long as my 4 and 5 woods which i seem to hit fairly straight and the 5 wood is firm flex and the 4 reg. i got my big event coming up next sunday. after having different clubs every time we played this year its only fitting that i show up for our "major" with a new driver and a ladies one at that lol.  

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

The main difference with the big  manufacturers is the shaft flex and length. The "Lite" flex is only a little more flex than "senior" flex, and the lengths are 44.5" instead of 45.5 - 46". Still too long for most women. The club head is usually the same design except with a little higher loft, usually 13.5 degrees.

I cut my Big Bertha to 44.5". It's a Fubuki Z50 R shaft. This dropped the SW into the "Ladies" range. However, it didn't change the MOI of  the club head due to the lighter feel of it I picked up a couple MPH. A lightweight R shaft with a higher torque can have a similar effect. Just because one has driver SS in the mid-upper 90s does not mean one needs to swing a S shaft.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I tried a few of my wife's clubs at range.  I was pretty good with her irons - hitting straighter albeit a bit shorter.    I had no luck with hybrids, or woods..  The clubs are lighter and I could not get the tempo right.   

In year one or two of my golf career, I carried my wife's spare driver (higher loft) for tee shots needing accuracy.  But that only lasted a few months until my swing got good enough.

Edited by rkim291968

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Yes. Years ago... circa 1965?

From 7th grade through freshman year of HS, I played ladies PowerBilt 1, 3, 4, and 5 woods. Youth golf clubs were pretty klunky back then, usually chopped off men's clubs.

I had a mixed bag of irons at the time, and the PBs were more reliable than the irons.

Going into sophomore summer, I got used Wlson Staff woods, and used TopFlite Synchrodyned irons.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My son is 12 and just started playing this year.  I bought him a Wilson Staff ladies driver and just never told him it was a women's....  He never noticed the printing on the shaft and its not pink.  He just wasn't tall enough to hit my driver and not short enough for juniors.  His irons are my old irons and he does pretty good with those.

I hit the driver once and didn't love it, but I may swing it again tomorrow to give it another try.

Yeah, all through junior high and much of high school I played with my moms old set of Patty Berg signature clubs.  Don't remember the brand - probably Wilson - but they worked well for me.  I graduated to my dads clubs for a bit (he'd given up the game for awhile at the time) before I bought my own set of used Tour Model II's.

If you're smaller or swing slower I definitely think that there is nothing wrong with playing with women's clubs.

• Upvote 1

I had a 50's dad, who was tight - so I grew up with a set of used Ladies Clubs from the time I was 12 until 22. They were Kenneth Smith Clubs! - a custom brand. My dad purchased them from the lady pro at a local club. They had real leather grips that unwrapped. 

I did hit my only hole in one with them in college.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 4 weeks later...

I rented some clubs at a course in South Carolina not long ago.  Parts bin stuff - they were sh*t.  The newest club in the bag was a R7 driver.  I asked if there were any stiff shafts available and it wasn't til I got to the first that I noticed the PW was a ladies' graphite shafted thing.

It was like trying to hit the ball with a piece of string.  However I managed to stick one close purely by fluke - the rest were all over the place!

I've hit my fiancé's clubs a few times and I just can't get into a rhythm with them.

About 15 years ago my youngest daughter showed some interest in golf so I bought her an inexpensive ladies set (can't recall the brand) and a set of lessons in March.  She had a great swing but was an exceptional soft ball hitter and learning the golf swing messed up her softball swing so she put the clubs aside and never got very serious about golf.  I used to play a hand me down Spaulding Executive Pitching Wedge that I adapted to and was quite good with it.  Needless to say I left it on a green and never got it back.   My next round I just grabbed my daughter's pitching wedge and was amazed how consistently well I hit from 100 yards in - played it for the rest of the season.  I now use a Titleist DCI OS PW but I think I may search for my daughter's PW in the basement!

I once bought an iron set from MC Sports years ago. They were in the men's section and had graphite shafts. I had 3 break about 3-4" above the ferrule within a week of having them. I brought the broken clubs in to be replaced and the clubs that I received were a bit longer and a slightly different color shaft. I brought this to the attention of the sales rep and we discovered the clubs I purchased were women's clubs. Ever since then I've been afraid to even play around swinging a woman's club.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

While in college I bought a set of clubs to replace the set my parents had bought me.  When I mentioned that to my mother, she broke into hysterical laughter and told me that my old set was a women's set and that they bought it for me because it was cheaper and knew I couldn't tell the difference. 

So yeah, I played with ladies clubs for years.

Edited by dsc123

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Kinda, sorta.  

I once bought a used 3-wood and liked it so much I wanted to get the same type of 5 wood.  All I could find was a ladies version of the 5-wood.  I emailed the company and was told that the clubheads in their male and female clubs were the same, the difference was in the shaft.  So I bought the ladies club, but then had it reshafted to match the 3-wood I already had.  It turned out to be one of my favorite clubs for a long time.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!