iacas

Wind picked up today, blew 20-25. Hitting fairways is overrated 

IMG_3440.PNG

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

96 on my first real links style course, Royal American. Met my goal of keeping it under a century but feel I could have been low 90's. Really enjoyed the very challenging course and will definitely play it a few more times before the season is over.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Felt like I shot 100 today, and well, I shot 100 on the dot. Haven’t had a triple digit score in over 9 months. Had a handful of nice swings, but generally full swing and short game we’re atrocious. One birdie, two pars, and bogey or worse (mostly worse) on all the rest. About the only saving grace was a tap in birdie after missing a ~4-foot eagle putt on a drivable par 4.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

After my trip to St. Louis, where my game blew up, I came home, and the game is still in blow-up mode. 83, 86, 85, 84, and an 81 yesterday. My hdcp index has gone from a 6.5 to 9.3.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Penn National - Founders Course - Blue Tees

41-39-80

Nice course, really liked it, played pretty well for first time playing it.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Shot a 35-40 for a 75 at a new course on friday, played from longer tees than we normally play too (6,754)

It was just the second time I broke par for 9 holes, I had 2 birdies and one bogey. 

Finally starting to realize I have enough length off the tee that I don't need to be hitting driver everywhere even on a longer course. (Well that plus my shot zone with driver is huge right now compared to 3 wood and my confidence standing over the ball with a 3 wood is sky high compared to driver) On the front 9 I hit 2 drivers and 5 3 woods off the tee and still broke par.

Back 9 had a few longer holes (460 par 4 into the wind, 195 par 3 into wind, etc) and I tried to be a bit too aggressive and hit driver where I shouldn't have on a few holes which resulted in 2 penalty shots.

Happy with the round overall, just need to clean up a couple course management mistakes and that round could have easily been a couple strokes lower.

12 hours ago, Greg 504 said:

96 on my first real links style course, Royal American. Met my goal of keeping it under a century but feel I could have been low 90's. Really enjoyed the very challenging course and will definitely play it a few more times before the season is over.

Royal American isn't too bad, has couple of quirky holes (tee shots on 3 and 9 come into mind) but I do like the short par 4 17th. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Finally broke 90 this year and shot an 89 at Deerfield Country Club. Really stoked, had a chip in from a bunker on a par 3, and birdied another par 3. Shot 47 42, even playing a really good round by my standards I still felt like I left a ton of dumb strokes on the course, but I'll feel good for the day and forget the drop, and tops that hindered me from going lower. 

• Like 1

Salvaged a 79 yesterday. Again, the ball was all over the place. Nice drive, shank the next shot, but got up and down for a par. Too many holes like that. I can't keep up the scrambling.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

21 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

Nice drive, shank the next shot, but got up and down for a par.

I suspect you’re using the term ‘shank’ rather loosely? 😁

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I suspect you’re using the term ‘shank’ rather loosely? 😁

I guess you could say that. Off the toe, off the shaft, anywhere but the clubface. It wasn't every shot, but too many for my liking. And, my liking is zero!

Spent a couple of hours practicing Sunday with my driver, which has been really hurting my score.  Played with settings and grip, as well as slight swing change.  Went out and shot 39, 45 for 84 off blue tees, best ever front 9 from that tee. Only one blow up on the back.  Sure hope I can retain  it as it will really help my game.

91 today. Had a great shot of breaking 90 and blew it on 16 with a freaking snowman on a par 5 followed by a double bogey on the 17th par 3. Despite my better judgement, I tried a hero shot from a terrible lie, hit a tree limb on the approach and splashed into a front right tiny water hole. The moment I hit the shot I instantly thought of LSW and was pissed at myself. Again, got lax with my course management/shot decisions and it cost me.

Guess there is tomorrow.

23 hours ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

Finally broke 90 this year and shot an 89 at Deerfield Country Club. 

Congrats on breaking 90 DuckDuckFoose!

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Today was another 101 day (50 on the front, 51 on the back).  My son, along with his 4yr old son (who is my backyard playing partner), was with me as we played one of the older local courses.  It is just over 6,500 yds from the tips so we played the next set back or just over 6,200.  It was a good day on the driver, very consistent with 9 of 14 drives in or just off the fairway.  Attribute that to dialing in the face of the SLDR (used the foot powder trick on the face to correlate face contact to flight path) to where I am more consistent under "game" conditions.  Also accuracy on the irons was good (used the 962 Titlelists). Putting was good, the greens were in good shape.  Iron play was good, I love hitting the 962s especially when I flush them.  Fairway and hybrid play was very consistent.  It was a really good day. I love that the past few rounds, my play has been within a shot front to back.  Used to be if it was good on the front, it was going to be bad on the back.  Have to attribute this to LSW and remembering - head down, weight forward and straight line on swings and using course management to "eliminate hero" shots with good shots that are always moving forward.   

Final score: 

me - 101

my son - 109 (he is struggling with the drives - whether driver or fairway off the tee)

grandson - all holes were "4", so we figured he was the winner with a 72 for the round.  Actually he does pretty well as his "tee box" is around the 100 yard marker.  He has a great natural swing and puts without swing thoughts - and sinks more on the first swing than I ever thought about.  

Day was priceless.... 

Edited by WillieT
  • Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Today was a fun round. I figured out on the range yesterday why I’ve been struggling. My grip was just too tight, and I started hitting it better as soon as I lightened it. That’s all I needed.

My dad came along for nine holes, and we had another guy join us, who I would play with for all 18. I started off strong, chipping in for birdie on the first hole, then two-putt pars on two and three. I had a four-stroke lead on my dad, but he cut that in half when he had a tap-in birdie on the par-5 fourth to my bogey, then we halved the fifth hole with doubles. I had a decent chance to save a bogey, but it took a turn at the last second and stayed out. On the sixth, I made another bogey, and my dad made another birdie to tie the match, this one after sinking a 15-footer.

We halved seven and eight, both of us going par-bogey, leaving us tied with one to play. I was on in three, and he was laying the same just short. He hit a solid chip to about six feet, and I hit an okay putt, leaving me four feet for par. My dad made his putt look easy, knocking it dead center, meaning I had to make my knee-knocker to tie. He tried to get into my head, and I joked with him: “Shut up and lemme make my putt, goshdang it”, making us both laugh. I did just that and put my ball on top of his. We both shot 40 on the front nine, and my dad left, while me and the other guy, who shot 41, continued on with me.

We decided to have a little competition of our own. Unlike the front, there wasn’t much happening until the eighteenth. At that point, I had made eight straight bogeys, playing him dead even for the back, keeping my slim one-stroke lead. I did extend my lead up to two strokes on the 15th, but gave it right back on the 16th.

The eighteenth at my home club is an all carry 157-yard par-3 over water. We had to wait several minutes because the group in front of us was slow. That only increased the tension of the match. I hit a club more than normal (5I instead of a 6I) because I’d much rather be ten yards long than a yard short. Instead, I pushed it right, pin-high. My opponent had a bunker shot, so it would come down to whether either of us could get up-and-down. 

He hit a decent out to about twelve feet. I tried to play a bump-and-run, but landed it too high and it ran through the green, then I hit another chip six feet past the hole. His par putt was tracking dead at the hole, but it caught the lip and spun out, and he tapped in for bogey. My putt was to win the match, and it spun out too, so it tapped in for double. We both shot 86 on the day, myself 40-46, him 41-45. A lot of good things came from today:

1) Knocked off another birdie on the challenge! This birdie was on the first hole, which is one of the more difficult holes on the course.

2) I was scrambling for bogies a lot during this round. When I missed the green and I had a par putt, the par putts ranged from six feet to about 30 feet. So not the best short game today, but I was able to make bogey at the worst (apart from two doubles, both of which I two-putted to get).

3) This is the one I’m most excited about. No three-putts! A chip in, a one putt, the rest two putts. Just really good lag putting, and a few clutch putts.

My tournament is on Thursday. I’ve been told that the course we’re playing is tight off the tee, so hitting fairways is gonna be key. My 5W is the straightest club in my bag, so I’ll probably be milking that club all day. But I feel really confident that I can post a solid score.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot