IGNORED

What driver and what irons do you use?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 2962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Titleist 913D3 and Mizuno MP-69 irons (3-pw).  The Mizunos are the best clubs I've ever had.  I hope to have them for a long time.   Titleist driver (and 4w and hybrid) are also fantastic.   They make me want to get future Titleist models.  Although I expect that won't be for 5-7 years at least. 

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adams Speedline Super S driver and Xtd irons.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Callaway GBB 10/Oban Kiyoshi Purple, Edel CB/Recoil 95

(I paid a lot)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have a Cleveland Classic driver 270 10.5 deg and it is the best I have ever had not only in looks but the great results.  My irons are Mizuno mx900 with graphite shafts.  Great irons,  I play Bobby Jones hybrids and I play Bobby Jones gap and sand wedges.  My Wilson putter is quite old. but I put a new super stroke grip last year and once adjusting to the new size and feel it works fine.  No changes this year.

I use a G30 driver and a set of s55 irons. 

The G30 driver I actually never expected to buy. I would test my old driver against the latest aND greatest annually to see if I could find any improvement, but I never saw any significant difference until I tried the G30. I gained between 10 and 15 yards from a higher launch and faster ball speed, while my accuracy remained the same. When I was able to repeat the testing results on multiple days and on the course, I bought the driver in a hurry and installed a BiMatrix shaft to fix the only issue I had with the club: high spin. 

The s55 irons I bought after testing a bunch of irons. At the end of my testing I found the s55, mp59, and mp69 irons to be the three highest performing irons, but from there it came down to price and practicality. The mizunos, as great as they are, wear faster than the s55's and also would cost me more (since my grandpa gets a military discount on PING equipment). I preferred the feel of the Mizunos, but the ping irons gave me less painful vibration on misfits and greater forgiveness, in addition to the price/durability advantages. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Callaway GBB 10/Oban Kiyoshi Purple, Edel CB/Recoil 95

(I paid a lot)

I take it the kids/grandkids are no longer going to college ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

I take it the kids/grandkids are no longer going to college ;-)

Not necessarily...

I did pick up the shaft for $145, and not $400.

I have some extra shafts to sell ... lol.

This was my year to find a friendly, realistic bag in Driver and Woods. Famous Last Words: "Bag is set." The "paid a lot" reference was for the guys who always must mention how inexpensively they bought their clubs. I tried that route. I ended up spending more because I was chasing a fantasy that clubs can do more than they actually can. Buy right, buy once, but that doesn't count for drivers. Sort of like aim small, miss small.

Anyone need an Edel Vari-Loft, Vari-Weight Rogue Putter with UST Shaft? lol.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Driver, Titleist 913 D2.  Irons TaylorMade AeroBurner 4-AW.  Also AeroBurner 5W and 7W.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Amazingly I use Ping.

Have a set of Ping i15 irons, 3-PW

Ping i15 9.5 Driver, 3 and 5 wood.

Dean

Driver - Ping i15 9.5 Stiff Shaft
3 and 5 wood - Ping i15 Regular 
Irons 3-PW - Ping i15
yup, there's a theme here...........
Putter
- Ping Scottsdale Tr

One time fanatic golfer, took a break, now back on the course/range as much as possible
"If at first you don't succeed.......Sky-diving probably isn't for you"

On December 30, 2015 at 8:13 PM, PEZGolf said:

My driver is a Taylor made Burner 10.5 (a hand me down from my son) and my irons are Tour Blazers (30 year old Maxfli knock downs). I love all of them. I am a scratch player and can put the ball where I want. If I ever get new irons, they would be Mizunos.

I use Ping for everything but my wedges 3W and hybrid.

BTW, someone changed your handicap to 11.3. You should change it back.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Driver: Titleist 913D2

Irons: Yonex EZ-Blades 3-PW (Great irons.  I love the distance and the trajectory of these irons)

Wedges: Titleist 52, 56 and 60

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

19 minutes ago, Ping said:

Driver- Taylormade R 580XD, 10.5

Irons- Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper

Putter-  Titlelist Bulls Eye (sc), Standard Flange

Wow you still use the 580xd driver? Thats an oldie but it was one of my favorites.I use anywhere from Taylormade superfast 2.0, R9 and Mizuno ez driver with the Adams xtd forged ironsI just got to start with this year.Used like 3 different sets last year.callaway x20 clones, Rocketbladz and mizuno mx1000.

11 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Wow you still use the 580xd driver? Thats an oldie but it was one of my favorites.I use anywhere from Taylormade superfast 2.0, R9 and Mizuno ez driver with the Adams xtd forged ironsI just got to start with this year.Used like 3 different sets last year.callaway x20 clones, Rocketbladz and mizuno mx1000.

Yes.  I've experimented with the new generation of drivers in a feeble attempt to compensate for loss of distance due to my advancing age, but always return to the 580...a superb driver.

Note: This thread is 2962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!