IGNORED

Where Is Your Next Golf Trip Going to Be?

Smidd4

I'm headed to Pinehurst/Southern Pines for the first weekend in April, playing in the Golfer's Journal event at MidPines.  3 rounds, Mid Pines, Southern Pines, and Pine Needles.  My partner and I are going a couple of days early, will play Pinehurst #3 (practice on Donald Ross greens ) and Mid South.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm headed to Pinehurst/Southern Pines for the first weekend in April, playing in the Golfer's Journal event at MidPines.  3 rounds, Mid Pines, Southern Pines, and Pine Needles.  My partner and I are going a couple of days early, will play Pinehurst #3 (practice on Donald Ross greens ) and Mid South.

Good stretch of golf there. Mid Pines, Pine Needles, and Southern Pines is up there for the best three golf courses that are with in 15 minutes of each other. 

I will be down there in the third week of April.

I know Pine Needles has gotten the most acclaim of the non numbered courses in the area, but I prefer Mid Pines. Really, Southern Pines might be close pending their renovations. I do enjoy the Southern Pines layout. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

58 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Good stretch of golf there. Mid Pines, Pine Needles, and Southern Pines is up there for the best three golf courses that are with in 15 minutes of each other. 

I know Pine Needles has gotten the most acclaim of the non numbered courses in the area, but I prefer Mid Pines. Really, Southern Pines might be close pending their renovations. I do enjoy the Southern Pines layout. 

We played those three when we were down at Thanksgiving.  I'm with you, my favorite is Mid Pines.  The renovations at Southern Pines are really good, the removal of lots of trees has made the course feel much more open.  On the other hand, the new green contours are pretty severe on many greens, potentially too severe considering the green speeds that can be achieved with the modern grass varieties.  I'm not certain of that, I'll be interested to see how it plays the second time around.  No matter what, it'll be fun.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

'Have Bag will Travel' heads to Vegas, TMR.

First stop is St George for 4 days of golf.
Then to Vegas for a Pro-Am, 5 days of golf 🙂

Travel 2.png

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Just looking for some input on the following courses I'm going to be playing at Hilton Head next month:

1. Harbor Town-don't really need much input for this one.

2. Atlantic Dunes- have heard nothing but good things.

3. Palmetto Dunes - Robert Trent Jones. Looks good. I know nothing else.

4. Oyster Reef- again, looks good but know nothing else. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

9 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

2. Atlantic Dunes- have heard nothing but good things.

Shoulder shrug from me on this one, and the only one you mentioned that I have experience with. I put this course in the category of "yet another nicely groomed course navigating through very expensive homes." And you might get a glimpse of the ocean at one point if you stand on your tippy toes on one of the par 3 greens.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I know I wouldn't play there again.

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

With the price of gas going up like a Space-X rocket, I don't foresee any golf or other trips. I was planning on heading to the panhandle area to meet up with friends, but that's on hold.

- Shane

On 3/8/2022 at 7:58 AM, dennyjones said:

We are playing Garland 3 days before Father's Day.   I'm looking forward to playing there.

I've booked tee times at Oleander, Indian Mound, Sea Palms, Sanctuary and King and Prince.    Excited! 

If I was correctly, you are playing Garland on June 16th, I will be playing Treetops on June 13 and Garland on June 14 & 15.

53 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

With the price of gas going up like a Space-X rocket, I don't foresee any golf or other trips. I was planning on heading to the panhandle area to meet up with friends, but that's on hold.

It is not just the price of gas.  Greens Fees, lodging & food along with gas will make our golf trips more costly.  I’ll just have to remember to ask for the senior rates, that saved me @ $60 on my June trip to Garland.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 3/8/2022 at 9:02 AM, saevel25 said:

We all loved Mid Pines last year, but this year most of our group ranked it last among the courses we played.  That was due mostly to conditions.  It was late Feb., but even in comparison to the other courses and to prior years.  Plenty of good growing season before you're down there for things to shape up.

As great as those three courses are, its shocking how poorly they're run.  The booking experience is an absolute mess.  We've had the MP open half an hour after our scheduled tee time.  At PN Lodge, one guy in our group had an over flowing toilet above him pouring into his bathroom.  The lady at the front desk shrugged and gave him a plunger!   That's it!   I rented one of those Finn Scooters--which was awesome.  The cart guy said I had to download an app to use it.  I asked what app and he said he didn't know!  It wasn't that hard for me to figure out, but wtf???? lol  It amazes me that they're going to host a LPGA US Open

BUT the courses are great and we get a great deal and we have a blast and its totally worth it.  At this point, dealing with the MP/PN/SP mishaps is half the fun.

Edited by dsc123

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

1 hour ago, dsc123 said:

As great as those three courses are, its shocking how poorly they're run.  The booking experience is an absolute mess.  We've had the MP open half an hour after our scheduled tee time.  At PN Lodge, one guy in our group had an over flowing toilet above him pouring into his bathroom.  The lady at the front desk shrugged and gave him a plunger!   That's it!   I rented one of those Finn Scooters--which was awesome.  The cart guy said I had to download an app to use it.  I asked what app and he said he didn't know!  It wasn't that hard for me to figure out, but wtf???? lol  It amazes me that they're going to host a LPGA US Open

I can only assume the labor shortage and resulting drop in standards using whichever warm body shows up has affected them. Hopefully they will get things together before the big event and future. 

I've only had good experiences at PN/MP which includes conditions (once each).  

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be heading to Saddlebrook Resort near Tampa beginning part of May there are 20 of us going for 4 days the group travels to a different place every year since 1995 some of us are getting long in the tooth but manage to pull it off every year.

• 4 weeks later...

Flying instead of taking the ferry to Maui and will be joining my wife for 2 ball at Plantation, Bay, Plantation for 3 days, we got a rental right on the bay course near the new routing 18th. And that starts tomorrow. Nice break from building my house while Sheetrock guys take care of business. 

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

• 1 month later...

Heading to Reno with a couple dozen guys on Sunday.  Sommerset CC, Lakeridge, Wolf Run and Eagle Valley West.  These guys have been doing this trip forever and this is my third time joining them.  Looking forward to something other than rain or the threat of rain!

My parents are taking my brother and I on a short golf trip early next week to Wilmington as my graduation present.

We’re playing Wilmington Municipal on Monday afternoon, then staying the night at Beau Rivage and we have an early tee time there on Tuesday morning. I’ve heard good things about both courses so I’m excited!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked a March 2023 trip to play Pebble Beach and Spyglass! Bucket list trip with my dad. Our families are going out too, but main topic for the trip is the golf, where only my dad and I will play Pebble. Debating whether to get a caddy. I don’t want help from one on how to play the course, just want the conversation and experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

Just booked a March 2023 trip to play Pebble Beach and Spyglass! Bucket list trip with my dad. Our families are going out too, but main topic for the trip is the golf, where only my dad and I will play Pebble. Debating whether to get a caddy. I don’t want help from one on how to play the course, just want the conversation and experience. 

Don't forget to take along a plastic sandwich bag for collecting that wedge divot on #18.  And planting it in your back yard when you return home.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Heading to Prattville Alabama to play the three courses at Capitol Hill on the Robert Trent Jones golf Trail.  We'll play 18-36-18-36 Thursday thru Sunday.  I played these courses in 2011 and can't wait to play them again.  

Okay. Got my Hilton Head courses lined up for Thanksgiving week.

Harbor Town

Atlantic Dunes

Oyster Reef 

Old South Golf Links.

Haven't been to HH so does this look like a good group of courses?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)