IGNORED

What is the single worst common on-course breach of etiquette?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the single worst common on-course breach of etitquette  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Common Etiquette Issue

• Walking on line of putt
    • Talking/Making noise during a stroke
    • Moving during a stroke
    • Failure to offer/tend the flag
    • Playing music too loud
    • Playing out of turn
    • Walking away from green before others are done
    • Other (please describe)

Most of the stuff does not bother me. In fact, sometimes a person would apologize for talking during my swing and I tell them honestly that I had no idea they were talking because I tune everything out during my swing. 

Only thing that does bother me is foreign objects on the green like sunflower seeds. Disgusting. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, rehmwa said:

"Divot Tool"

the fact that the commonly accepted term for the tool used to fixed ball marks on the green is called a Divot Tool - and it's not used to repair divots - is funny enough

I dare anyone to find an analogy in another activity/hobby or sport.

For example - take this picture here of a face guard

MWSnap 2016-01-14, 08_45_06.jpg

American Football- not shaped like a ball and only occasionally contacts a foot.

Why do you park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

1 minute ago, SavvySwede said:

American Football- not shaped like a ball and only occasionally contacts a foot.

Why do you park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?

And what's the deal with airline peanuts?

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

My son just said "other" which is pushing a hand cart onto the greens. I I assure you guys that I didn't show him the thread*** about trying to allowing hand carts onto greens. :-P

***There is a new kid (high school age) in their play league who uses a cart and pushes it onto the greens. This is his own opinion formed from this experience. . . :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

15 hours ago, Yukari said:

sometimes a person would apologize for talking during my swing and I tell them honestly that I had no idea they were talking because I tune everything out during my swing. 

I really don't understand the need some people have for dead silence when they swing.  The only thing I would consider a distraction would be a sudden, loud, unexpected noise once I've started my swing.  Other than that, a little conversation isn't any more distracting that the birds chirping, the breeze rustling through the trees, or some passing traffic.

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'd say not replacing divots. I get soooo tired of watching guys take a divot and be too lazy to walk up and retrieve then replace it. They love that repair mix bottle on the cart.

Standing and sometimes moving in someone's peripheral vision is one that bugs the hell out of me as well.

Seems many players don't know to stand directly face on or behind a players back when they are playing a shot.

18 minutes ago, RH31 said:

I'd say not replacing divots. I get soooo tired of watching guys take a divot and be too lazy to walk up and retrieve then replace it. They love that repair mix bottle on the cart.

Standing and sometimes moving in someone's peripheral vision is one that bugs the hell out of me as well. Seems many players don't know to stand directly face on or behind a players back when they are playing a shot.

I replace divots, but I'm not sure it's better than using the mix bottle or not. It just makes life easier for the person behind me. The person behind me has actually been me in the past***.

***I sometimes loop around a few holes to practice some strategy variations. It's not me using a time machine. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

24 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Seems many players don't know to stand directly face on or behind a players back when they are playing a shot.

Yeah, I hate that when people just drop the mix in.   Generally there is enough that is sent or posted by the club that getting the original divot in there is better.   Even if it's in several pieces.

I learned where to stand from being a caddy and am extremely concerned with being quiet while other people are swinging.  I hate having a sneeze or cough in my throat and holding it in until after someone's ball is in the air.

—Adam

33 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Standing and sometimes moving in someone's peripheral vision is one that bugs the hell out of me as well.

6 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Yeah, I hate that when people just drop the mix in.   Generally there is enough that is sent or posted by the club that getting the original divot in there is better.   Even if it's in several pieces.

I learned where to stand from being a caddy and am extremely concerned with being quiet while other people are swinging.  I hate having a sneeze or cough in my throat and holding it in until after someone's ball is in the air.

Around here, replaced divots almost never survive, so the superintendents I've talked to prefer that you just fill with sand if you are riding.  Our climate is so dry (typical day time humidity is under 20%) that by the time the sprinklers run overnight, the divot is already desiccated.  All you end up with is a patch of dead, yellow turf that actually inhibits the regrowth of good grass.  That's why on my home course they use not just sand, but a sand and grass seed mix that grows back in pretty fast.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

I really don't understand the need some people have for dead silence when they swing.  The only thing I would consider a distraction would be a sudden, loud, unexpected noise once I've started my swing.  Other than that, a little conversation isn't any more distracting that the birds chirping, the breeze rustling through the trees, or some passing traffic.

It has to do with the setup routine.  People converse during golf, but normally they quiet down when another player addresses the ball.  When they don't, I'm left standing there trying to address the ball wondering if they are going to quiet down or not.  Then you might wonder if they are even watching, or if it's OK to hit, or if now, by waiting longer, you are playing slow.  So it helps to have some hush just so you a have a cue to start your address routine.

Walking on the putting line, on the other hand, means nothing to me.  Someone walked on that line earlier in the day already, so what does it matter who did it and when?

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Around here, replaced divots almost never survive, so the superintendents I've talked to prefer that you just fill with sand if you are riding.  Our climate is so dry (typical day time humidity is under 20%) that by the time the sprinklers run overnight, the divot is already desiccated.  All you end up with is a patch of dead, yellow turf that actually inhibits the regrowth of good grass.  That's why on my home course they use not just sand, but a sand and grass seed mix that grows back in pretty fast.  

I don't think it's ever gotten that dry around here, although except for going on vacation I've only golfed somewhere for the past 6 years that had it.   20% humidity is what we have in the middle of winter.   But that makes a lot of sense.   You need what will allow the ground to grow back the fastest.   They do sand and a sand/grass seed mix changed up through the year.

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

I think a lot of it has to do with a person's focus and how much they pay attention to the things around them?   Like a cell phone conversation (although that has it's own reason for being more distracting) that isn't any of your business, some people tune into that a lot more.   It's not that you think people are rude, I think that it's because you devote part of your attention to it and some people can't turn that off easily.   When I say it doesn't bother me now, it used to.   But I learned to explicitly tune it out so that it didn't bother me.   But everyone's minds work differently.  If I overhear something my bias is to listen in.

Edited by imsys0042

—Adam

On 1/13/2016 at 10:17 AM, jsgolfer said:

Only that bothers me on the golf course, other than my own play, is sow play.  Other than that I'm in my own world on the course for the most part and just don't let other people's play affect me.

I chose other, with slow play being my candidate as well.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Other

One of the other posts brought this to mind, I hate seeing cigar and cigarette butts. especially on tees and greens.  People would never think of dropping a candy bar wrapper, but they flip their butts and think nothing of it.  If you can't find a trash can, put it in your bag until you find one.  If its too nasty to put in your own bag, why do you expect ME to deal with it?  For a cigar butt, just tear it up, them little shreads will be fine, but a ciggy filter will last forever.

Another pet peeve, and I have a feeling I'm on an island with this one, is leaving practice balls on the putting green.  Our club has unlimited range use, so we have big buckets of range balls out.  Some people use those practice balls to practice their putting, and leave them there.  Of course, the next guy (me) has to move them out of the way to start my own practice putting.  This is simple, clean up after yourself.  For whatever reason, leaving range balls on the chipping green doesn't bother me, only on the practice putting green.

Rant over!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Other

One of the other posts brought this to mind, I hate seeing cigar and cigarette butts. especially on tees and greens.  People would never think of dropping a candy bar wrapper, but they flip their butts and think nothing of it.  If you can't find a trash can, put it in your bag until you find one.  If its too nasty to put in your own bag, why do you expect ME to deal with it?  For a cigar butt, just tear it up, them little shreads will be fine, but a ciggy filter will last forever.

Another pet peeve, and I have a feeling I'm on an island with this one, is leaving practice balls on the putting green.  Our club has unlimited range use, so we have big buckets of range balls out.  Some people use those practice balls to practice their putting, and leave them there.  Of course, the next guy (me) has to move them out of the way to start my own practice putting.  This is simple, clean up after yourself.  For whatever reason, leaving range balls on the chipping green doesn't bother me, only on the practice putting green.

Rant over!

Leaving range balls on the putting green?  Sounds like a first world golfer problem to me.

As a smoker, I do try to be pretty careful about disposing my butts properly. I've actually gotten better at timing cigs so that I can drop em in the trash can by the tee box. Otherwise, I got a spot for them on my bag.

Just now, mcanadiens said:

Leaving range balls on the putting green?  Sounds like a first world golfer problem to me.

Like I said, I didn't figure that one would resonate with too many other people.  It just kind of flowed forward from the butt issue, some more "clean up after your own damn self" stuff.  And thanks, I do appreciate the smokers who do their best to be considerate.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!