IGNORED

Best Courses by State [Golfweek]

Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These lists don't change much YTY, \ maybe there's a couple of new entries. I don't really agree with this list for the states I'm familiar with, but nonetheless, lots of great courses in the lists.

http://golfweek.com/news/2016/mar/01/golf-courses-golfweeks-state-by-state-2016/

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

These lists don't change much YTY, \ maybe there's a couple of new entries. I don't really agree with this list for the states I'm familiar with, but nonetheless, lots of great courses in the lists.

http://golfweek.com/news/2016/mar/01/golf-courses-golfweeks-state-by-state-2016/

I've played a grand total of one course in MA, one in NH, one in RI and one in Hawaii.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I played

• 4 in SC - Caledonia, True Blue, TPC Myrtle and Heritage 
  • 3 in NY - Bethpage Black & Red and Tallgrass,
  • 2 in NJ - Crystal Springs Ballyowen & Wild Turkey
  • 1 in CT - Mohegan Sun
  • 1 in FL - PGA Golf Club (Wanamaker)
  • 1 in AZ - Talking Stick
  • 1 in TX - Brackenridge

Joe Paradiso

The only state I have played any of those courses would be Florida. I've played #8 Innisbrook (Copperhead), but am playing #5 World Woods (Pine Barrens) and #12 World Woods (Rolling Oaks) the 1st weekend in April.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

Wow, I've played a bunch of these, 30 in all in 8 different states.  I'm a lucky guy!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Only 2

Saratoga National, Saratoga
NY

Tidewater Plantation GC, North Myrtle Beach 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

The fact that Pennsylvania has Jeffersonville GC on the list makes the whole list a joke in my book. I don't think that would even make the top 50 maybe 100.

I have golfed 6 of the top 8 listed for Nevada. I am not in agreement with much of that list. There are (IMHO) some better quality, condition wise available that does not cost as much as those listed.

Most of those listed are for the high rollers who visit Vegas with deep pockets. 

In a smallish way, I helped build that Coyote Springs course. It's nothing special unless you want to take long drive out in the desert, in the middle of no where.  

I think this list was made up using higher green fees as a focal point. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

26 minutes ago, Patch said:

I have golfed 6 of the top 8 listed for Nevada. I am not in agreement with much of that list. There are (IMHO) some better quality, condition wise available that does not cost as much as those listed.

Most of those listed are for the high rollers who visit Vegas with deep pockets. 

In a smallish way, I helped build that Coyote Springs course. It's nothing special unless you want to take long drive out in the desert, in the middle of no where.  

I think this list was made up using higher green fees as a focal point. 

I don't know about the cost aspect, although I recognize many of them as rather expensive.  It could just as easily be based on something like GolfNow reviews and ratings.  Any list of "Best..." is going to cause disagreements and discussions, that's their purpose in the first place.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I've played

South Carolina (9)

1. Harbour Town Golf Links

2. The Dunes Golf & Beach Club

3. Tidewater Plantation GC

4. The Walker Course at Clemson

5. Myrtle Beach National (King’s North), Myrtle Beach

6. TPC Myrtle Beach, Murrells Inlet

7. Legends Golf Complex (Moorland), Myrtle Beach

8. Barefoot Resort (Dye), North Myrtle Beach

9. The Heritage Club, Pawleys Island

Pennsylvania (1) Hershey CC (West)

Georgia (1) Arrowhead Pointe, Elberton

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: Paradym 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
3 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Pinned RF

22 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Agree with @Grumpter.  The criteria/selection of these things makes you wonder.

I live close to, and have played numbers 21 and 24 in FL many times.  They're both very mediocre layouts by any standard, and are both known for their consistently poor course conditions.  I wouldn't put either in the top 25 in Central FL, let alone the state....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The list by state (at least in Ohio) are public course anyone can play.  OH list is 'suspect' at best.  I just don't know how they come up with such a list and ranking.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Example:

#6 ranked course is usually in fair to poor condition (greens especially) because they let people start playing too early in the season; the course gets nearly full play in terms of filling the starter sheet; the play is incredibly slow because the course puts too many people on at the same time; Staff is apparently 'doing me a favor' letting ME play there.

Sorry, those lists just aren't right.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• 3 weeks later...

I've played about a third of the AZ courses, and I'll attest to number two on the list.  Quintero doesn't come up a lot in discussions about Phoenix area golf because it's not in Scottsdale, but it is FANTASTIC and cheaper than the more well known courses.  It's really, really hard too.

I'm surprised that Coachella Valley seems under-represented.

Edit:  wow, I've played 41 of these courses!  I guess it helps that I've lived in nine different states.

AZ-8

CA-6

FL-1

GA-2

HI-6

MO-2

SC-3

TX-12

VA-1.  I was actually a member at Keswick for a year when I lived in Cville getting my LLM.  Played it about a hundred times that year, but before the Fazio re-design.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

On 3/2/2016 at 9:54 AM, dave s said:

#6 ranked course is usually in fair to poor condition (greens especially) because they let people start playing too early in the season; the course gets nearly full play in terms of filling the starter sheet; the play is incredibly slow because the course puts too many people on at the same time; Staff is apparently 'doing me a favor' letting ME play there.

I never had issues with the Quarry when I played it. The course is a visual treat. Though some of the holes are kinda gimmicky. I wouldn't put to much into one person gripping about it. 

I've only played 3 courses on that list. Sleepy Hollow, The Quarry and Eaglesticks. Of those three I would play Eaglesticks, then Sleep Hollow, then The Quarry. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's funny, I've never played more than one in any state. 

Connecticut

• 7 - Shennecossett

Delaware

• 2 - Deerfield

Massachusetts

• 9 - George Wright

New York

• 1 - Bethpage Black

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I've played quite a few of the courses in a few states.  I'm fortunate enough that I will be able to play Pebble, Poppy, Spanish Bay, and Spyglass on our men's trip this summer.  I'm also going out to Carmel in a month or so and am making the effort to get on Pasatiempo. 

Since I live in the Scottsdale area I must disagree with this list as it pertains to AZ.  I actually played WeKoPa Saguaro yesterday, and although it is in great shape and a really nice track it's not No.1.  I actually prefer the Cholla course over Saguaro.  Quintero has to be No 1.  Both of the Troon North courses are excellent, as is Southern Dunes.  The absolute most overrated and overpriced course in the state has got to be the TPC Stadium course.  Quite frankly, I think the course is garbage.  There is nothing memorable about it, and the sister Champions course is a better layout and more fun.  I'd actually rate every single course on that list higher than the Stadium course.  The only things it has going for it is that the tour has an event on it and they have the TPC budget money so the course is always in shape.

I only put this on this forum to warn golfers who may travel here to play good courses.  You'll get much better value for your money playing many of the other courses on the list AZ has to offer.

On 3/19/2016 at 0:56 PM, saevel25 said:

I never had issues with the Quarry when I played it. The course is a visual treat. Though some of the holes are kinda gimmicky. I wouldn't put to much into one person gripping about it. 

I've only played 3 courses on that list. Sleepy Hollow, The Quarry and Eaglesticks. Of those three I would play Eaglesticks, then Sleep Hollow, then The Quarry. 

Perfect ranking of those three courses.  I really liked Eaglesticks when the wife and I did the Friday/Saturday Longaberger and Eaglesticks deal.  Longaberger ate us both alive.  We'll never go back there!  Eaglesticks staff and course both wonderful. Definitely going back this season.  Played another course down that way that hosted the college D3 national championship.  Course is in Howard, OH and called Apple Valley.  Incredible condition and a good test if you're ever up that way, look it up.  

There are a few places like The Quarry where everyone wants to play there, the course is overbooked Friday - Sunday and the staff knows it and doesn't have to provide good service.  Pretty sure the wife and I played there for the last time 2 seasons ago when we had a 6 + hour round.  Birthday gift from the wife.  We played last week of September, teed off at 1:30 and finished in the DARK!!!

Will always play Sleepy Hollow.  Tee to green easy money ... then the putting starts!  A few greens are really hard to hold and 3- and 4-putts are possible.  I usually have a great ball striking day there (fairways are usually perfect) and rack up 40 putts due to the diabolical greens and sadistic pin placement.  Ugh.  It's always something.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!