IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I expect more out of both of them.

Rory's US Open record isn't great, particularly on fast tracks. When I threw some money down, I didn't even consider him. That being said, the fact this was a soft track played into his strength and he didn't take advantage of it. As far as Rickie goes, I used to always put money on him in majors and I've learned my lesson. It's like throwing money down the toilet. Most times I throw it down the toilet after the first day.

Edited by ChrisP

10 minutes ago, xcott said:

to be a top level athelete you need to have a significant lack of self-awareness. You have to truly believe against all odds that you are better than everyone else. There is a level of delusion to it and you have to completely believe in it. To your point Fowler seems like the kind of guy who has a lot of self-awareness and is like a normal human being with the requisite doubts and realistic outlook. 

Radio Lab did an episode about this.  http://www.radiolab.org/story/91618-lying-to-ourselves/

Athletes who lied to themselves performed better than those that didn't.

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So far the leaderboard looks like that of the Humana Challenge, not a US Open.

By the way, whatever happened to Hunter Mahan? 

Edited by ChrisP

15 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

So far the leaderboard looks like that of the Humana Challenge, not a US Open.

By the way, whatever happened to Hunter Mahan? 

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 10.26.59 AM.png

38th in the world after the US Open last year. Looks like quite a fall to 147th. I saw an interview that he feels his game is good, but that he's just not "hitting the shots he needs to" or something like that. He said he's feeling the pressure now each week, whereas until now, he hasn't had to deal with a lot of hardship on the course.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

59 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I've been looking for the round 2 schedule and can't find it, maybe they're waiting until this wave is fully underway?

I'm guessing the wave today will play 36, the afternoon wave today will go out in the morning and they'll make the cut around noon then start round 3?

Can anyone confirm this?  Will any of the afternoon wave start today?

Ever heard of Google?  JK ;)

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2016/6/17/11962086/us-open-tee-times-2016-groups-start-time-friday

Looks like they're confident that they can  at least get today's afternoon wake started today and be all caught up come Sunday.

This actually makes it even better for us working folk because less golf on Thursday means more on Saturday morning that I wasn't otherwise going to see. :)

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

This actually makes it even better for us working folk because less golf on Thursday means more on Saturday morning that I wasn't otherwise going to see. :)

So much this!

21 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 10.26.59 AM.png

38th in the world after the US Open last year. Looks like quite a fall to 147th. I saw an interview that he feels his game is good, but that he's just not "hitting the shots he needs to" or something like that. He said he's feeling the pressure now each week, whereas until now, he hasn't had to deal with a lot of hardship on the course.

I don't know how he can say his game feels good with that trainwreck of finishes. Not that I feel sorry for him. I'm not a Hunter Mahan fan, but the guy seemed like he had a lot of game and was moving in the right direction.

17 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Ever heard of Google?  JK ;)

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2016/6/17/11962086/us-open-tee-times-2016-groups-start-time-friday

Looks like they're confident that they can  at least get today's afternoon wake started today and be all caught up come Sunday.

Awesome, thanks.  Looks like my assumptions were correct.  Dunno why that info wasn't in the app, I just figured it hadn't been determined.  Google is my friend, even though they are in Obama's pocket.  Wait, did I type that or just think it?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Adam Scott, JD and smooth Oosty are out. Scott's looking good. Maybe Steve Williams will win another major.. :-)

EDIT: Just missed a birdie on the easiest hole on the course..

Vishal S.

3 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Adam Scott, JD and smooth Oosty are out. Scott's looking good. Maybe Steve Williams will win another major.. :-)

EDIT: Just missed a birdie on the easiest hole on the course..

That was cool- Day's caddie came over and cleaned Scott's ball for him after he putted from the fringe after his long bunker shot. Polished right up for a tap-in. Good sportsmanship, it looked like.

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 11.03.40 AM.png

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

4 minutes ago, RandallT said:

That was cool- Day's caddie came over and cleaned Scott's ball for him after he putted from the fringe after his long bunker shot. Polished right up for a tap-in. Good sportsmanship, it looked like.

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 11.03.40 AM.png

Yeah, I noticed too. ...

"Boss, don't forget me if you make this putt and then win the dang thing by a shot"...

Vishal S.

15 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I don't know how he can say his game feels good with that trainwreck of finishes. Not that I feel sorry for him. I'm not a Hunter Mahan fan, but the guy seemed like he had a lot of game and was moving in the right direction.

Henrik Stenson made a steeper fall a few years ago, only to come back stronger than he had ever been.

Perhaps Hunter has been under the impression he could fix his game with tools provided by Ace Hardware...

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Balls are grabbing the greens pretty good even from 2nd cut lies. Not sure how hard to adjust since they prepped for a lot more roll all week...

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Here is one of the greens measured my Mark Long who makes yardage books for the PGA Tour players. Here is the 16th green. That is a pretty severe green. 

Green.JPG

They are pretty cool - they've been showing them quite a lot on fox - more at his website http://longyardage.com/ including a video on YouTube about how he does them

I've been watching coverage on the iPad app which has been great but the feed seems to have gone down now :pound::-O

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

24 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Didn't @krupa and @xcott above mention these guys needed a level of delusion to persevere? :-)

• Upvote 1

My Swing

interesting to see them playing "out of turn", Matsy was closest to the hole but off the green, he hit first before the other two who were away.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!