IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

His nickname is "Beef," and with a name like that I feel like I know everything one needs to know about him.

The commentators were calling him beef yesterday.He had a big win at Valderrama earlier this year.

I received a push notification this morning that the "Gates" are closed to spectators this morning.....

That would be a bummer to have tickets and not be able to go watch.

What would be even more of a bummer would be not knowing and show up then find out.....

http://www.mcall.com/sports/golf/mc-us-open-weather-spectators-0617-20160617-story.html

OAKMONT, Pa. (AP) — Spectator gates are closed at the U.S. Open golf tournament following a night of heavy rain.

Play is set to resume at 7:30 a.m. Friday, but officials are assessing what to do about visitors.

Little more than half an inch of rain fell on Oakmont Country Club Thursday. The USGA says several passageways and parking lots are impassable.

The USGA expects to update the situation for spectators by 8 a.m. Friday.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Aguirre said:

My dad picked up me up at 9am this morning.  We wanted to wait until rush hour had died down.  Today, no parking pass.  So we parked at the Pittsburgh Mills mall and took the shuttle to Oakmont. I mean, the security, lol.  You'd think I was getting on an airplane.  I had to chug my water but was told that you can refill the bottle at the course. I never found out where that could happen.

Anyway, the course is only three miles away as the crow flies but due to Pittsburgh area topography and traffic we arrived 45 minutes later.  It was raining at this point and due to the fact that thunder was in the area they refused to unload us.  THEY THEN DROVE US ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE MALL AND MADE US GET OFF THE BUS.

We're trying to figure out what to do, and literally three minutes later we're told we can get back on the bus and drive back.  Terrific.  Traffic was lighter this time, only about a 30 minute drive. Eyeroll.

We checked out a few things at the entrance and then wandered onto the course.  As we approaching the gallery ropes on number 3, the whistle sounds.  Soon after, rain.

We positioned ourselves by the grandstand at No. 2 green and boom, got great seats at one of the best viewing spots on the course.  Waiting, waiting, waiting, storm hits suddenly.  We left.

I live 25 minutes from Oakmont. I left my house at 9am.  I didn't step onto the grounds until 11:45am, two hours and forty five minutes later.  We left the course somewhere after 2pm not having seen a single shot.  I didn't even SEE A SINGLE golfer.  

I'm going Saturday because I'm taking my nephews but this is probably it for me.  Love golf, love golf on TV, hate it as a spectator sport.

Nice wee report that.

I've only been to two tournaments,The scottish open at Gleneagles,back in days of yore(Tom Weiskopf played) and I also went to the Madrid open just to see Seve. I wouldn't mind going to a Major but I'm not going to bust my balls making the effort. Hope it goes better for you on Saturday.

33 minutes ago, Scotsclaff said:

Are they out yet?:hmm:

Live streams should be active now as play has resumed.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I turned on FS1 a couple of minutes ago. They're broadcasting live play right now.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Here is one of the greens measured my Mark Long who makes yardage books for the PGA Tour players. Here is the 16th green. That is a pretty severe green. 

Green.JPG

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Not sure what's going on with Rickie. Maybe having too much fun with his lady friend and not focusing as much on golf (which if I had a girl like that I'd have a hard time focusing too). 

Edited by ChrisP

10 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Not sure what's going on with Rickie. Maybe having too much fun with his lady friend and not focusing as much on golf (which if I had a girl like that I'd have a hard time focusing too). 

Rickie or Rory?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

6 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Rickie or Rory?

Rickie. Could be headed towards a third straight missed cut and another poor performance in a major. Rory at least has 4 majors to go home to....and a hot lady friend too.

Edited by ChrisP

happy to see Westwood up on the leaderboard.  I'm not convinced he can take it all, but glad he's in the mix.  Always struck me as a deserving kind of guy.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

19 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Rickie. Could be headed towards a third straight missed cut and another poor performance in a major. Rory at least has 4 majors to go home to....and a hot lady friend too.

I expect more out of both of them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

31 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Yeah, I was thinking about this last night. He is no less of a ball striker but I feel it takes a certain level of...for lack of better term.. ruthlessness and also a sense of entitlement (in a good way) to be consistently good enough to win a lot and even more so when it comes to majors. I am sure RF would take exception on me passing judgment here but I think the top three (JD, JS and RM) are way ahead of him in that type of mind set. I can't imagine their distractions are any less of distractions.

Having said that, RF's win at TPC last year was one of the best feel-good stories IMO and would love for him to break out with a major.

• Upvote 2

Vishal S.

I've been looking for the round 2 schedule and can't find it, maybe they're waiting until this wave is fully underway?

I'm guessing the wave today will play 36, the afternoon wave today will go out in the morning and they'll make the cut around noon then start round 3?

Can anyone confirm this?  Will any of the afternoon wave start today?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

to be a top level athelete you need to have a significant lack of self-awareness. You have to truly believe against all odds that you are better than everyone else. There is a level of delusion to it and you have to completely believe in it. To your point Fowler seems like the kind of guy who has a lot of self-awareness and is like a normal human being with the requisite doubts and realistic outlook. 

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!