Sign in to follow this  
colin007

2016 British Open at Royal Troon Discussion Thread

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

419 posts / 25401 viewsLast Reply

6 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Yep, would have looked something like this:

open59.png

Can't remember who it was yesterday who said this was a rubbish major championship, but they couldn't have been more wrong. Certainly the most entertaining final round I've ever watched (right up there with Turnberry 77 - although I haven't seen all of that due to my age) and the quality of golf was just outstanding - can't think of a better advert for the game. Shame one of them had to lose, but the way Henrik played the back nine and the par threes over the week is what won it for him. Delighted for the guy and as others have said, a great year for breakthrough major winners.

Edited by b101

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

49 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Have to factor in conditions. That's part of the game. That's part of links golf. If it were calm all 4 days, then scores prolly would have looked like Whistling last year when players tore it apart. But conditions were tough. And the fact Stenson was 14 shots better than the third place guy was amazing.

So what you are saying then is, if the conditions at Whistling had been like Troon. Then Troon is still way more trickier than Whisting? Whistling should have played easier if the conditions were better. Yet only one shot difference in the cut line and you say the players were tearing it apart.

33 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

So what you are saying then is, if the conditions at Whistling had been like Troon. Then Troon is still way more trickier than Whisting? Whistling should have played easier if the conditions were better. Yet only one shot difference in the cut line and you say the players were tearing it apart.

I'm simply saying Stensons -20 was more impressive than Day's -20, IMO.

Good quote by Feherty on the level of play:

I’m starting to feel a little guilty that I didn’t pay to get in to watch this.

I appreciated Phil's honesty at the end of his interview where he gave props to the R&A for setting up the course so the best talent that weekend could score versus the USGA's desire to keep the final score close to par.  Great tournament, kudos to the field and R&A!

30 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I appreciated Phil's honesty at the end of his interview where he gave props to the R&A for setting up the course so the best talent that weekend could score versus the USGA's desire to keep the final score close to par.  Great tournament, kudos to the field and R&A!

IMHO R&A did a great job in the course setup to keep some "honesty" in the layout.  Sure, there were a number of tees where players had to march back some 50 yards from the regular tips but with tour pros these days hitting 300-yard 3-woods and 150-yard wedges you have to put some extra length in the course.  Still, on a number of holes, we saw players hitting mid-irons to some of the greens and that hole number 11 was something else with the OB just a few feet from the green.  Also fun watching the antics on the "Postage Stamp" hole where you don't need an island green to make a short par 3 interesting.

All I can say is, "What a final round of golf in a major championship!" Everything you could hope for! Nobody folded. Nobody yakked! Just two guys giving it all they had! Point, counterpoint! Punch, counterpunch!

And kudos to NBC for basically ignoring everyone else in the field, other than giving them a nod on the final holes, and treating this as basically match play, which, for all intents and purposes, it was! The producer should get a raise also for putting both top on course commentators on the final group.

I was pulling for Phil (I'm a Yank, after all), but Stenson's golf, besides the first hole, was otherwordly!

Very entertaining final round! I'm glad Stenson came out on top and was able to break through with his first major. It seemed like Phil and Henrik were playing a different course than the rest of the field.

Stenson was 9 strokes better than the average score on the field. With 15-20 mph winds he hits 79% FIR and 89% GIR! 7 out of the last 9 holes are in the top 10 toughest holes on the course for the tournament and shoots 31. 

I think this round needs to go down as one of the best rounds of major championship golf ever played. 

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I'm simply saying Stensons -20 was more impressive than Day's -20, IMO.

I think you are right and I agree with that. I'm simply saying that if you put nasty weather at Whistling. It does not play as you say "A LOT"  less tricky than Troon.

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Stenson was 9 strokes better than the average score on the field. With 15-20 mph winds he hits 79% FIR and 89% GIR! 7 out of the last 9 holes are in the top 10 toughest holes on the course for the tournament and shoots 31. 

I think this round needs to go down as one of the best rounds of major championship golf ever played. 

Good observations. His round Saturday in even tougher conditions may have been it's equal. Just look at the way Steve Williams congratulated Stenson on the 18th at the end of that round.

34 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Good observations. His round Saturday in even tougher conditions may have been it's equal. Just look at the way Steve Williams congratulated Stenson on the 18th at the end of that round.

Correction, I meant his Round 2 score of 65 on Friday.

The 1 hour post game show on GC only showed bits from PM's presser. They did interview Stenson one on one at the end, and maybe it was timing but they should have shown Stenson's presser. 

The best final round play I've ever watched. Mickelson was great, but Stenson was just phenomenal. I don't think he had to use his wedge, other than par 5 third shots, all day. Amazing.

7 hours ago, natureboy said:

It's not even close to it's equal. 

Scoring Average by Round
Thursday: 71.96
Friday: 74.38
Saturday: 73.37
Sunday: 72.80

Stenson's rounds by strokes better than average
Friday: -3.96
Thursday: -9.38
Saturday: -5.37
Sunday: -9.80

If anything his Friday round was nearly equal to his Sunday round in terms of how tough the course played compared to the field. 

Best golf I've ever seen!.... And folks, this is The Open, not the British Open. Do you call The World Series The U.S. World Series?

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!