IGNORED

JDay, DJ, Others Pull out of Olympics, Rickie, Others Still Going

ZappyAd
Note: This thread is 2810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

56 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Roy just let it all out!

The guardian article

I have to agree with him on that, it might be short sighted, but he is in it for him self obviously.  Love how blunt he is.

Good for him.

I for one don't buy that sports personalities have a responsibility to "the game".  Do they have some responsibility to their sponsors who pay them?  Sure.  Do they have some responsibility to act as role models?  Maybe, but I think a lot of people take it too far.  Do they have a responsibility to be an "ambassador of the game"?  Heck no.  If the USGA or the PGA or other organizations that benefit materially from the growth of the game want to pay them, go for it.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Good for him.

I for one don't buy that sports personalities have a responsibility to "the game".  Do they have some responsibility to their sponsors who pay them?  Sure.  Do they have some responsibility to act as role models?  Maybe, but I think a lot of people take it too far.  Do they have a responsibility to be an "ambassador of the game"?  Heck no.  If the USGA or the PGA or other organizations that benefit materially from the growth of the game want to pay them, go for it.

I don't think it hurts for them to be role models but it's not their job overall.  

As far as growing the game, that's a blurry line.  Rory and others get paid by sponsors, some whom are in the business of selling golf apparel and equipment.  While their obligation might not be to the USGA or PGA Tour to grow the game (though for their own selfish reasons it should be) I'm not sure Nike was thrilled to hear that Rory doesn't feel it's his job to grow the game and represent Nike given all the money they pay him.   Growing the game to Nike means more consumers and golfers that could buy Nike gear.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

As far as growing the game, that's a blurry line.  Rory and others get paid by sponsors, some whom are in the business of selling golf apparel and equipment.  While their obligation might not be to the USGA or PGA Tour to grow the game (though for their own selfish reasons it should be) I'm not sure Nike was thrilled to hear that Rory doesn't feel it's his job to grow the game and represent Nike given all the money they pay him.   Growing the game to Nike means more consumers and golfers that could buy Nike gear.

That's a good point.

I was leaning toward agreeing with Rory, but now I'm back in the middle, or leaning the other way slightly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe it's said here before, but honestly I don't think it has a lot to do with Zika. It's a handy excuses. As far as I know none of the female golfers have withdrawn so far, while in fact the virus is potentially dangerous for them (when pregnant), not so much for men. Also there are pretty much no records of people to people transfer, so it's not like they are indangering their wives and gf's. There are other things in play as well (schedule, money, lack of history, travel etc.). No way all the big names would drop out because of 'Zika' when this was a really big tournament, good for a lot of points and fame. Nevertheless they are in their full right not to compete if they don't want to. I suspect though they are not completely honest about it. My 2 cents...

btw maybe a little offctopic, but a real shame they didn't make it a match-play style country-pairing tournament. That would be much more interesting to watch in my opinion, also (or most) for people who don't watch regularly golf. That would fit into the Olympics pretty good I guess, and maybe for the (big) players also more interesting.

~Jorrit

3 hours ago, bogdan101 said:

Just a thought: are these guys skipping the Olympics so they don't have to submit to performance enhancing drug tests?

It wouldn't be surprise if they were, but I am also assuming the PGA already does a pretty decent job in this department. Sometimes I am really bad about assuming stuff. :whistle: 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 hours ago, bogdan101 said:

Just a thought: are these guys skipping the Olympics so they don't have to submit to performance enhancing drug tests?

I suppose it's possible, but in part of Rory's interview he actually called for more diligence in this area by the PGA. One could speculate that this was to intentionally dispell these very allegations should they be true, but if he is using PED's and intends to continue them believing they are aiding his performance, I would have a hard time believing that he would advocate more thorough testing.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Anyways, I think it's refreshing to hear a young pro athlete, who are usually tiptoeing around being delicate trying to not hurt anyone's feelings, just come out and basically say he doesn't want to and he doesn't care. I like Rory. Is it good for him or his sponsors or Olympic golf in general? Prolly not, but in the long run it won't matter.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

5 hours ago, Silent said:

Maybe it's said here before, but honestly I don't think it has a lot to do with Zika. It's a handy excuses. As far as I know none of the female golfers have withdrawn so far, while in fact the virus is potentially dangerous for them (when pregnant), not so much for men. Also there are pretty much no records of people to people transfer, so it's not like they are indangering their wives and gf's. There are other things in play as well (schedule, money, lack of history, travel etc.). No way all the big names would drop out because of 'Zika' when this was a really big tournament, good for a lot of points and fame. Nevertheless they are in their full right not to compete if they don't want to. I suspect though they are not completely honest about it. My 2 cents...

Both of these statements are wrong. There has been one woman withdraw and there are records of person to person transfer of the virus.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

26 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Both of these statements are wrong. There has been one woman withdraw and there are records of person to person transfer of the virus.

Ther has also been a death recorded in Utah wher the Zika virus was a contributing factor. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I don't think it hurts for them to be role models but it's not their job overall.  

Then Nike should put applicable playing/representation clauses in the contract with Rory. Otherwise, he doesn't owe them or anybody else squat (IMO).

I admire Rory for having the balls to tell it like he feels it is.

9 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I am sure Rory isn't thrilled when Nike drags him across the world to do events not associated with him directly winning majors. I get it, the money from Nike frees up the worry about having to use golf as a job. Still, I am sure he feels like he's doing what Nike asks him to do as described in his contract. For me, as long as it's not violating a contractual obligation with Nike then Nike doesn't have a say in it. . 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

To me the 'growing the game' comments from Rory aren't the most problematic here...it was his 'stuff that matters' comment saying that he will only be watching things like track and field in the Olympics and implying that golf in the games doesn't matter.

I for one have mixed feelings about golf in the Olympics and just as a fan of the PGA tour am a bit annoyed at how the Olympics are messing up the typical summer schedule (I don't like change :-P)...that said, for Rory and anyone who works directly or indirectly in the game of golf, they should care and want golf in the Olympics. It truly does help grow the sport in a tangible way as Olympic nations provide direct funding to golf programs/courses if it's in the Olympics.

46 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Then Nike should put applicable playing/representation clauses in the contract with Rory. Otherwise, he doesn't owe them or anybody else squat (IMO).

I admire Rory for having the balls to tell it like he feels it is.

More than likely, he wouldn't be sporting Nike anyway, much like the Cup events.  Unless the Irish team or IGF contracted with Nike to provide Olympic gear.  So, no impact to Nike.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I didn't say there were no records at all, just that they are rare. If one women withdraw then I was wrong, but to be fair I said 'as far as I know'. But honestly, my point doesn't change much when just 1 women withdrew, does it? You might say it kinf of proves my point that Zika is by far not the only reason not to go and there are other factors in play as well.... they just don't care that much about the Olympics, they don't get paid and it doesn't fit their schedule. And I can understand all that. 

~Jorrit

I think there are many events that don't belong in the games, and golf is one of them, so I do agree with Rory, I just don't agree with how he said it, it's degrading to the game and he will regret it.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how many people are going to go to work today and tell their boss that my reason for being here is to grow the industry.  Not to win contracts and make money for the company, or myself, but to make the industry more accessible to everyone else so more people will be out there competing with us.  I don't want any sales awards or performance bonuses, I want my legacy to be that I opened up the industry to everyone.

Now after a person is past his/her prime and retired, I completely understand growing the industry, being a mentor, etc.  That is the time to grow the game with altruistic endeavors.

After listening to Brandel Chamblee I wonder if he was one of the individuals who worked tirelessly to get golf into the Olympics.  He took it a little too personal.  Also his thoughts that putting golf into the Olympics would somehow make is less expensive, less exclusionary, less slow, less difficult to understand the rules are pretty much out of touch with reality.  There will be nothing that is broadcast of Olympic golf that will change any of that.  The Olympics have had equestrian events for years, but I don't see how that has made the sport any more inclusive.  Not too much growing going on when you have to drop $100K on a horse to compete at that level.

John

Edited by 70sSanO
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

I wonder how many people are going to go to work today and tell their boss that my reason for being here is to grow the industry.  Not to win contracts and make money for the company, or myself, but to make the industry more accessible to everyone else so more people will be out there competing with us.  I don't want any sales awards or performance bonuses, I want my legacy to be that I opened up the industry to everyone.

Now after a person is past his/her prime and retired, I completely understand growing the industry, being a mentor, etc.  That is the time to grow the game with altruistic endeavors.

After listening to Brandel Chamblee I wonder if he was one of the individuals who worked tirelessly to get golf into the Olympics.  He took it a little too personal.  Also his thoughts that putting golf into the Olympics would somehow make is less expensive, less exclusionary, less slow, less difficult to understand the rules are pretty much out of touch with reality.  There will be nothing that is broadcast of Olympic golf that will change any of that.  The Olympics have had equestrian events for years, but I don't see how that has made the sport any more inclusive.  Not too much growing going on when you have to drop $100K on a horse to compete at that level.

John

I agree with your premise but I learned today that Ghana has funded golf programs in their country because it became an Olympic event.  I'm sure quite a number of other countries did the same.  So, Olympic golf is already making golf more accessible to many, and would be enhanced by the top 4 players in the world participating.

Having said that, Rio is a dangerous place and I blame no one for opting out.  I don't think it has anything to do with not being paid, at this level these guys just don't need it.  

• Upvote 2

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 2810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!