IGNORED

What is your birdie conversion rate from GIR?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My year to date GIR % is 41.8%. I've made 89 birdies in the 1494 holes I have played this year, which is 6%.

6%/41.8% = 14% of my GIR result in birdies.

I love keeping stats.....unfortunately I have 262 doubles this year (18%) :pound:

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I try my damndest to avoid girs and go for ngirs as referenced in Lowest Score Wins book. A gir just guarantees a three putt. A ngir means I might chip in for birdie or hit a wedge in tight enough to make a putt for par! I wish I was joking but its a sad truth.

Today prime example: 2 gir, three putted them both for the only three putts of the day. As usual

Edited by stealthhwk
Added example

Mine is 12.5%. I have 184 GIR and 23 birdies this year. Maybe one or two of those is a putt from the fringe or a chip in, but that's close enough estimate for me. If you include eagles, it goes to 13%.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I have no idea, but I assume it's a pretty low, single digit percentage. Heck, I don't get many gir as it is. I rely on lots of pars, and bogie 1s for my low 80, high 70 scores. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Using stats from last 12 rounds (since I started using Swing x Swing), I'm at a dismal 7%. But...I'm confident this will improve.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 8/28/2016 at 8:09 AM, iacas said:

I don't know what you're asking. I'm about a +1 right now according to GAME GOLF. Pros don't keep handicap indexes.

Why don't they?You mean this massively complicated proprietary algorithm is only for us amateurs?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

16 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Why don't they?You mean this massively complicated proprietary algorithm is only for us amateurs?

Because amateurs compete typically in events that use handicap adjustments to equalize the field whereas pros tend to play in events that are scratch so handicap is irrelevant. Plus they also tend to score at or below par so adjusting backwards to par doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Because amateurs compete typically use handicap adjustments to equalize the field whereas pros tend to play in events that are scratch so handicap is irrelevant. Plus they also tend to score at or below par so adjusting backwards to par doesn't make sense.

The first part makes sense.

Not sure about "tend to score at or below par". Seems like many don't.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Just now, gregsandiego said:

The first part makes sense.

Not sure about "tend to score at or below par". Seems like many don't.

You don't think most pros score at or below par most of the time? The only reason I say "most" is because pro also includes range pro's who don't really play or are not really that good but just declare themselves a pro.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

There are a decent amount of pros who keep handicaps.  Google it.  Phil for sure does.  I think Bubba does too.  I found something like 25 of them a couple years back without much effort.

John

29 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I'd like to hear a pro chime in on that question.  My guess is they don't want people to "rate" their ability to teach based on a HI.

Wow I suck! According to game golf I have 19% GIR and only 2% birdies, I'm a 19 hdc on game golf, I dont know how close that is to the real handicap numbers, probably fairly close.

6 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I'd like to hear a pro chime in on that question.  My guess is they don't want people to "rate" their ability to teach based on a HI.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about pga tour pros.

11 minutes ago, Slowcelica said:

I'm pretty sure they are talking about pga tour pros.

Not really.  See post #4 and #11.

PGA pros were mentioned later and was a bit off topic.  This is all off topic.

How are you all doing the calculation.

From Game Golf classic how does one figure out a birdie conversion rate.

The only way I know how to see my GIR is if I link in on the "Check out my Game" from a post on this site, but that is only for the last 20 rounds.

The scoring tab doesn't give me a last 20 rounds choice.

10 birdies in my last 15 rounds, 38% greens in regulation for my last 20.  I can't even extrapolate, some of those birdies where not greens in regulation.

1 hour ago, gregsandiego said:

A lot of us play in tournaments where handicap isn't used.  But, If I play in any course member event or tournament, I will always play as a 0 when in fact I play more closely to a 3 in bigger events.  I don't know why its a 0 for all pros except that, like iacas said, most of us don't actually keep an index, and we all play around par/better anyway.  Or its just because we are too lazy to keep an accurate index. :-D

As to the OP, I average 2 to 3 birdies a round and 12 to 14 greens. So somewhere between 15% and 25%.  I don't keep my stats, so I don't have an accurate number for you.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

10 birdies in my last 15 rounds, 38% greens in regulation for my last 20.  I can't even extrapolate, some of those birdies where not greens in regulation.

You made 10 birdies out of your last 270 holes (15 rounds x 18 holes), or about 3.7%.  If your GIR stayed the same, that puts you at about 10% birdies per GIR.  

I don't keep stats like that, but I probably average between one and two birdies per round, probably closer to one.  As a guess, I probably hit around half the greens, which would put me just over 10% conversion.  I just had 2 rounds over the past weekend where I made 8 birdies, and hit 23 or 24 greens, which would lead to some kind of ridiculous conversion rate of 33% or more, but that's not really a normal result for me.

Last, club pros play at scratch when they play in sanctioned tournaments of any kind.  Some are better players than others, obviously, and if they calculated a USGA handicap they might end up anywhere from +3 or +4 to 3 or 4 the other way.  To advance in the PGA ranks, they have to pass a Play Ability Test to document a certain minimum level of playing skill, but they don't have to be able to play to scratch.  I'm sure some keep handicap calculations, and others don't.  I know I can play one of our assistants pretty close to even, but I'd want 2 or 3 more than my handicap if I played the other, he's really that good.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!