IGNORED

Your biggest miss?

TryingtoPlay
Note: This thread is 2752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What shot in the game of golf is the miss that is most endemic and does the most damage to your game?  Not what your worst shot is. Most low handicap players that I have seen are still capable of hitting the occasional mind-bogglingly bad shot, like a shank for example, but rather the shot that does the most damage to your game? Hook, slice, pull e.t.c.?

The old straight right shank.  It causes more penalty strokes than any other miss.  I never had an issue with shanks until I went through a couple of weeks this summer where I hit a ton of them.  Ironed out the problem, but every now and then it rears its ugly head and it usually seems to pop up when there is trouble right.

I also have been known to hit a nasty pull hook or push slice (depending on the day), but I never have any real issues playing those on most holes.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My usual shot shape is a baby draw.  The one that does the most harm for me is a push fade that seems to come out of nowhere.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Push slice with my driver. Basically blocking it off the heel. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Pull from 90-120 yards. Can pull that baby 25 yards left. Can do it when pitching or knocking down or hitting a full swing. Guess what my next lesson is on ;)

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

It is interesting to hear the comments here. My natural shot is the pull-fade and hence my misses are the pull-slice, which is just a devastating shot and the pull which surfaces primarily with my short irons and wedges. It is funny because the slice has a reputation (probably justifiably so) for being the miss of the very poor player.

The worst shot for me is (surprise!) when I slice the driver out of bounds. I pick up more penalty strokes this way than any other way. 

Hooking irons or driver while trying to hit my normal fade. It always happens when i slide a foot and don´t let the hands release.
Happened this month in the mid-amateur championship. Hole 2, 1 under for the round, Par 3 190 yards, OB left. Ended with a triple bogey.
Have to change my shoes.  

31 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

The worst shot for me is (surprise!) when I slice the driver out of bounds. I pick up more penalty strokes this way than any other way. 

The slice is just such a devastating miss for your game. It is a shot that I really have to eliminate from my game. I am an incredibly inconsistent player, to the point where I can be hitting a beautiful high fade and start to go pin hunting for several holes, having several looks at birdie in a row and then within the next several holes be almost unable to hit the ball without hitting a horrendous slice. I am so inconsistent that it is not abnormal for me to go something like par, birdie, par, birdie, par, quad, quad, quad in an eight hole stretch.

Edited by TryingtoPlay

16 minutes ago, TryingtoPlay said:

The slice is just such a devastating miss for your game. It is a shot that I really have to eliminate from my game.

A run of the mill slice is something I can actually live with (though it'll be an annoying existence).  A push slice is probably the most off line I ever get with a shot (even more than a shank due to distance) as it starts right and goes further right.  Luckily those are so rare that when they do pop up they usually aren't in a spot where it causes me trouble.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

A pull hook.

Not an "into the left rough" pull hook.

Not a "maim someone in the adjacent fairway" pull hook.

A full-out, "kill a puppy in the yard of a house across the freeway left of the adjacent fairway" pull hook.

Okay, maybe that's a (slight) exaggeration, but it sure feels that way when i hit it.  Especially when I've been playing well up to that point, and proceed to nail my re-tee right down Broadway...playing just dandy until it suddenly rears its head again 8 holes later. ;-)

BamaWade

• Upvote 3

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Depends on what day it is. I never worry about shanking a putt, though. Some days driver is spot on and a nasty pull hook will creep into the mid to short irons. Next time around it's the driver that will shotgun all over the place, but once I'm back in the fairway (eventually) I can drill the irons spot on. 

But overall, it is the snap hook when trying to dial back a notch off the tee. As mentioned before, I cant "do" a 3/4 driver swing. 

When I absolutely miss the ball so badly that I hit it off the heel on the tee that it goes so far left and only rolls about 20 yds. I do that one or two times during a round. It's usually on the back 9 when my lower back starts to act up. I usually hit a cut for a drive and that's okay because I've learned how to play it. I played my old home course with the water on the right and managed to stay out of it even playing the cut.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

19 hours ago, BamaWade said:

A pull hook.

Not an "into the left rough" pull hook.

Not a "maim someone in the adjacent fairway" pull hook.

A full-out, "kill a puppy in the yard of a house across the freeway left of the adjacent fairway" pull hook.

Okay, maybe that's a (slight) exaggeration, but it sure feels that way when i hit it.  Especially when I've been playing well up to that point, and proceed to nail my re-tee right down Broadway...playing just dandy until it suddenly rears its head again 8 holes later. ;-)

BamaWade

:-D That's my miss too! It usually takes me a few holes to recover from the mental scars.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My big miss is a slice, typically off the tee.  I am an accurate driver but every now and again I have the urge to "put a little extra on it."  All too often the results are a predictable banana ball into the next fairway (if lucky) or bordering forest (if unlucky). :fk

Brian Kuehn

Mine is a wild ass hook off the tee with my driver. It happens every once in while, usually at the beginning of my round, in cooler weather, when I don't warm up properly.

It usually costs me a stroke, sometimes two, depending where it went, and the lie I need to hit off of. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!