IGNORED

Match Play or Stroke Play?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Match Play or Stroke Play?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Your tournament preference, 18 holes against a person you do not know in match play or 18 against the field in stroke play?

• Match Play
    • Stroke Play
    • Can't Choose - Please explain

You are faced with an important competitive situation - stroke play tournament, team match play event, or a one & done match. Which format do you prefer and why?  This is not a match or tournament with a group of friends or acquaintances; there is going to be a loser and disappointment or winner and joy.  

As I mentioned elsewhere, having experienced each of the choices, I prefer stroke play and essentially playing against the course.  Looking someone in the eye and trying to figuratively step on his throat on the course is not my preference. Match play gets too personal for me.  If it is friends playing for a small wager, no problem.  Otherwise, I feel a bit uncomfortable, beyond the normal competitive pressures.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Match play.

Mano a mano...!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For me, its stroke play. I get a bit nervous in competitive play, but in stroke play, it gives me the ability to sort of block out the other player and play against a known - the course. Also, with the course, you always have the "next" time and often can pinpoint what you need to work on, you can remember the troublesome holes e.t.c.   In match play, you either win or lose. Its then all over. I probably should qualify this however, in that to the best of my knowledge, I have not competed in a match play round. I have competed against friends in stroke play with my either giving or receiving strokes in accordance with handicap calculation.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Match play. An occasional blow-up hole hurts much less in match than in stroke play.

And, it's easier to stay focused on the round if I'm playing against one person rather than 60.

• Upvote 2

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Definitely match play for a golfer like myself with a 17 HCP.  I have quite a few good holes in a round but a few doubles or worse blow up my score. A 7 on a par 4 and I lose 1 hole.

When I was playing competitively I loved stroke play. In Match play you can blow up on three or four holes and it only affects those four holes. Do that in stroke play and you more than likely will lose. I was a pretty steady player and could do well against streaky players. 

Match play for me 100%. Given my issues I'm more likely to have a couple really bad holes which would kill me in stroke play but would only cost me those holes in match play. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I voted "can't choose" simply because it doesn't matter to me which I play. I do have to say it's been quite a while since I have played in any serious, competitive tournaments. 

When I did play in competitive, amateur tournaments, I never thought about the other players. I just focused on course management, and my own game. Those were the only two things I had control of. What the other players did was of no consequence to me.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Match play.......

Cuz if you have a blow up hole from the start.... it's not going to kill your chances....  and with match play you will figure out your opponent usually within the first couple of holes.... 

• Upvote 1

It is what it is

1 hour ago, Patch said:

When I did play in competitive, amateur tournaments, I never thought about the other players. I just focused on course management, and my own game. Those were the only two things I had control of. What the other players did was of no consequence to me.

I assume you played exclusively stroke play tournaments...?

In match play, what your opponent does, can be extremely important to your decision making.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'd say match play, although I've never played competitively (and probably never will).

I like the direct competition aspect of it, and I think my demeanor would give me an advantage.

- John

Matchplay if it's team against team. But I also like to play against the field. 

Playing strokeplay is a good way to get better at course management. You learn it the hard way when you score an 11 on a par 4, the lesson will stick. But its no fun for higher handicaps.

9 hours ago, David L Yskes said:

Match play.......

Cuz if you have a blow up hole from the start.... it's not going to kill your chances....  and with match play you will figure out your opponent usually within the first couple of holes.... 

Match play for the reason above. I don't get to play it enough, but I like it better. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

21 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

You are faced with an important competitive situation - stroke play tournament, team match play event, or a one & done match. Which format do you prefer and why?  This is not a match or tournament with a group of friends or acquaintances; there is going to be a loser and disappointment or winner and joy.  

As I mentioned elsewhere, having experienced each of the choices, I prefer stroke play and essentially playing against the course.  Looking someone in the eye and trying to figuratively step on his throat on the course is not my preference. Match play gets too personal for me.  If it is friends playing for a small wager, no problem.  Otherwise, I feel a bit uncomfortable, beyond the normal competitive pressures.

The most commonly played game in the UK is Stableford. I voted match play, because a few bad early holes in stroke play, and the game is ruined.

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Match Play - to me, it's just more fun.  You don't get blown out by a bad hole or 2 and the match can end once it becomes impossible for one player to win.  It has a more competitive feel, to me, as well. 

I just like golf, and competition.  Given a choice, I prefer match play.  I prefer to face my competition.  For me, match play is much more relaxed, as many others have said, one or two bad holes usually doesn't decide the whole thing.  Stroke play events are more nerve-wracking, but fun in a different kind of way.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!