IGNORED

Withdrew during a club championship tournament ...

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I was in the year ending two day club championship tournament.  One of the foursome since hole #1 has been talking loud about anything and everything.  He'd only stop talking just before someone/he takes a swing.    It bothered me and my partner a bit but we played on.   Then, after 5th or 6th hole, he started talking about politics as if we all had same view as he has (about Obama, Trump, Hilary).   My cart partner finally told him that his body gets tighten up if people are talking politics.   The guy didn't get the hint.   He kept on talking.   On that same hole, I hit an OB.   A friend who was waiting behind my group asked me how things are going and I made a joke about the guy talking about politics ("I was doing fine until XYZ start talking about politics").   As soon as I told the joke, the guy got really upset and told me that it was my fault that I hit an OB and he can talk about anything he can.   What?   It was a joke, dude.   I wasn't even upset as I have no realistic chance at winning the tournament.  He was joking, and talking all this time and all of sudden, he got upset at me for a joke?  On the next hole, I hit another OB and called it a day.   It was too awkward for me to continue playing with this guy.   As I walked away from the field, the other two golfers shook hands with me but the guy in question was walking away to hit his 2nd ball.   Oh, well.   

If it was that bad, I might have been tempted to take a 2 stroke penalty and point out one of his "swing faults", not a real one, just make up something so I could watch the blow up over the next several holes as he tried to fix it. Something his wrist position at the top of his backswing, like he's cupping it too much or is coming slightly over the top, even if he's not. Or that he's bringing his right heel off the ground too early or too late. Just something to throw off his timing.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

some might speculate that this was mere "gamesmanship".  Personally, I do not think it proper to employ it in this sport, but I would wager there are those who would take advantage in any way they can. It is not clear that was the intent in this case. The guy probably did not consider that his remarks would bother any one, but when he was called on it, he got defensive.  Lee Trevino used to annoy the heck out of those he was playing with. Again, I do not think it was intentional, but merely his personality.  Recently, during play, someone pointed out that I needed to mark my ball. I replied, yes, that was the general idea and proceeded to do so. Later he apologized, but needlessly as I really did not even give it a thought at the time.  I respect his feeling he needed to however. There may have been something in my tone that he may have thought I was annoyed.  I wasn't in the least.  The fact that two shots were OB, may or may not have been borne out of frustration, or not being able to focus. Perhaps not on a conscious level, but also may in fact have given an excuse. I certainly have no way of knowing.  As for me, I would have continued play. If I thought the other player was a jerk, so be it, but just to try and recover asap. The OP already acknowledged he had no way of winning, and it was the 2nd day, ergo, the outcome would not have changed, so no reason to quit.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I don't think he talked about politics on purpose other than just trying to display how smart he is on politics. He just liked to talk. When me and my cart partner pushed back, he snapped.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Too bad you didn't have earbuds.   Easy way to tune someone out and send a message just how little you care about his opinions.

John

6 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

When playing is no longer fun, there is no point in continuing. I understand your decision.  I have had the unfortunate luck to have a few buttheads in my tournament groups.  So far I have managed to tune them out but if it got bad enough, I would walk in too.

The problem with walking away is you're letting someone else screw up your tournament. I might do something else like ask him switch groups.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

If you were out of contention and it was no longer enjoyable, I can understand walking off the course. I have done that myself, though when I've had to withdraw it's because I get migraines and the sunlight causes searing pain. In your case you had an obnoxious partner, and I have left mid-round (not in tournaments, just because marshals at tournaments are usually pretty good to shut that stuff down) when people get obnoxious. When you're already down and out there's no reason to keep getting punished in the ring (in terms of dealing with someone who is making the experience unpleasant).

I would also recommend that, should something like that come up again, you approach the issue with the same tact as the person who won't shut up, especially if they are talking during/near strokes. A simple, "Hey, I'd appreciate it if you toned down the conversation to allow for us to play without distraction." often times works wonders when compared to a more subtle approach. You may be viewed as a bit of a hard-@$$ by him or others in your group (depending on the group consensus regarding the chatterbox), but it's a tournament that you paid to play in. If it were a weekend round it would be one thing, and you could join another group, but you're out there to compete and the other person is hindering your ability to do so. If it distracts you, do what you can to eliminate the distraction because prevention is still a part of overall mental toughness. 

That said, if you were in contention I would've recommended that you stay regardless of the playing partner. When you get knocked down at the top of your competitive game, the only way to learn how to bounce back from something like that is to fight through it. My best tournament finish of the year came when I was tied for the lead after day one and, on the second day, started to get a migraine on the third teebox. I played holes 3, 4, and 5 while blind because auras suck, to the point where I had to have my fellow competitors literally grab my shoulders to face me directly towards the green before I went to address the ball so I had a reference of where to aim. I didn't play my best golf that day, which wasn't entirely the fault of the migraine (I actually played the 3 blind holes at even par!), but it's the competitive round I take the most pride in since I still eked out a 74 on a day where I normally would've been forced to withdraw for medical reasons.

I have to admit, I don't get it. We have had guys walk out on our weekend Proam's midround. They get suspended from competition for a month. Life is not always fun/fair. Learn to deal with it.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

There's more to the story than the above.   I've posted it and then deleted it b/c I don't think it was appropriate.   He was talking about politics which upset both me and my cart partner.   Politics is better left alone than bring it in the club championship tournament.   Imagine ... hearing stuff about Obama, Clinton, Trump, supreme court in tee box AND as you know, Americans are deeply divided in this.   So, his going off on political talks while not understanding what others' view are ....   

Then, I don't deny that I wasn't playing well.  Neither was he.   I think he got upset at my joke after my cart partner pushed him back in the tee box.   

I don't understand why people get so worked up about politics myself. I've let outside influences get in my head while golfing before though, so I can understand the desire to remove yourself from the situation. That said, I don't have the money to not finish a round/tournament that I paid for regardless of my play/enjoyment level. It would have to be excessively bad for me to walk off. Hell, I'd have a hard time even if it were free just because I'm a glutton for punishment :-P... The way my golf game is the next hole could have been the best hole I ever played and it would completely turn my attitude around. 

All that said, if you felt that it was best for you to walk off then nobody else is in any position to tell you otherwise. The only thing I would say is it's good to learn to block out these things if you intend on playing a lot of tournaments, because if people learn that you are affected by such things some may employ this tactic while playing against you. Obviously, you can that that with a grain of salt since I'm not exactly a frequent tournament golfer *yet*.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm with @Club Rat, I'd suggest a simple polite rebuttal, lie "I'd rather not talk politics while I'm playing", pretty much as soon as he starts to annoy you, rather than letting your frustration build.  I'd hate to quit tournament play simply because of a "personality conflict" with my fellow competitor.  Without being there, I can't know what it was like, so I won't make a judgement about what you chose to do.

7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

The problem with walking away is you're letting someone else screw up your tournament. I might do something else like ask him switch groups.

Sadly, ear buds aren't allowed.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

At the end of the day, it's your recreation, your money and your time. You can do whatever you want.

Personally, I'd have a tough time walking on a Club Championship. One of the skills of golf, is being able to tune out the opponent. I'm not very good at it, but its something I'm working on along with the more basic aspects swinging the golf club.

28 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm with @Club Rat, I'd suggest a simple polite rebuttal, lie "I'd rather not talk politics while I'm playing", pretty much as soon as he starts to annoy you, rather than letting your frustration build.  I'd hate to quit tournament play simply because of a "personality conflict" with my fellow competitor.  Without being there, I can't know what it was like, so I won't make a judgement about what you chose to do.

Sadly, ear buds aren't allowed.

After 16.5 years of marriage, I've learned how to tune things out and go into my own little world. It proves to be invaluable on the golf course. 

- Shane

13 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

That sucks. I'm assuming this was something you were looking forward to.

I can't imagine that this situation would annoy me enough to make me quit a round of golf...but, at the same time, if it's no longer enjoyable for you, then what's the point?

He quit when it stopped being enjoyable. Hell, there are folks I know who should do this, instead of cursing and grumbling their way through a round that they are clearly not enjoying.

Sorry, but it wasn't just a round, but it was a tournament round, and walking out on a tournament just because you aren't playing up to your expectations is never going to be the right way to go.  

I've had some less than stellar tournament rounds, and I've had the occasional pain in the ass playing competitor.  I suck it up and play on.  The only time I've ever withdrawn from a tournament was when I was physically unable to play, and even then I finished out that round (shot a 104) and withdrew before starting the second round.

• Upvote 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Why do people talk politics on the golf course?!?!?  I will say it would bug the hell out of me too...I hate politics to begin with and when I go out on the golf course it is to get away from all of that crap.  I would have said something like "Can we not talk about politics on the course please" or something to that effect so he knew that you were not ok with it.  If he didn't respond to that then I would have said it again but been a little more "aggressive" in the delivery. 

If it did happen though, it would not be enough to make me walk off the course, even if I thought it was making me play poorly.  I would use it as a moment to try to fuel myself and turn my game around and block it out, mental toughness if you will.  That being said, that is me, and you are not me so I will not tell you that you were in the wrong walking off the course.  Like others have said, the game isn't putting food on our tables, and if your two or more hours of time could be better spent elsewhere its your choice. 

13 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

There's more to the story than the above.   I've posted it and then deleted it b/c I don't think it was appropriate.   He was talking about politics which upset both me and my cart partner.   Politics is better left alone than bring it in the club championship tournament.   Imagine ... hearing stuff about Obama, Clinton, Trump, supreme court in tee box AND as you know, Americans are deeply divided in this.   So, his going off on political talks while not understanding what others' view are ....   

Then, I don't deny that I wasn't playing well.  Neither was he.   I think he got upset at my joke after my cart partner pushed him back in the tee box.   

If you don't like the topic then first ask, then if he doesn't take the hint, tell him to shut up.  I don't like talking politics most of the time either, and that would definitely be true if I'm playing in a tournament.  There is possible recourse if he doesn't accede to your request.  Rule 1-4 allows for the committee to take action against a player who makes a serious breach of etiquette, which is what this sounds like.

But my first act would be to ask him to keep his politics to himself.  Tell him straight out that I don't want to talk about it, and I don't care what his opinions about it are.

9 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Too bad you didn't have earbuds.   Easy way to tune someone out and send a message just how little you care about his opinions.

John

Not allowed in competition.

• Upvote 4

Rick

I can now see why ear buds are not allowed because someone could be getting advice, course info, or other input to help.

But are ear plugs allowed in a tournament?

John

26 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

I can now see why ear buds are not allowed because someone could be getting advice, course info, or other input to help.

But are ear plugs allowed in a tournament?

John

Any unusual equipment which might help you in your play is not allowed.  If the ear plugs are solely to cut out distractions so that you can concentrate and play better, then they would not be allowed.  Even though Decision 14-3/17 only refers to listening to music, it includes the words "by eliminating distractions".  In some cases that could conceivably be stretched to include such unusual equipment as ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones.  

Distractions are considered part of the game, and as such, dealing with some distractions while playing is a necessary skill. 

• Upvote 1

Rick

4 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Sorry, but it wasn't just a round, but it was a tournament round, and walking out on a tournament just because you aren't playing up to your expectations is never going to be the right way to go.  

No, he appeared to be walking out on a tournament round because he was really not enjoying the experience it provided for him. I don't see why you people are faulting him for that.

It's his money on the tournament, not yours. If he decided that it wasn't worth continuing to play, for one reason or another, than that's his decision to make. He didn't find it enjoyable for a variety of reasons, none of which need to meet your standards for withdrawing from a tournament because you weren't the one playing.

Some people are more competitive than others, I get that (I know that I myself am extremely competitive), but that doesn't mean that you get to apply your standards to every other golfer in a tournament situation. Other golfers are more concerned about having fun with the game, and if it isn't fun for them you shouldn't be blaming them for not continuing to play.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

No, he appeared to be walking out on a tournament round because he was really not enjoying the experience it provided for him. I don't see why you people are faulting him for that.

It's his money on the tournament, not yours. If he decided that it wasn't worth continuing to play, for one reason or another, than that's his decision to make. He didn't find it enjoyable for a variety of reasons, none of which need to meet your standards for withdrawing from a tournament because you weren't the one playing.

Some people are more competitive than others, I get that (I know that I myself am extremely competitive), but that doesn't mean that you get to apply your standards to every other golfer in a tournament situation. Other golfers are more concerned about having fun with the game, and if it isn't fun for them you shouldn't be blaming them for not continuing to play.

I agree with this, but at the same time, he did start a thread on it, after all.  I would infer from that that he would like others opinions on the situation, and while some of us might have been careless with phrasing (saying "you should've" instead of "I would've", for example), we're all just trying to explain what'd we'd do and why.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!