IGNORED

What's Your Favorite Grip and Grip Size?

Note: This thread is 2684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've tried a few since I generally buy used clubs.  I started with Tour Velvets, but I have tried multi-compound, full cords, wraps, basic rubber, super tack, etc.  However, I've settled on Golf Pride CP2 Wraps and Pros in midsize.  They're very soft and tacky, but what I like most is the lack of taper.

What do you guys and gals prefer?

• Upvote 1

I was a GP Tour Wrap .58 guy for the longest time before they changed to the new style. The old ones lasted for the longest time and one wipe kept them tacky. The new style just didn't hold up. I finally found the Lamkin REL Ace grips (grey) and found them to be tacky, had a nice feel, had more shock absorption and came in .58. I don't wear a glove and these grips do the trick. I go with the .58 for a slightly oversized feel, which many OEMs put on their better offerings. The .600s are just a hair too thin.  

Edited by TourSpoon

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I like UST Mamiya Tour PC 360's.  I have them on 2 sets.  I also like Lamkin REL 3GEN's.  I got those for a steal with 30 grips for $15 on a close out deal.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Winn Dri-Tac, Standard, dark gray (with the red cap) for me.  Love 'em.  But I'm going to need to buy gripping tools and start doing them myself, soon, as my local shop has jacked the price to $9 per grip (includes install), which is silly-high.

BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Ive been using the Golf pride multi compound for 10 years. With two extra wraps on the bottom part of the grip. But those grips are getting obnoxiously expensive, especially in stores. I'm probably going to switch to another grip i re do my set if i can find something i like. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, BamaWade said:

Winn Dri-Tac, Standard, dark gray (with the red cap) for me.  Love 'em.  But I'm going to need to buy gripping tools and start doing them myself, soon, as my local shop has jacked the price to $9 per grip (includes install), which is silly-high.

BamaWade

My league partner has the Winn Dri-Tac on his irons. The mid-size version.  They are so soft and 'sticky.'  I'm going to try one on my around the green wedge for next season.  If I really like them, I'll probably regrip a couple more clubs (fairway woods) then possibly go full set after my current grips wear out.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

My game really improved when I went to a midsize Winn Excel and later Winn DSI.  But I was really disappointed in their durability and I tried out some Karma Ultra light that never felt right.  I then found GolfPride MCC plus 4 on Amazon for a deal and added a few more wraps of take under the lower hand to take out almost all of the taper.  I probably should pick up some more of these next time I find a deal as they are both comfortable and secure in my hand, and so far seem pretty durable.

I use the Iomic X-Evolution grips, standard core size, with one extra wrap of tape.  The Iomic grips may be the most expensive out there, but they stay "tacky" basically forever.  Mine are now two years old on my irons, and still feel great.  In the rain, with proper rain gloves, I NEVER feel my grip slip.  Second choice, the Pure DTX grip I had installed last September in Phoenix.  So far, its holding up really well, and still have good feel and grip, even on wet days.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I've been using midsize for about five years. I seem to get better (i.e., less) grip pressure with a slightly thicker grip.

On wedges, I usually put three extra wraps under the low hand to decrease taper when I choke down.

I have used Wynn Dri-Soft for awhile, but these are starting to feel a bit spongy compared to other grips I've felt on demo-day clubs. So, I'm uncommitted right now on grip model. I do get good feel from the Tour Velvet on my backup set of SLDR irons.

I would like to try out the Golf Pride C2 and Pro that AB mentioned, see if the less taper built-in would lighten my touch.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Picked up a setup of Ping S55s that have the GolfPride MCC Plus 4 Midsize and really like them. Firm but grippy. I have a set of Lamkin Wrap-Tech midsize from the Golfsmith closing near me, and had planned to use those. I liked the GP so much I haven't wanted to change. I do love the Lamkin on my wedges though. Really nice feel and tacky.

On 10/19/2016 at 5:57 PM, Al Bundy said:

I've tried a few since I generally buy used clubs.  I started with Tour Velvets, but I have tried multi-compound, full cords, wraps, basic rubber, super tack, etc.  However, I've settled on Golf Pride CP2 Wraps and Pros in midsize.  They're very soft and tacky, but what I like most is the lack of taper.

I too like midsize; I'm on the cusp between regular and midsize grips in terms of hand size, and the larger grip just feels more comfortable and less like I'm going to helicopter the club into the lake. Currently I have Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G midsize on my numbered irons; Dry, they're great, nice and grippy, but just a little sweat or rain and they're slicker than snot against bare skin so a glove is a must. Not a huge fan but it's what I have on them this year.

What I wanted was the Lambkin tour wrap from 2-3 years ago, which I still have on my wedges. Dry or wet, glove or bare hands, these grips are nice and firm, but whether due to a rule change or because they were just too good and nobody was regripping, Lambkin stopped selling them, and their current wrap is as slick as the Golf Pride plus it has the extreme texturing in the middle of each band of the wrap which is my second most hated feature in a grip (my most hated being cord grips; they eat right through a glove in less than a round and your hands not long after)

On my woods and hybrid, I'm currently using Winn Dri-Tacs. They work, nice and soft yet grippy so I relax my grip and just swing. Durability's a concern; they only last about two years of infrequent playing.

For my putter, I have a Winn Dri-tac pistol grip in midsize, and it's absolutely perfect, fits my hands like a glove, good feel through the stroke. I don't like the extremely oversized Sure Strokes, but the standard grip is just too small for me. This is the perfect compromise. We'll see how long it lasts; I don't strangle my putter grip nor take wild swings with it so it should be good for a few years.

On 10/19/2016 at 5:57 PM, Al Bundy said:

Im a cp2 wrap guy myself. Right now Im rockin the midsize ones and I love them. Soft, durable, and no slip. The latter is super important cus I dont wear a glove :-D

On 10/20/2016 at 10:00 AM, BamaWade said:

BamaWade

I like these as well. I installed my own. I need to re-grip for next season. Iomic grips, described by @DaveP043 sound interesting though...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Doing new grips for the first time this winter, posting here to follow this one.

Was leaning towards the Golf Pride tour wraps for price and looks (right color of blue) but appreciate everyone's comments here to help me with the decision. 

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

I'm playing lamkin i-lines atm since I got a set of them for pretty cheap on close out. I really like the grips, but for some reason I decided to go to mid size ( I'm 6'2'' average sized hands ) and am sort of regretting it.

At first the larger grip felt nice compared to my smaller ones, but now that I've been playing a bit longer and I try clubs with smaller grips they feel so much better in my hand. Probably a 'grass is always greener' type deal going on. Not sure what to do next when I regrip!

13 minutes ago, Triggers said:

I'm playing lamkin i-lines atm since I got a set of them for pretty cheap on close out. I really like the grips, but for some reason I decided to go to mid size ( I'm 6'2'' average sized hands ) and am sort of regretting it.

At first the larger grip felt nice compared to my smaller ones, but now that I've been playing a bit longer and I try clubs with smaller grips they feel so much better in my hand. Probably a 'grass is always greener' type deal going on. Not sure what to do next when I regrip!

I'm similar, I am right in between both standard and mid-size but prefer standard.  Beyond the hand print test, the text I prefer is how much my fingertips dig into the palm of my hand when I'm gripping the club.  I use that as a check when I address the ball to make sure my grip isn't too tight.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!