IGNORED

Why is golf still viewed as a sport for the "minority"

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not so long ago i went to visit my sister and was talking to her youngest son. He's 10 years old plays rugby, learning guitar and like most kids loves his video games. He asked me if i still played golf, i said i did, he asked me why i played so i told him that its a great game, gets you out doors and all the usual stuff.

I told him i had a spare set of clubs, and being quite tall for his age, should be ok with the short irons if he fancied going to the range to have a go.

Now the response i got was fairly expeceted but still got me thinking. He said thanks but no thanks as he thought golf was a game for "old retired people or those who have lots of money and dont have to work" and that would put him off. I argued that its a game for everyone and that many young people play such as Jordan Speith, Ricky Fowler etc. "but golf is their job uncle Russ" fair point.

Now, not all youngsters view the sport this way but how can we say we need to get more young people taking up the sport, yet still (in some cases, not all) cling to the old ways and traditions with some clubs still discriminating against the other sex, outdated membership "interviews" and confusing rules?

Can golf shake off the old stereotypes and misguided views or do we just need to accept it the way it is?

• Upvote 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Money, in general is what makes the world go. Disposable money, to some extent, is what makes golf go. Next up is time to play the game. Your nephew is not that far off in his asessment of the game, and who plays it. 

I know when I play, and at most of the places I play at, I see more older folks, with extra time and money at their disposal. Yes, there are younger folks out there, but I tend to see more older folks than the younger ones. 

I am in my mid/late 60s. These days, I can't play the other sports as well as I use to. My reflexes are much slower.  My running, and jumping are suspect. Golf just fits me better these days. 

I don't really know what can be done to make golf more appealing to the younger folks. Certainly lower costs, shorter rounds would help for some youngsters to take up the game.

I have often thought that the speed of the other sports, is a big draw for youngsters. When compared to other sports, golf really is a slow game for someone with a ton of energy to burn up. The faster a game is played, the more reflexes come into play. Golf on the other hand is less reflex, and more of a thinking game. The thinking part seems to serve the older crowd better. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It's an interesting question this one...

I certainly had those preconceptions about golf before I tried it. The image it always conjured for me was the interfering older man in the pringle v-neck checking the crease on your trousers and asking what business you had on private property. My next door neighbour badgered me for years to get out for a round and I refused on the basis that I felt I wouldn't belong- being more of a music and soccer type of guy. In fact, when I finally agreed (after a few pints of Guiness it must be said), I was still quite apprehensive about going out on a golf course, the kind of feeling you get before a job interview. Of course, it was all largely unfounded- especially if you play on a public course, which I have quite a bit, but there are one or two courses that I have played on where I certainly felt a little out of my element and maybe that's where it comes from. When you're parked between a Range Rover and a Jaguar and you're pulling your second-hand clubs out of the boot of your 2007 Ford Focus you can't help but feel a little out of your league. But that's my problem.

It could also be that if you don't have a dad to bring you golfing (mine had no interest), it can be hard to access at a younger age, so you never develop a taste for it. Also, I think a lot of dads see golf as a release from family life so don't encourage their kids to join i in case it encroaches on their 'me-time'? I bring my six year old to the range fairly regularly and he loves it, and when he's a little older I may enroll him in one of the golf academies locally if he has the interest. So I suppose it's up to us golfing dads and mums to change those perceptions starting with our own?

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Patch said:

Money, in general is what makes the world go. Disposable money, to some extent, is what makes golf go. Next up is time to play the game. Your nephew is not that far off in his asessment of the game, and who plays it. 

I know when I play, and at most of the places I play at, I see more older folks, with extra time and money at their disposal. Yes, there are younger folks out there, but I tend to see more older folks than the younger ones. 

I am in my mid/late 60s. These days, I can't play the other sports as well as I use to. My reflexes are much slower.  My running, and jumping are suspect. Golf just fits me better these days. 

I don't really know what can be done to make golf more appealing to the younger folks. Certainly lower costs, shorter rounds would help for some youngsters to take up the game.

I have often thought that the speed of the other sports, is a big draw for youngsters. When compared to other sports, golf really is a slow game for someone with a ton of energy to burn up. The faster a game is played, the more reflexes come into play. Golf on the other hand is less reflex, and more of a thinking game. The thinking part seems to serve the older crowd better. 

With rergards to the money aspect, what i have seen in recent years (at my home course at least) is the type of "wealthy" person that plays. Before the car park was like a upscalee car dealer as you would have Mercs, BMW's, Jags and Audi's. These seem to be replaced by builders vans. It seems being a self empoyed contractor is where the money is these days.

5 minutes ago, cromulent said:

It's an interesting question this one...

I certainly had those preconceptions about golf before I tried it. The image it always conjured for me was the interfering older man in the pringle v-neck checking the crease on your trousers and asking what business you had on private property. My next door neighbour badgered me for years to get out for a round and I refused on the basis that I felt I wouldn't belong- being more of a music and soccer type of guy. In fact, when I finally agreed (after a few pints of Guiness it must be said), I was still quite apprehensive about going out on a golf course, the kind of feeling you get before a job interview. Of course, it was all largely unfounded- especially if you play on a public course, which I have quite a bit, but there are one or two courses that I have played on where I certainly felt a little out of my element and maybe that's where it comes from. When you're parked between a Range Rover and a Jaguar and you're pulling your second-hand clubs out of the boot of your 2007 Ford Focus you can't help but feel a little out of your league. But that's my problem.

It could also be that if you don't have a dad to bring you golfing (mine had no interest), it can be hard to access at a younger age, so you never develop a taste for it. Also, I think a lot of dads see golf as a release from family life so don't encourage their kids to join i in case it encroaches on their 'me-time'? I bring my six year old to the range fairly regularly and he loves it, and when he's a little older I may enroll him in one of the golf academies locally if he has the interest. So I suppose it's up to us golfing dads and mums to change those perceptions starting with our own?

Thats my plan. When my 3 yr old is a little older i want to take him. He has some mini clubs he hits around the garden and whenever i go golfing he asks if he can come.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

My dad had zero interest and I really didn't know anyone that played until the rather late age of 35.

I wanted to give it a try earlier, but the only thing I ever felt comfortable doing was the local driving range. Hitting the old ratty loaner clubs, I didn't think I could hit the ball well enough to even try a round on my own. It took a friend of my brothers to get me out on the course the first time. My fears were well founded, but my friend pushed me through my first painful, awkward rounds. That was five or six years ago.

From my perspective golf is somewhat of an older person's game.  Yes, being young and athletic is a plus with golf but it is not required.  There are a lot of single digit handicappers who would be hard pressed to jog a quarter mile.  Is there another sport where the average participant's age is closer to 60 than 30? Or where the primary mode of transport is via a motorized conveyance (USA) versus one's legs?

It tends to be a bit expensive compared to some other casual activities like running, tennis (as long as you don't play indoors), pick-up basketball, bowling. etc...  It takes more time unless one works at finding an opportunity to have a quick 9 holes (or 6!). At least in the USA, the people who have time and money are the older folks, like me.

Yes, the game needs to be more welcoming and work a bit at increasing participation.  We just can't expect to ever make the game a young person's game without a drastic re-work (think of a go kart track with golf holes incorporating electronics like "Top Golf").

Brian Kuehn

In Jacksonville, where I live, there are all sorts of golf courses.   Some are the exclusive country club types where you have to pay a huge initiation fee and can have your membership application blackballed by a single member, all the way down to the public courses that are patronized by the local rednecks, etc.   Where I play there are a lot of black guys playing, a lot of local rednecks, and a lot of the cars in the parking lot are 10-15 year old cars that look like hell.  Most of these guys are really serious golfers, though.  For $50 a month you get unlimited range balls and $20 greens fees.   So it's certainly not exclusive and it doesn't seem that expensive on the surface, but on the other hand, you have to buy clubs, you have to constantly buy golf balls, and it takes a lot of effort to play well. 

What's the average annual cost of being an avid golfer?   I'd say at least $2,000.   That includes greens fees, golf balls, ancillary supplies, etc.    It's not something a teenager can do unless they have a parent that will pay for it.    It's hard to grow the sport when most kids can't afford to play.  

Stereotypes are hard to shake, golf has the stigma of a sport played mostly by old, wealthy, white men, which in todays PC society is not a favorable demographic to be associated with.   

Overall the problem is that the majority of us are aware of the stereotype, I didn't start playing golf until I was 47 because I didn't realize how challenging and fun it was, it just looks easy on television.  

As kids get exposed to the game and realize that the top pro golfers today are as much athletes as many other sports  their opinion of the game will change.  

Joe Paradiso

I doubt it, the game has been trying for ages to no avail, I think young pros are given lots of TV attention on purpose for just this reason, they do everything they can to make it appeal to the youth, but it's futile, that view will never change.

On a personal level I'm happy about it, I have no interest in golf courses becoming a mall scene, young Americans just don't have the demeanor for golf, I can't imagine playing a course full of young people, just one group can haunt a round.

Edited by MrDC

There are virtually zero guys/gals my age (29) that are playing golf regularly. This goes for the 3 courses I frequent in my area.

There are a lot of college guys that are quite obviously still in school. I know most of them because my instructor was the head coach for their university. Plus they're carrying team bags and such. 

There's the guys my age (well, more 22-25) that come out and have no idea what they're doing and probably play once per year... but I don't really consider that "playing golf."

I started playing golf because I have metal in 5 of my 6 leg joints and it's a low impact sport. But I also have a fair amount of disposable income being that my wife and I both work full time and it helps that I have a degree in engineering... and we have no kids.

But I understand why there aren't more people like me (my age) playing regularly. They aren't like me. We're sort of a special case and golf fits for me. I mostly play with older guys/gals (age 40-85).

Edit: By the way, on my course's golf membership roster one of the owners told me I was the youngest on the list "by probably 15 years" lol

Edited by jkelley9
  • Upvote 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Thats not always true, but i get the kids point. I do moderately well financially, but I'm not "rich" by any means. I still have to work for a living. Lots of people that play do, too. I would actually say the majority of the people that play golf are working stiffs and not stuffy country club types. But the game takes dedication, patience and large blocks of disposable time to get good at, things i fear young ones don't generally have today. 

I also don't think the game is too expensive if you're clever. If you want top shelf clubs, play immaculately maintained courses and all of that then sure, it gets expensive. But i think you can play 30-40 rounds a year for under $1000 if you're thrifty. Thats nothing to shake a stick at, but not as much as alot of people think. 

• Upvote 1

Because it's expensive and takes a lot of time.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Played yesterday and lots of youngsters were attending a group golf lesson, Of all the golfers we played through only 1 set looked over 50, the rest were mid-late twenties, one group looked under 20

i think it depends where you play?

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I am 24 so I am a young golfer and from my point of view I rarely golf with others my age. I think it's not the annual cost of golf that hurts people I think it's the first initial cost that is the hardest to justify. Let's think you want to play a sport that you know nothing about. You need lessons, clubs, shoes, bags, tees, balls. The initial cost of golf is super exspensive. It's hard to justify that money if you don't know it's something you will love.The only reason I play golf is because my in laws all golf and I have never spent 1 penny on any equipment. Everything, all my irons, woods, and hybrids, balls, tees, bag, gloves all given to me they were hammydowns. They are all about 15 years old but they work. Only pay for green fees and because I am military my green fees are cheaper. I think someone my age can afford the green fees just the initial price to get equipment and keep getting equipment is just to much money. I don't think the whole persona of golf and getting dressed up is still there because for me I don't give a **** what anyone thinks about me so I will wear whatever to the golf course. I don't like to play fancy places where you have to dress up. I will put on a decent polo and khaki shorts but that all.

I have an 18 year old Grand Daughter, who went to the local Top Golf outlet with her boy friend this past holiday weekend. It was her first time for any serious golfing. 

The young lady has been to state in soccer, track, softball, and cheer. Her parents are well off money wise. The physical ability, and the money is there to play golf. 

When I asked how her golf expirience went, she flat out said "it sucked"...lol Said she made a complete fool out of herself trying to hit the ball. She said the only reason she went was because her boy friend wanted to go. She is not interested in golf on her own. This is just one example of a young person not wanting to give the game a chance. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

16 minutes ago, Patch said:

Said she made a complete fool out of herself trying to hit the ball.

^^^This is why kids (and adults) don't play. The rest are just excuses.

People have no clue how much clubs cost or how long it takes to play. They know it's hard and they don't want to look stupid. 

Golf use to be only for royalty and the high and powerful so that's where the old stereotypes and misguided views come from.

To have fun and be good at golf you need to dedicate time and money to it.

You can get a cheap set of clubs and discount balls and go play the cheapest goat track around drinking beers with your buds and still have fun at golf... this not killing the bank or chancing running into snotty people, but still playing and having some fun.  Not a bad way to start to see if golf is for you.

Now once you get into it, you can spend thousands on it or be smart and spend a little here and there to get what you need and upgrading when they have sales or getting last year or the year before hot new items.  You don't have to wear a suit but a nice polo shirt and decent shorts or trousers will do.  I like dressing like this as it is what I wear to work.  Don't really like the t shirt and jeans on the course.... some do but I don't.

Private and semi private clubs are where these views come from.  Hey, wealthy people can afford the $10,000 membership and all the cost associated with being a member.  That's fine.  If I was loaded I would be doing the same.  Some of the semi's are really bad.  We have a local one that they are snotty nosed, stuck up butt wipes.  Can only play these two days and between these hours!!!  Some of the rules they have are ridiculous.  Its the old guys who don't want anyone playing "their" course so they make it hard for anyone to want to play there or become a member.  Hey, you will be dead in another 10 - 15 years and then what???  Close down because you were so snotty and snobby to people that might have wanted to join but you scared them away!!!

Hey, I am not rich but I am not poor either.  I have some nice gear that didn't break the bank and I play at a lot of places ranging in price.  I don't play the expensive ones as much but I do play them.  I got my son into golf and we have a ton of fun playing together.  We have met some really nice people that were blue and white collar people and many different races.

Golf is awesome... lets play!!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

2 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

^^^This is why kids (and adults) don't play. The rest are just excuses.

People have no clue how much clubs cost or how long it takes to play. They know it's hard and they don't want to look stupid. 

That's the crux of it but to get good at golf it takes time and some money (lessons, range time, practice rounds) which most people don't see sufficient ROI on to dedicate to the sport.  

I found similar attitudes in running, most runners don't mind training for a 5K, some will move on to 10K's.  Once you get past 10K and start considering half and full marathons you're talking about a lot of hard work and training hours per week just to finish in the allotted time, which most people don't have the desire to put in. 

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!