IGNORED

Ever Been Hit by a Golf Ball?

Wanzo

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

Then there was the time that @Jeremie Boop hit himself with a golf ball at Kittyhawk.

Too late, already told on myself :-)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, mcanadiens said:

He beat you to it. Look right above mine.

Lol. I see that now.

Which reminds me. @Jeremie Boop still owes me for the underwear that I had to toss after that hosel rocket shot hit the cart next to my head.

- Shane

Caught one in the shin when my cousin thinned a chip shot. Luckily for me I've hit myself in the shins enough times with my wedge by accident that I didn't really feel it.

approx 5 weeks ago, I was at driving range in an end bay, I belted one that flew off to the right and hit some cover that the owners had built around the drainpipe running down the wall, the ball came right back and banged me smack on the shin bone, left a beautiful purple and blue/yellow mark for a couple of weeks, not shanked it since yet thankfully but I don't go in the end bay anymore just in case!!!! :D

Never hit by a golf ball, but a donkey one stood on my foot. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Got hit in the lower right back with a line drive during my high school caddie days at Algonquin in St. Louis.

HitNo7JPO.jpg

I was washing a ball (X) on No. 7 tee when a player from No. 14 tee hit a snap hook with an iron. The hole was uphill, short and tight, so most players used a long iron off the tee. I was fortunate it was an uphill shot, or the ball might have hit me in the head.

Everyone made sure I was OK, and then the hitter apologized. When I finished up No. 18, the hitter had a sandwich and a cold drink waiting for me at the caddie shack. No lawsuits - everybody wanted to look tough back in those days.

It was a turning point in my golf sensitivity. To this day, I can hear a golf ball humming on the wind, and sidestep an incoming shot.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 1/1/2017 at 3:55 PM, Hatchman said:

No, but I hit a guy.  He called me up to the green to play through and I hit my iron right where he was standing on the green.   He kind of froze after moving back and forth then it smacked him in the chest.  Won't do that again. 

That used to be SOP on par 3's  when everybody walked. Once everyone was on the green you'd mark your balls, stand aside, and let the following group hit their tee shots. Then you'd putt out while they walked up.

After I, and some of my buddies, nearly got conked while "standing aside" I started joking that we should all cluster around the flagstick since that seemed to be the safest place around!

Joking aside, getting hit by a golf ball can be some serious business! I saw a guy at a Buy.com event near Cleveland, OK, don't know why this is underlining, tried to cancel it, but it won't do so.

Anyway, this guy was sitting in the stands at a long par 3, and took one dead in the face! It looked like he had gone a couple of hard rounds with Mike Tyson! The player was giving him all kinds of stuff to make up for it, and the guy was trying to tough it out and be a good sport, but I'd have gone for medical attention. The guy's right cheekbone looked like it was caved in, there was blood everywhere, and the right side of his face was starting to swell!

I've had some close calls where balls went whizzing by me, and some of those were really scary!

• Upvote 1

Not only have I been hit by a golf ball, I can unequivocally state that I was hit by someone who's been a Walker Cup player, a PGA Tour player, a Charles Schwab Cup winner, a winner of 11 events on the Champions Tour, including 4 majors (a PGA Seniors in 1999, a Senior Players Championship in 2001, and 2 U.S. Senior Opens in 2005 and 2006). Can anyone here top that? OK, I've only been hit once, but the guy that hit me...Allen Doyle... is a legend in a number of places, particularly in Georgia.

Actually, Allen and I are brothers, and we grew up in Norwood, MA, where there were no golf courses back in the 50's when we were kids. We lived across the street from a big field, and we'd routinely go over there to practice, and to play "holes" that we'd created between some of the trees. One day we were playing one of those "holes", and I'd walked ahead to see where my previous wayward shot may have come to rest, I heard Allen yell "Fore!" and briefly looked upwards, only to be greeted a few seconds later with a golf ball striking me squarely on the top of the head. I don't recall a lot, but I can say that it did hurt quite a bit, and the fact that it bounced a good 50 yards or so straight up caused my brother to erupt into uncontrollable (and, to me, quite irritating) gales of laughter. Of course, the more I complained, the more he laughed...and the more he laughed, the more pissed off I got. 

Now, many years later, that field where we created our own little facsimile of a golf course is now a cemetery, where our beloved mom and dad are buried....no more than 30 or 40 yards from where I got beaned by Allen's errant shot.  Any time we travel east to visit family, we pay our respects to them, and it's hard not to crack a smile as we approach the gravesite. I'm not sure that mom and dad even knew about my beaning at the time, but I'm sure they know about it by now.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Not only have I been hit by a golf ball, I can unequivocally state that I was hit by someone who's been a Walker Cup player, a PGA Tour player, a Charles Schwab Cup winner, a winner of 11 events on the Champions Tour, including 4 majors (a PGA Seniors in 1999, a Senior Players Championship in 2001, and 2 U.S. Senior Opens in 2005 and 2006). Can anyone here top that? OK, I've only been hit once, but the guy that hit me...Allen Doyle... is a legend in a number of places, particularly in Georgia.

Actually, Allen and I are brothers, and we grew up in Norwood, MA, where there were no golf courses back in the 50's when we were kids. We lived across the street from a big field, and we'd routinely go over there to practice, and to play "holes" that we'd created between some of the trees. One day we were playing one of those "holes", and I'd walked ahead to see where my previous wayward shot may have come to rest, I heard Allen yell "Fore!" and briefly looked upwards, only to be greeted a few seconds later with a golf ball striking me squarely on the top of the head. I don't recall a lot, but I can say that it did hurt quite a bit, and the fact that it bounced a good 50 yards or so straight up caused my brother to erupt into uncontrollable (and, to me, quite irritating) gales of laughter. Of course, the more I complained, the more he laughed...and the more he laughed, the more pissed off I got. 

Now, many years later, that field where we created our own little facsimile of a golf course is now a cemetery, where our beloved mom and dad are buried....no more than 30 or 40 yards from where I got beaned by Allen's errant shot.  Any time we travel east to visit family, we pay our respects to them, and it's hard not to crack a smile as we approach the gravesite. I'm not sure that mom and dad even knew about my beaning at the time, but I'm sure they know about it by now.

Fun story, thanks for sharing!

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

I used to caddy a bit in high school. One time when I was forecaddying, I lost my player's ball in the sun and it nearly hit me. Missed me by maybe a foot.

I've had golf balls land on a green I'm putting on, but I can't think of any specific instances where it was particularly close to me.

The closest I've come to hitting someone was this time on the driving range before a high school match. I wasn't even fooling around or anything, but I hit a ball so badly off the toe that it went between the legs of the kid who was in front of/beside me. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

At the range. A guy getting lessons about 8 bays behind me somehow managed to hit me in the back of my hand. The pro said the ball hit everything except the lottery before it got to me. He gave me a 10 bucket punch card though.

I've been hit three times, twice by my own shot (see other thread) and once by someone else.  This latter event I had hit my tee shot and was walking down the fairway chatting with my buddy and someone from the adjacent fairway hit a big slice and hit my shin on the fly.  I went down like I'd be shot with a thirty thirty.  The fellow came over and apologized.   I finished the round, just a couple of holes left, but ended up in the hospital later that evening with blood clots in my leg. But no permanent damage, I was lucky I wasn't hit in the head.

Butch

15 hours ago, Pendragon said:

And now Norwood is one giant car dealership! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yup. Freak thing. Around 10 years ago or so. Was on the 17th fairway, slight dogleg, 230ish yards out. Was back and forth across the fw looking for a lost ball. My buddies were waiting to tee off. When I went back to my cart, one hit his drive. I was bending into the cart to get another ball. His drive went into the cart, hitting me in the side of my nose. He thought his drive was good. Blood everywhere, partners came running over. Thought I broke my schnoz. Was a bit woozy. No blood on my new shoes thankfully. Normally from upstate NY, I would drive home, by my wife(at the time) would not let me. So I cot to sit and have beers amd shots the rest of the day though, from the guy who hit that drive. He felt like crap for weeks . Went to the doctor the next day, had a deviated septum. Turns out my wife thanked the guy because It cut back on my snoring. ;-)

I was in the fairway close to the green on a blind dogleg par 4. Guy on the tee apparently cuts the corner and his ball hits me in the stomach. Damn that hurt and it left a bruise for about a week. Finished the round though.

Have to play a little one-ups-man-ship on this one.  Hit by a golf ball, Yes.  Hit by your own golf ball, Yes.  Knocked yourself out with your own golf ball while practicing...... Yes.  Good luck topping this one.

I was just learning how to play and was hitting my cousins clubs into a pasture at my house.  I hit a 7 iron into a fence post 10 yards in front of me (with my dad watching) and it came right back at me.  I had just enough time to start to dodge as it was heading dead center between my eyes, so I dunked to the left just enough to catch the ball right above the right eye socket.  Next thing I know I am on my hands and knees looking at a puddle of blood in the grass.  I still have the scar on my eyelid to prove it.

1 hour ago, IndianaDundee said:

Have to play a little one-ups-man-ship on this one.  Hit by a golf ball, Yes.  Hit by your own golf ball, Yes.  Knocked yourself out with your own golf ball while practicing...... Yes.  Good luck topping this one.

I was just learning how to play and was hitting my cousins clubs into a pasture at my house.  I hit a 7 iron into a fence post 10 yards in front of me (with my dad watching) and it came right back at me.  I had just enough time to start to dodge as it was heading dead center between my eyes, so I dunked to the left just enough to catch the ball right above the right eye socket.  Next thing I know I am on my hands and knees looking at a puddle of blood in the grass.  I still have the scar on my eyelid to prove it.

Wow, You win!  Or lose I guess. :hmm:

• Upvote 1

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet