IGNORED

Jim Furyk Officially 2018 U.S. Ryder Cup Captain

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

It's official.

It's Jim.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Jim Furyk Officially 2018 U.S. Ryder Cup Captain

I think people are being too hard on Furyk. Sure, he has one of the worst records in Ryder Cup history but his style of play was never suited for match play to begin with. But Furyk has been a top player for many years without much "weaponry" to rely on. Clearly the man has a lot of guile or else he wouldn't have had the career he has had. 

• Upvote 4

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, SavvySwede said:

I think people are being too hard on Furyk. Sure, he has one of the worst records in Ryder Cup history but his style of play was never suited for match play to begin with. But Furyk has been a top player for many years without much "weaponry" to rely on. Clearly the man has a lot of guile or else he wouldn't have had the career he has had. 

Yep!

Plus I love old guys with goofy golf swings!   

:-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

20 hours ago, Big C said:

I actually think Furyk is the perfect Ryder Cup captain. Guys don't need or want a hard ass leader (look at Tom Watson & Nick Faldo). They want someone they like and respect to rally around. Furyk has an easy going persona, but he's close enough to today's elite, that he can command their respect.

agree - the best leaders are NOT angry pushy bossy types.  good leaders help inspire, create a vision that people can adopt, and do what it takes to let the best performers shine on their own

the tough, pushy boss stereotype has been dead for a couple generations - except for a-holes

Listen/lead/follow - yes

tell/yell/push - no

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

On 1/10/2017 at 0:45 PM, CarlSpackler said:

I'm thinking that we might as well forfeit. I like the guy, but don't think he has the moxie. JMO.

Interesting.  I have the opposite opinion on Furyk.  Sure, he's been less reliable/succesful in his last couple Ryder Cups (I'm being generous) but I still remember him more as a bulldog and grinder.  Someone who doesn't give up.  That's the kind of guy I want in my corner.

Plus, as @Big C said, I think the guys respect him a lot.  I have no issues with the pick.

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

11 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

Interesting.  I have the opposite opinion on Furyk.  Sure, he's been less reliable/succesful in his last couple Ryder Cups (I'm being generous) but I still remember him more as a bulldog and grinder.  Someone who doesn't give up.  That's the kind of guy I want in my corner.

Plus, as @Big C said, I think the guys respect him a lot.  I have no issues with the pick.

I hope I'm wrong about him. 

- Shane

Welp, not ruling himself out as a playing captain.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Although I suppose there's a decent chance he qualifies on points anyway. But I would not be pleased if he uses a captain's pick on himself.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

He's ranked 37, it could happen. If he wasn't hurt lately he'd probably be ranked higher. He doesn't win a lot but when heathy he usually near the top of the board so he's a points machine.

Dave :-)

I have no problem with this pick. I always looked at RC captain as a front man, and scheduler. Furyk can handle this job. Also, if the players lose the match,  it would be tougher to blame him for their losses. 

As for being a playing captain, I say why not. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 1/10/2017 at 7:12 PM, Big C said:

I actually think Furyk is the perfect Ryder Cup captain. Guys don't need or want a hard ass leader (look at Tom Watson & Nick Faldo). They want someone they like and respect to rally around. Furyk has an easy going persona, but he's close enough to today's elite, that he can command their respect.

I agree with those that think that the Ryder Cup captains don't really matter. But to the 5-10% extent that they do, a guy like Furyk is a great choice, IMO.

And a classy professional to boot. Well deserved.

On 1/11/2017 at 2:15 PM, SavvySwede said:

So well said. And to boot he wasn't always used the smartest in the pairings given his length disadvantage, but he soldiered on and fought the best he could.

Kevin

They should allow the European team five times as many players as most years.  Jim Furyk knows a thing or two about beating 60 in golf. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 1/21/2017 at 10:48 PM, Shindig said:

They should allow the European team five times as many players as most years.  Jim Furyk knows a thing or two about beating 60 in golf. 

Let people understand what you're on about.

Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!