IGNORED

How can I reduce Driver noise?

Note: This thread is 2542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a Ping G30 driver which has always made a loud sound on impact.  It was always noticeable but not really a problem.

I took some lessons recently and did a bit of practicing and I'm hitting my driver a lot better than I used to, but the sound is now a bit of an issue.  I don't know if it is because I am hitting with a slightly higher swing speed, or that I've just been hitting a lot of drives, but it sounds much louder now.

Is there anything I can do to make it quieter?  I got fitted for a GBB Epic Subzero and that seems to have a much more muted impact sound - but that is quite an expensive solution!  I read online that maybe putting cotton balls into the head might do the trick - is that a real thing?  If anyone has any solutions I'd appreciate some ideas.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Have you tried wrapping it in a pillow? 

:whistle:

Mine sounds like a bazooka sometimes when I hit it. It's kind of annoying, so I feel your pain. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Ping G is quieter.  When I played the G30, it only got louder with really good hits.  I don't think you'd want to ruin the integrity of the clubhead by putting anything inside of it.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

40 minutes ago, ZappyAd said:

Is there anything I can do to make it quieter?

Stop hitting the ball solidly. Shots way off the heel or toe will be nice and muted! :-P

Seriously, no, there isn't. You'd have to get a new driver. There is no modification that would actually help without having a serious impact on performance.

Also, if there was, at least one OEM would have released a sound-tunable driver by now.

• Upvote 1

- John

The old TM Superfast Burners were really loud. I always thought it was kind of cool. 

In all honesty the reason I'm thinking about it is concern about my hearing.  It struck me that if I am hitting 30-50 drives in a practice session then that is a lot of noise hitting my ears!  (I have worked with some professional drummers in the past and the tales they have about the impact of hearing damage are pretty stark.  It's not that things just get quieter but stuff like vertigo, tinnitus etc all sound pretty life changing.)

I think it is only really a problem in the close confines of a driving range and I can at worst start wearing ear buds.  Just wondering if there is another option.

Adam

I used to be pretty big into car audio and a commonly used sound dampener is Hushmat or Dynamat.  Its just a dense butyl rubber compound with an aluminum back for integrity and easy application.  Its the stuff you'll see on tambourines and other "tinny" instruments on the shop floor.  Just a one square inch application on a small to medium sized tambourine completely kills the sound. No ringing after, just the initial contact noise. Kills the vibrations.  Its meant to be used on aluminum (car doors, trunks, etc.) so I don't see why you shouldn't try it.  Try a small application to the bottom and crown of the driver.  Only difficult part would be making it look good, a small square would be stupid, but covering the whole crown in black it might not be too noticeable.  

I always liked Hushmat as it was black with no logos.  Dynamat is usually chrome if that fits your look better.  Its usually sold in bulk to do the whole car, but you could probably pick up a sheet for $15 if your shop sells them.  Pick some up and let us know how it goes!  

10 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I don't get it. I want the sound of my monster drive to be heard from 5 miles away. :-)

I kind of do too, as long as it's a sharp, authoritative "crack"! There was a Driver that came out a few years ago that made a sound like an aluminum softball bat! I didn't like that sound at all! I still remember the sound of a persimmon Driver hitting a balata covered ball. It sounded like a rifle shot!

On 5/5/2017 at 11:26 AM, ZappyAd said:

I have a Ping G30 driver which has always made a loud sound on impact.  It was always noticeable but not really a problem.

I took some lessons recently and did a bit of practicing and I'm hitting my driver a lot better than I used to, but the sound is now a bit of an issue.  I don't know if it is because I am hitting with a slightly higher swing speed, or that I've just been hitting a lot of drives, but it sounds much louder now.

Is there anything I can do to make it quieter?  I got fitted for a GBB Epic Subzero and that seems to have a much more muted impact sound - but that is quite an expensive solution!  I read online that maybe putting cotton balls into the head might do the trick - is that a real thing?  If anyone has any solutions I'd appreciate some ideas.

Low density foam might be a good option. They used to put it inside woods when steel heads first came out but quickly stopped the practice after realizing consumers associated the louder sound with more power.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

On 5/5/2017 at 10:46 AM, ZappyAd said:

In all honesty the reason I'm thinking about it is concern about my hearing.  It struck me that if I am hitting 30-50 drives in a practice session then that is a lot of noise hitting my ears!  (I have worked with some professional drummers in the past and the tales they have about the impact of hearing damage are pretty stark.  It's not that things just get quieter but stuff like vertigo, tinnitus etc all sound pretty life changing.)

I think it is only really a problem in the close confines of a driving range and I can at worst start wearing ear buds.  Just wondering if there is another option.

i seriously doubt that the crack of a driver would be loud enough to cause any hearing loss. However, a decibel meter could prove me wrong. If you are really concerned use ear plugs.

23 hours ago, Ladysmanfelpz said:

I used to be pretty big into car audio and a commonly used sound dampener is Hushmat or Dynamat. 

Thanks for the suggestion - I wonder how heavy it is?  I think u have to be careful not to adjust swing weight too much.  Each cotton ball is about half a gram so you can use a few before it alters the swing weight (I think it was 6 or 12 to go up one level from d2)

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Low density foam might be a good option. They used to put it inside woods when steel heads first came out but quickly stopped the practice after realizing consumers associated the louder sound with more power.

I did think about this but I guess it is a no way back option.  I've also read about 'hot melt' which also might one way only.

1 hour ago, ev780 said:

seriously doubt that the crack of a driver would be loud enough to cause any hearing loss. However, a decibel meter could prove me wrong. If you are really concerned use ear plugs.

I just did a quick Google and it looks like there have been studies that suggest there could be an issue but it doesn't seem like anyone has done anything about it.  Maybe ear plugs for the driving range it is.

Adam

My driver isn't loud enough so I have to do this when I hit it. Actually, I've even started doing it when I take it outta the bag.

Colin P.

One quick thing to try, before going to the specialty materials above, would just be some squares or strips of tape. Gaffers tape doesn't leave any residue if you happen to have some but it's expensive if you don't. I've used it on cymbals in the past to tone down excess high-pitched overtones. You could also try duct tape or something like that.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:26 AM, ZappyAd said:

Yes, this is actually a real thing.  Cotton balls will dampen the sound, and don't weigh enough to change the dynamics of the club.  The driver has to have a removable weight screw to access the inside of the head though.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I hope I'm just missing it...but this talk about hearing concern regarding driver sound is a joke right? I mean I'm well aware the younger pop is flocking to clinics for runny noses lasting more than 2 days....but this is pretty silly. Don't bother posting a link where you've seen 'discussion' over it. In today's times you can find some concern over anything. Just let it go. Relax. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 2017-5-7 at 8:12 PM, Vinsk said:

I hope I'm just missing it...but this talk about hearing concern regarding driver sound is a joke right? I mean I'm well aware the younger pop is flocking to clinics for runny noses lasting more than 2 days....but this is pretty silly. Don't bother posting a link where you've seen 'discussion' over it. In today's times you can find some concern over anything. Just let it go. Relax. 

lol thanks for the free medical advice but I'll just ignore it.  It isn't relevant to the question in the original post.

On 2017-5-6 at 11:42 PM, drmevo said:

One quick thing to try, before going to the specialty materials above, would just be some squares or strips of tape. Gaffers tape doesn't leave any residue if you happen to have some but it's expensive if you don't. I've used it on cymbals in the past to tone down excess high-pitched overtones. You could also try duct tape or something like that.

I have some Gaffer tape so I'll give that a go - thanks.

On 2017-5-7 at 3:31 AM, 1badbadger said:

Yes, this is actually a real thing.  Cotton balls will dampen the sound, and don't weigh enough to change the dynamics of the club.  The driver has to have a removable weight screw to access the inside of the head though.

G30 has this weight port and it is just about possible to get cotton balls in (and out).

On 2017-5-6 at 6:59 PM, ev780 said:

i seriously doubt that the crack of a driver would be loud enough to cause any hearing loss. However, a decibel meter could prove me wrong. If you are really concerned use ear plugs.

I read that a G10 was measured at 110 decibels and drivers don't seem to be getting quieter so G30 could well be there too.  Plus in a closed back driving range with hard reflective surfaces and an angled roof the acoustics might make it worse.  Like you say ear plugs are probably the easiest solution.

Adam

Note: This thread is 2542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!