IGNORED

dress code

kiwi g
Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

do you think golf needs to relax its dress code  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think golf needs to relax its dress code?

• yes
    • no

I'm just going to agree with a large percentage of the previous posters.  I believe there are golf courses available to cater to all types of clothing preferences.  I too would feel odd playing golf in jeans, even though I'll go to the range, or to the tavern at the club in jeans.  I grew up playing in jeans, and when the weather got warm, I played in cutoff jeans.  But now, I wear proper pants or shorts, and a golf shirt.  I'm not wild about the look of cargo shorts or pants, but our club allows them, and I wouldn't push to change that.  I prefer shirts to be tucked in, it looks more appropriate to me, but I wouldn't make that a requirement.  Hats have a brim to keep the sun out of your eyes, not to prevent you getting sunburn on your neck.  

I think to some extent, the idea of dressing properly for golf fits in with the idea of golf being a game of honor, of players choosing to play within the rules.  I've read about an occasional instance of a dress code being overdone, or over-enforced, but for the most part I think they're pretty reasonable.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Midpack said:

And most of the relatively few who are still boating have laughably limited boathandling skills and use their boats as floating condos and/or an excuse to drink non-stop from Fri evening though midday Sunday.

If it helps this crowd, boating has/is declining more rapidly than golf...

Mp,

You brought back memories of a Wednesday afternoon in the 1980s.

I was working for the newspaper in Guthrie, OK (north of OKC). Being it was Wednesday at noon, I has already worked about 36 hours that week and wanted to take a break with some golf.

I took my golf bag out of the trunk to check its pockets, and up comes a farmer in a pickup with a hefty fishing boat in tow behind. He looks at me and says, "Isn't playing golf awful expensive?"

"I golf because I can't afford a Bass boat," I replied. He just laughed and shook his head.

------

History lesson aside, is there any chance we can lure the tentative boaters into golf? In golf, you get to play in the water without the cost of owning a boat.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I personally don't care what people wear at public courses. I choose to wear a collar and non-cargo pants/short (never owned any tbf). I'm more offended by the jogger pants with a cuff. But if a private club has a dress code, I support their right to have one and enforce it. We had to wear pants at the club I worked at in college, and got called out by a member one time during the winter when I wore canvas type work pants. They were khaki colored and no extra pockets and were tailored fit... just made of a heavier material that apparently was too close to denim. Kevin Kisner wears something similar from time to time on tour, and I think about that member and wonder if it upsets him.

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

Wow, what exactly is the issue with cargo shorts similar in length to "golf shorts?" That seems like picking nits, and I began playing golf in the mid 60's when it really was a "gentlemens(and ladies) game." Or are those objecting referring to the long, baggy shorts that have lots of pockets?

1 minute ago, Midpack said:

Or are those objecting referring to the long, baggy shorts that have lots of pockets?

These are the ones I'm not fond of, and that are disallowed at some places

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 hours ago, WUTiger said:

On target! When I caddied years ago in St. Louis, jeans were just too hot on course from May to September.

That's why they pronounce it Misery.

• Upvote 1

Do I think "Golf" should relax its dress code?

I don't even know what that means.  it varies so much from club to club that a "golf" dress code is meaningless.

Private clubs can have whatever rules they want on the topic.  If it helps them be a success, great.  If it doesn't, then they should change or fail.  Simple as that.

Public Clubs - that's a totally different discussion and leaks into various social/political philosophies that just aren't fun to discuss on forums lately.

My personal preference (as long as it fits in and respects the code of the course I'm on)?  In decent weather, I like to wear a collared 'golf' shirt, cargo shorts, golf shoes, short socks, and a ball cap.  the shirt is comfy and breathes and moves easy and is non-restricted.  the shorts breathe and I like the pockets and moves easy.  belt.  I like a cap especially if it's sunny.  I tuck the shirt in because I don't like a breeze or having my underwear show, and it helps me keep my shorts from slipping.  This is all functional, not looks nor out of a perception of the nature of some game - the same effort goes into what I choose for lifting or running or any other activity.  I wouldn't feel arrogant enough to force my dress on anyone else nor try to get policy anywhere I play to do that.

I've played with guys in formal old time attire, and with guys in cutoffs with wife beater tanks.  Neither played better or worse in general than the others, and the guys in cutoffs were typically more courteous and personable - YMMV

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

If there was a "don't care" option i would have voted for it. Personally, i don't care what people wear to golf as long as there are no derogatory slogans printed on it. I do believe droconian dress codes to repel people though.  Like this one place i played in Mass that had a dress code that stated only black or brown belts could be worn, and no "voit colors" like bright greens, oranges, pinks or blues. I was wearing kind of a indian motif belt that day and i was told i wouldnt be allowed on the tee until i removed it. Thats just f'ing ridiculous and needs to end. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, WUTiger said:

How does "Make America Great Again" insult anyone?

Granted, you might take offense if you're a hyper-globalist who renounced his US citizenship while sipping a double-decaf espresso at the local latté shop.

Yes, take my post very seriously. Look, I don't mind if you wear a "Make America White Again" shirt. 

"Witty golf quote."

12 hours ago, WUTiger said:

How does "Make America Great Again" insult anyone?

Granted, you might take offense if you're a hyper-globalist who renounced his US citizenship while sipping a double-decaf espresso at the local latté shop.

Please leave the 'expresso' out of this mess !!..:-D

Vishal S.

Most of the courses in my area, public and private, have a similar dress code - collared shirt, no denim, reasonable shorts (a few do not allow cargo shorts).  There are a few where almost anything goes, but I cannot bring myself to not wear standard golf attire wherever I play.  I always believed that it showed respect for the game regardless of where I was playing. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I prefer shirts to be tucked in,

^^^^^:-P

No matter what type of course I play, I always wear golf pants or shorts, no jeans or cargo shorts, just not comfortable to me, and a collared shirt.  

But what is even more uncomfortable to me is tucking a golf shirt in and wearing a belt.  Can't stand it on the golf course, and don't really like doing it for work, but can't get around that one.

Gus
---------------

13 minutes ago, JGus said:

^^^^^:-P

No matter what type of course I play, I always wear golf pants or shorts, no jeans or cargo shorts, just not comfortable to me, and a collared shirt.  

But what is even more uncomfortable to me is tucking a golf shirt in and wearing a belt.  Can't stand it on the golf course, and don't really like doing it for work, but can't get around that one.

I always wear a golf polo and decent shorts/pants, but I haven't tucked it my shirt for I don't know how long. I'd be tucking in back in after every full swing? Guess I'm a slob WRT golf attire. I try to be polite and courteous and observe the rules to offset.

Edited by Midpack

Coming off the competitive softball circuit, I appreciate the dress code, formal or informal with golf.  On sunny days playing softball, I've seen the "sun's out, guns out" mantra all too close.  Not to mention that a generally much lower class of individuals play softball, (who might actually bring real guns to the ballpark), compared to golf.  I consider myself a gentleman, and I appreciate the introspective approach to golf compared to chest-pumping, combative nature of softball.  Plus, its fun to buy a nice Travis Matthew polo to match the Oxford slacks.  Much better than dirty softball pants and a sweaty jersey.

3 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

respect for the game 

sorry to exploit your post - but that is really an unusual phrase if you think about it.  Can't for the life of me understand how one respects a "game" instead of people...(I'm making a point, I get the comment, bear with me)

I respect other players by:

• staying quiet during their swings
  • keeping up pace of play
  • being friendly
  • not hitting into them
  • raking the sand
  • picking up trash
  • NOT leaving ashes, seeds, or ballmarks all over the course and greens
  • fixing extra ballmarks when I see them
  • NOT smoking on the course
  • not walking on their lines
  • (I don't listen to music, but if I did, keeping it low)
  • etc etc etc

None of this requires others to do anything for me to do these, it's all on me.

If someone does all this, I don't care one bit what they are wearing - they are true gentlemen and ladies and the best representatives of the activity, IMHO.  Actions count, not cosmetic stuff.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Upvote 3

Bill - 

21 hours ago, rehmwa said:

sorry to exploit your post - but that is really an unusual phrase if you think about it.  Can't for the life of me understand how one respects a "game" instead of people...(I'm making a point, I get the comment, bear with me)

I respect other players by:

• staying quiet during their swings
  • keeping up pace of play
  • being friendly
  • not hitting into them
  • raking the sand
  • picking up trash
  • NOT leaving ashes, seeds, or ballmarks all over the course and greens
  • fixing extra ballmarks when I see them
  • NOT smoking on the course
  • not walking on their lines
  • (I don't listen to music, but if I did, keeping it low)
  • etc etc etc

None of this requires others to do anything for me to do these, it's all on me.

If someone does all this, I don't care one bit what they are wearing - they are true gentlemen and ladies and the best representatives of the activity, IMHO.  Actions count, not cosmetic stuff.

I totally understand and agree with respecting other people on the golf course but let me make an attempt at explaining what I mean by respecting the game.  The game to me is much more than the mechanics of a golf swing and the Rules of Golf.  The game of golf consists of a long tradition of great golfers, golf course designs, literature, and art.  The game is self monitored and is based upon honesty and integrity of the participants.  Some of us feel that dressing in a manner that is "neat" while playing golf is one way to pay tribute to the great game of golf and its history of well dressed (and well mannered!) golfers.  By today's standards we are talking about a polo and reasonable pair of slacks or shorts, which for some of us is not oppressive or stand-offish.

My father caddied during the depression at an exclusive club (most were at that time) but developed a love for the game by watching the golfers he caddied for and playing on Monday's with hand me down or home made clubs (tree-saplings grown on the side of a hill).  He knew of all of the golfers of the time and read and learned about the history of the game.  He tried unsuccessfully to get my sister and myself into the game by taking us to the range and even buying me a full set of golf lessons when I graduated college (at age 40 I finally got the bug).  I do remember that every time we went to the range my father would be dressed in proper golf attire.  I never questioned it but he did say that when you play (or practice) golf you should look like a golfer to show respect for the game.  I am not sure if I explained it well but it has always made sense to me.  

46 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

The game to me is much more than the mechanics of a golf swing and the Rules of Golf.  The game of golf consists of a long tradition

Absolutely agree. Golf is a cultural endeavor and a also game. So I voted "no". 

But I think at the different price points the courses more or less self-regulate: the local cheap-o tracks are crawling with scalawags in muscle shirts and jeans. Just up the road as prices rise you see the ladies and men in matching attire. I think people play where they feel comfortable.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:20 AM, NCGolfer said:

I honestly feel odd if I play in jeans or a non-collared shirt.  Can I hit balls at a range like that, sure.  But playing, I just can't do it.  Even when I take my younger boys with me I make them put on collared shirts...they always give me the funniest look and ask "Why?"  My answer?  "Because that's what golfers wear."

Our club has a collared shirt and no-denim policy.  The public courses do not.  With similar rates you attract different clientele which is the point of the policy (if you ask me.)  I'm A-OK with that.

I'll ask a different question...If you had the option of playing two different courses, both very similar in conditions, would you pay an extra $3-5 for one that had a dress code over one that did not?

I would.  Call me a snob.

I would pay the extra to play at the the course which allowed jeans and t-shirts as long as they were neat and clean (I still would draw the line at wearing dirty jeans from the grease pit straight to the course).  I see no reason why the code can't be something like that rather than specify fabrics and styles.  I've played 3 tournaments so far this year and in every foursome I played with, at least 3 of us were in jeans.  The weather was not conducive to shorts, or they would have been about the same proportion of cargo shorts.  I don't see any of the guys wearing t-shirts, although there is no code prohibiting them, and many of those same guys wear t-shirts for casual play.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:59 AM, Midpack said:

+1, the exact same dilemma sailing faces. Boomers and older cling to the "yacht" club culture and vigorously bemoan any attempt to change anything! While almost everyone under the age of 50 are staying away in droves. And most of the relatively few who are still boating have laughably limited boathandling skills and use their boats as floating condos and/or an excuse to drink non-stop from Fri evening though midday Sunday.

If it helps this crowd, boating has/is declining more rapidly than golf...

I'm a 70 year old boomer and I abhor the "yacht club culture".

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!